Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th June 2016, 15:24   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Unused Stepney - Better resale value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
This made me wonder if such cars would demand a better resale assuming that since the stepney was never used implies that the car was driven on good roads and taken care of or the owner/driver had to always lucky to have a flat tyre right in front of puncture repair shops for all the time that he drove the car.
Great thread & post. This is just one of those things that started with a wise guy who said "never used my stepney, that's how good my car is" and then, everyone else followed. Just makes me wonder if a lady who is a Parsi and professionally a doctor will get thrice the resale value?

That said, my City Vtec & Civic both had a 5th alloy wheel. My rims were bought from the after-market and I made it a point to buy them in a set of 5 (which is rare). I made sure to emphasize this at the time of listing my car. It surely deserves a premium.

On a lighter note, just the fact that my current car has a spare in the first place is enough to command a premium thread link.

Similar Threads:

1 (Lady driven cars..To buy or not to buy??)

Last but certainly not the least, a hilarious story by Guderian:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
The year was 1996 when I was desperately looking around to buy a second hand Maruti 800 to replace my aging/dying Premier Padmini and there pops up an ad in the TOI giving the details of a "M 800,Parsi driven (Dadar),contact..." etc. With trembling fingers believing that I had almost located the holy grail, I dialled the number and the conversation went as follows (verbatim - I swear !):
Ring...Ring...
Voice (male): Hello, Singh ispeaking.
Me (shattered):Errr...I am Guderian, you had placed an ad in the TOI today ?
Him: Yes - for a very good M800.
M: It was mentioned it was owned by a Parsi ?
H: No,no driven,yes,yes - it is driven by my uncle.
M: Mr Singh your uncle is a Parsi ?
H: Actually he is my neighbour and he is so close to me, I call him Uncle.
M: You stay in Dadar ?
H: No,no Sion-Koliwada...but my Uncle stays in Dadar.
M: Uncle ? Neighbour ?
H: Ju see Sion is just next to Dadar - very aas paas.
M: So the car belongs to the Parsi gentleman.
H: Nahinjee - actually he takes it to drive to Pune along with the driver.
M: So it doesn't belong to him.
H: Na Na.
M: It belongs to you ?
H: Haanji.
M: And you are...?
H: Oji, I have a car travel agency - lot of Parsi customers from Dadar.

At last the penny dropped and my heart sank !

That was the last time I ever shopped for a Parsi owned, naaah, driven automobile !
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 15:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On a lighter note, just the fact that my current car has a spare in the first place is enough to command a premium thread link.

Last but certainly not the least, a hilarious story by Guderian:
I did read that thread the day you posted it GTO and was actually surprised reading it. As a matter of fact, the immediate day after that, I saw an ad in the Times from BMW where "spare wheel" was one of the salient features/USP listed for the car. You surely can command a premium for it as and when you sell it.

The account from Guderian is hillarious
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 19:28   #18
BHPian

GTO you forgot to mention this other similar thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...d-friends.html (Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends)

and this current thread certainly is a part of that.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 13:59   #19
BHPian

I also see ads where it says "driven only in city", without realizing that that probably places more strain on the engine, suspension, brakes per km of running. So much so that I think it is perilous to advertise that a vehicle has been primarily highway driven as that'll probably be seen as a downside.
coolvenk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 14:27   #20
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Mistakenly perceived extra value is what I would associate when an unused stepney is mentioned to me.
While I too do not do a 5 tyre rotation and instead go for a 4 tyre rotation, the spare wheel I something that I don't use simply because that helps ensure that the 4 tyres in use are of equal wear and tear which is actually not possible if one does 5 tyre rotation, though that would be the means to get higher tyre life.

My method is to rotate tyres at each servicing, which would be at 10K kms and to replace the 4 (not 5) tyres at 30-40K kms. Also I tend to upgrade my tyres but not the stepney as that is an unnecessary cost and In case of a tyre puncher I would repair the affected tyre and place it back. (I do carry a tyre inflator pump in the car at all times.) generally beats the need to use the jack.

So the short of it all is that the unused stepney tyre is generally in poor condition except for a short standby use. It is especially an issue if the tyre is older than 5 years. Hence should have and has no extra value.

Last edited by ACM : 8th June 2016 at 14:55.
ACM is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 14:56   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

As I said, I see zero value if they mention an un-used stepney. That adds a sense of negativity too. A passionate owner will definitely ensure they rotate the tyres and that too all 5 tyres.

As mentioned in multiple posts, the tyres will be useless after 4 years and will start cracking. Even worse if 4 tyres run a good mileage and spare tyre doesn't; the professional tyre guys advise against mating tyres with massive tread wear / difference. They always say use at least 2 tyres with similar tread wear.

My 5 year old Michelin tyres had quite a few cracks on it due to low running (inspite of having 50% tread life remaining) and was advised to buy new ones. This is the case of tyres which were running every day, for 5-6 kms; now think of something which is not even used.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th June 2016 at 14:58.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 14:59   #22
BHPian

IMO a spare wheel can be a USP in case the manufacturer does not offer one as standard(common in luxury cars). For example, you have to shell out 29k for a spare wheel on a BMW 5 series. On the other hand, this could also be a downside as the spare could be lying around for a long time and would be rendered useless.You would have to shell out money again to get the spare replaced!
Apart from this, the spares in luxury cars eat up a lot of boot space(some do not have a dedicated place in the boot) and the run flat tyres mean that you could skimp having a spare on these cars altogether, as you can drive for about 60 km minimum depending on the load.
However, I think that the spare is a compulsion for those long journeys.
vishy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:55   #23
BHPian

Like everyone said, nowadays specially with cars that cost less than 10-12 lakhs, the stepny provided is 1 size down and has a higher profile and that too without alloy wheels. For eg: I drive Punto 90 HP and the normal tyre size is 195/55/R16, but the stepny provided is 195/60/R15. Also, its specially written that it should be used only in case of emergency and that one shouldnt cross 80 km/hr with them. So, clearly the manufacturers in the name of cost cutting disuade us to use them.

The only positive I see with a car that has an unused stepny is that, the owner has maintained the car very well in general by giving a lot of importance to the tyres (like maintianing the recommended air pressure , rotating them in fixed intervals, getting WA/WB done in periodic intervals), because of which he never had to use the stepny.
Waspune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:15   #24
BHPian

Manufacturers advertise irrelevant items such as "Body Coloured bumpers & Mirrors" as features, just to attract customers - so why not the used car market do similar gimmicks?

a) Doctor Driven - When we think about doctors, we usually get the picture of a calm gentleman in mid forties or fifties, probably owning his hospital and living pretty close by. So, you get the idea. Maximum 10 km per day, and he generously tips and spends to keep his car neat and clean.

b) Extra Accessories such as Music Systems, Speakers, Mobile Holders (!) - means the owner spent extra on top of what has been provided by the manufacturer. So, the resale value = resale value of the car as per the variant + resale value of extras

c) Unused Tyres / 50% (or 10%) left: Aiming to fetch the value of the tyre. After all you are running on something that the owner originally bought, so owe him something!

d) Serviced at company: Aiming to reassure that odometer has not been tampered with.

All the above are just to give a positive opinion about the car to the buyer. However, these cannot be trusted, particularly if sold by a dealer (whose main aim is to extract maximum out of the deal).
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 19:36   #25
BHPian

Hilarious example by GTO, and funny comments on USPs like Doctor/Lady driven from our fellow BHPians make me laugh out loud :-), I am sure such USPs are used by people who really dont understand the facts, and such things still work coz we still have people who buy such points.

I personally never did a 5 wheel rotation, and prefer to stick with 4 wheel rotation to have an even wear & tear. I dont think if a spare tyre kept unused for few years would add any value but at the same time it does not increase the life (age) of tyre by using it. It ultimately depends on what type of conditions the tyre is exposed to, like temperature, Air pressure, speed, road conditions, driving style etc. A properly stored tyre without letting it exposed to harsh conditions can definitely age slowly than the tyre in use with same date of manufacturing.

Ideally (as per many tyre manf co.s from US, EU & JPN) the age of tyre can be max of 10 years and are recommended an immediate change, but again its not a rule of thumb that the tyre can be used until 10th year. It again depends on conditions it got exposed to. So its always better to check tyres regularly that are aged above 5 years and can be used till they last. Some of the co.s like Michelin advise to check after 5 years, some say the age can be upto 6 years, so it all DEPENDS :-)
idpsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 19:44   #26
BHPian

This thread is spot on. I was browsing through olx for a used vehicle since the past 2 months and have noticed some very funny sales pitching by the seller like:

1. Army Man Car/ Doctor driven/ NRI car.

2. Going abroad need quick money grab it.

3. Heavy music system with amplifier and woofer.

4. Car having 3rd party insurance.

5. Big horn, HID light, new mats and leather seat covers ( for faux leather ones)

6. Chilled A/c ( many times written as child a/c)

7. car owner- mechanic
NST440 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 20:13   #27
BHPian

My 6-year-old Punto has an unused stepney. Well, it looks unused. I have had two flats to date -- the first time, the tyre dealer persuaded me to swap the original mediocre JK Tornados for four MRF ZLOs. (Definitely a good move.) But I retained (what had been till a few km ago) the JK stepney. The second time, I swapped in the stepney, fixed the flat, and swapped out again. I expect to change tyres again in a year or two, but, again, retain the stepney. So one day maybe I can advertise a 10- or 12-year old car (that too, a Fiat) with a new stepney, and expect some increased resale value?
rsidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 21:03   #28
BHPian

Nice sales pitch. How about unused rear seats!! I mostly drive solo and that should fetch me some extra money.
AKTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 04:15   #29
BHPian

What nonsense. I quite don't understand how an unused spare tyre is a USP for selling an used car. I think tyres should be discarded at about 50000 km or 7 years, whichever is earlier. (Unless emergencies arise)

What's next: Dealers selling you old cars with "unused engine" tags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Similarly, he might be skipping on simple maintenance like these.
Some people buy 4 alloys and never rotate tyres. Very common in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
While I too do not do a 5 tyre rotation and instead go for a 4 tyre rotation, the spare wheel I something that I don't use simply because that helps ensure that the 4 tyres in use are of equal wear and tear which is actually not possible if one does 5 tyre rotation, though that would be the means to get higher tyre life.

My method is to rotate tyres at each servicing, which would be at 10K kms and to replace the 4 (not 5)
Ideal to do 5 tyre rotation. You can easily extend life of your tyre set by 10k kms. Also, driving on an old spare is dangerous.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 9th June 2016 at 04:23.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 06:20   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Now I understand as to why the sales persons mention, that you don't need ABS & airbags, people buy that. Mechanic revs your engine with fresh engine oil [barely circulated] and no one objects.

Everyone doesn't understand a car and its nuances nor tries to, so these kind of sellers and buyers will always be there, along with these sales men/women.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote