Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th June 2016, 11:12   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: May 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I understand this is asking for too much and perhaps manufacturers wouldn't divulge this data but any idea how the ban on new registrations of 2l+ diesel cars is affecting sales?

Scorpio seems to maintain its position but the XUV and EcoSport (could be petrol/diesel/competition) have nosedived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
General Query - Are the sales numbers primary (Manufacturer to Dealer) in nature or secondary (dealer to consumer)?
They are factory dispatches to the dealer.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 8th June 2016 at 11:26.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 11:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any source of this information?
i20 - 8600 units :: Active - 1872 units.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...group/52638673

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That said, i20 Active is by far the most popular crossover hatchback going by the above numbers. Probably selling more than Etios Cross, Polo Cross and the other competitors - combined.
True.

But technically i20 hatch is 2nd to Baleno and Active crossover is 2nd to Scross

i20 - 8600 :: Baleno - 10004
Active - 1872 :: S Cross - 2101

This is how MSIL will look at it
Karthik Chandra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 11:17   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Volkswagen The Vento has dropped down to 3-figure numbers, and that should be a real worry. Don't throw out facelifted versions every 2 months, Volkswagen. Work on your cars and make them at par with competition.
One point to keep in mind is that VW has not restarted selling of the Vento Diesel Manuals which they stopped a couple of months back (Same with the Rapid). So the numbers we see for the Vento comprises the manual and automatic petrol and the Diesel DSG automatic.

Considering that the Diesel MT was probably the biggest selling variant, actually surprised that they are still managing ~1000 units.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 11:22   #34
BHPian

They still don't have a petrol version of the S-Cross. The market seems to be shifting towards petrol. You can expect another 1.5K or more monthly when the petrol hits the market.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Also i was told S-Cross is a failure, but it seems to be doing decent 2K number every month, doesnt sound like a DUD to me.
pradkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 11:23   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
Active - 1872 :: S Cross - 2101

This is how MSIL will look at it
When the SCross came out, many people did compare the SCross 1.3 diesel to the i20 Active diesel. And there were many opinions documented, including in our forums that the i20 Active offers a better deal considering the price.

So - it does look like a reason to smile for Maruti. A petrol option, and an automatic could boost their prospects a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
They still don't have a petrol version of the S-Cross. The market seems to be shifting towards petrol.
Somebody really needs to bring this to Maruti's attention. When other companies are struggling with the fall in demand of diesels, Maruti is on a roll selling diesel only crossovers like the SCross and the Vitara Brezza!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th June 2016 at 11:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 11:33   #36
BHPian

Smile Re: May 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post

Maruti Suzuki

I got so excited to see the dip in Alto's sales but it's back to around 20,000 units again thanks to the lame so called facelift the car has received.
Lame??? does it matter? The Alto finds 20K + homes every month because 1st time car buyers think of Maruti when it comes to buying car just like how cell phone was = Nokia. The 'Maruti' brand has such recall in the market

Quote:
The Baleno has secured the second spot in the game and is following the Elite closely, will it be able to beat it?
Nope, actually Baleno hatch overtook i20 hatch

Baleno - 10074 :: i20 - 8600 - Most members point out that MSIL sells 1 lac+ units because of the reach they have but no one comments on how Baleno sells 10K units with limited reach that Nexa has the limited reach. So its not only about the no. of dealerships, its the following that MSIL is successful

# a lot of work (smart + hard) smart - initiatives like SHVS, hard - things like setting up dealership infrastructure
# better understanding of the market
# better brand recall
# trust with customers
# over 30 years of experience in the market
# higher customer satisfaction levels compared to industry avg.
# better control over dealerships
# ensuring higher profit margins for dealerships

In fact MSIL has topped in all segments

Alto > Kwid + Eon + Nano + Redigo

Wagon R > Beat + Go + Indica/Vista + Tiago

Celerio > Beat + Go + Indica/Vista + Tiago

Swift > Grand i10

Baleno > Elite i20

Dezire > Excent + Amaze + Aspire + Zest

Vitara Brezza > TUV 300 + Ecosport

Ciaz > City + Verna

S Cross > i20 Active

Ertiga > Mobilio + Lodgy

Omni, Eeco and Gypsy do not have direct competitors. Ritz has been been given step-motherly treatment by MSIL themselves, hence it struggles at 2k units, still better than most other hatchbacks

MSIL has better understanding of the Indian market than the rest with Hyundai being the next best

Quote:
I am clearly not understanding how is MS able to sell so many Dzires? People wake up! We have much better options available in the market, start using your brains and opt for other vehicles instead of spending your money on this.
People see VFM and peaceful ownership experience and of course the attraction towards a sedan, hence so many Dzires despite its quirky looks.

Quote:
The Vitara Brezza has finally taken the first stop but then again I feel Hyundai Creta is the clear winner here due to the vast price difference both the vehicle has, the Brezza is ZDi+ is cheaper than Creta Top end by a whole 6 Lakhs.
The Brezza and Creta compete in different segments and are toppers in their respective segments

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 8th June 2016 at 11:59.
Karthik Chandra is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 11:45   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki

I got so excited to see the dip in Alto's sales but it's back to around 20,000 units again thanks to the lame so called facelift the car has received.
The segment that buys the Alto, buys it because it is a Maruti Suzuki Alto. Refresh/update/facelift nothwithstanding. I'm sure the Alto will do similar numbers if they keep the exact model for even 5 years (perhaps more).

Quote:
I am clearly not understanding how is MS able to sell so many Dzires? People wake up! We have much better options available in the market, start using your brains and opt for other vehicles instead of spending your money on this
Given the prominence and ease of doing the radio/app-based taxi business, the DZire is possibly the best way to go for many. Not the best product, but the best value proposition. And that's why people line up for it.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 11:51   #38
BHPian

Toyota managed 7259 units of the Innova. That's incredible.

Got to say that the Crysta is a strong performer. No surprises on the sales, except a few compact sedans gaining some volume. I'm just waiting to see what volumes the Fortuner(if it's launched) will rake up.

Will the ban on diesel cars >2000cc force Toyota to reconsider the Vios? It was put on the back burner considering the fat margins on the Innova and Fortuner and also Toyota's limited production capacity. Toyota doesn't seem to be bothered about volumes. They just want to make the highest profit per car in the country.

Honda is one manufacturer whose numbers will the interesting. The City, BR-V, Jazz and the facelifted Amaze have to sell in large numbers. Hopefully we'll see the Civic and the Accord in the next 12-18 months. with a 1.6 diesel, the Civic has some real potential to challenge the Corolla.

Hyundai really needs to bring in the new Verna quickly. The Creta is doing great. I think it makes sense for most buyers as it's a compact SUV, perfect for urban conditions while also having enough power for the highways.

The market leaders get stronger, the weaker ones are heading southward.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 13:03   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
In my opinion, Ciaz well deserved to grab number one position after all this hard work. Completely agree that Ciaz is not a street looker like the Honda City, nor it is the fastest of the lot, nor it has the brilliant petrol engine that the Honda City offers; but what it has sheer value for money proposition, a fuel efficient diesel engine with hybrid tech exempted from odd-even rule, strong marketing by Maruti, good offers by their dealers, way cheaper than a Honda City diesel makes it to the number one position.
Not to forget, the price cuts last month in Delhi NCR due to the (lame) SHVS. Ciaz diesel starts at 7.68 lakhs, while the City diesel does at 9.32. At the other end, the Ciaz ZDI+ sells for 9.49 lakhs while the City VX / VX (O) go for 12.11 and 12.42 lakhs (respectively). That's a huge difference. It's like free diesel for 5 years if you buy the Ciaz!

Honda successfully positioned the new City between the 3rd-gen City & discontinued Civic, but they didn't expect the Ciaz to be this competent.

The Ciaz is definitely troubling Honda. I've ridden in so many new Citys via Uber & Ola. Don't remember sitting in a Ciaz taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
General Query - Are the sales numbers primary (Manufacturer to Dealer) in nature or secondary (dealer to consumer)?
No offence, but we're very particular about post quality. Instead of submitting such a post, please read the thread first. From the opening post itself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Thanks!
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 13:18   #40
BHPian

Thanks for the numbers Aditya.

Renault-Nissan Alliance surely grabbing market share, but again with only Renault's numbers. They can leapfrog Tata, Honda, Toyota as an Alliance.
Sustainability though is a big question, they need to look into their portfolio.

Steady decline is Skoda Market share. Will bringing back Fabia and sub 4 meter sedan help them?

Tata Motors need to quickly expand their portfolio if they need to increase their market share. Tiago numbers and steady Zest numbers though low are still a huge positive and might help in departure from their "Cabby only" brand image.

Those numbers from Toyota Innova are just stellar.

Again, new products surely driving a huge chunk of sale numbers.

Mystifying thought: How is KUV100 selling more than Tiago? Is it because of Dealership footprint and more rural penetration?
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 13:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

The Omni still sells 6923 copies?!! No doubt some of them will be the cargo versions but still that's an amazing number for such an outdated and an unsafe vehicle. In fact it outsells even the Eeco, which though unsafe is one shade better than the Omni. I thought Maruti was selling only the cargo versions now and discontinued the passenger version.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 13:50   #42
BHPian

Yes, I don't like Maruti Suzuki but hate? That's a strong word folks and should be used extremely carefully.

Coming to the points mentioned by other respective members, the thing I want to talk about is consumer preferences and perspective. I agree with all the points mentioned but then there is one simple thing to understand, if we as consumers aren't willing to take risk then how can one expect manufacturers to do the same? A lot of us including me complaints about various bits about different manufacturers and at the end says the company doesn't take risks. For e.g Tata, after developing such good products (Bolt and Zest) it's failing miserably and it's not that the manufacturer doesn't promotes its vehicles. They may not campaign it as well as say Hyundai or MS but they do it.

Maruti Suzuki has started playing the game extremely safe, though S Cross was one huge risk and I appreciate MS's efforts for that and infact it's one of the few MS products which I liked followed by the Swift and Esteem. Initially, the manufacturer actually made some wonderful products with pretty great quality. My cousin's previous generation Dzire was a much better product than his current one! Instead of improving the quality, the manufacturer just added a little more bling to the cabin with better design and layout and the job is done! Why do consumers has to compromise in terms of quality?

My second point is the build quality, I have used a Swift ZXi 1.3 G Series extensively and what a phenomenal machine it was, superb fuel efficiency, well loaded, looked nice and brilliant to drive offered at the right price point with pretty good build quality. The current generation Swift and Dzire literally feels tin cans. The point is simple, if other manufacturers can provide similar products with a better build quality then why cannot the leading company do that.

Another point I would like to raise is rattling and squeaks, initially MS didn't had this issue. Now, all the Maruti Suzuki cars I have sat in recently has got this problem be it a car which has clocked 10,000 kms or be it one with more than 50,000 kms on the odo. It's not like I am paying extremely less for the car, the vehicles are indeed cheaper but not by a huge margin but does that really mean a compromise in all these aspects?

Now, many of you folks are defending Maruti Suzuki saying they are no nonsense products and are safe buys for peace of ownership. I have never declined the fact but then aren't you compromising in space and safety? Are ABS and Airbags enough to save you and your family from a mishap? Etios for God's sake has a better built quality and in terms of peace of ownership nothing beats that product! The only thing which killed the product was it's average interior design and layout. Now, one may counter saying its expensive than the Dzire but then it's a larger vehicle too. It's a full grown sedan and is longer than the 4k mm to qualify for the benefit. Now, see the build quality of Punto! Now, please do not comment on the company's after sales service etc. Here my point is simply the build quality. Accept it or not but I strongly feel Maruti Suzuki's build quality is one of the weakest in the market.

On top of that the silly statements by officials at MS "our cars are safe and meets all the safety standard.", "More safety features in cars will mean less road safety" like seriously? That's how you will defend your flaws? Instead of accepting it and taking necessary steps this is what you say? I am glad that both ABS and Airbags have become standard fitment in the recent products!

We auto enthusiasts are aware of the auto industry and knows about pros and cons of various aspects. Now, if a normal person comes across such statements how is it going to effect his perception. For e.g When my father purchased a Hyundai i10 1.2 Kappa way back in 2009, we opted for the Sportz variant. His perception has always been ABS and Airbags are useless features in urban conditions and aren't required. The car met with an accident and he understood it's importance, our Grand i10 now has been purchased in the Asta trim simply because of the ABS and Airbags.

Another thing why I am extremely disappointed with Maruti Suzuki is and same goes for Honda, same engines throughout the range. Please experiment a little! I know 1.3 Multijet is a brilliant engine, very fuel efficient, can clock lakhs of kilometers, less maintenance etc. I know the pros and cons of the same but then why always play it safe? Honda has too entered the same path, marketing the vehicles in terms of mileage and plonking in the same 1.5L i-dtec in every car.

This is where I appreciate Hyundai.
Grand i10 & Xcent gets 1.1L Diesel, i20 gets 1.4L CRDi and both Verna and Creta has an option of both 1.4 and 1.6. The Ciaz definitely needs the 1.6L Engine, why cannot Baleno be offered in multiple engine trims? The base trims in 75 and top ends in 90? When both Tata and Fiat does it why cannot MS?

I have made this statement earlier too that if it costs Rs.6,000 to equip the Alto 800 with an Airbag then why not increase the vehicle price by that amount and make it a standard fitment? I know the segment is extremely cost sensitive and that every manufacturer is in the market to do business but at the same time it's one their responsibilities among with the consumers to develop the market further. Infact, I would say every manufacturer playing in the low cost segment should do that.

Now, in terms of maintenance too MS cars aren't cheap, I have came across various owners paying quite a healthy sum of money on maintaining their cars. Yes it has an extremely strong network and localization but it's definitely not cheap.

I feel atleast Urban consumers should start experimenting and opt for different vehicles which will improve their experience too as well as boost the confidence of other manufacturers resulting in improved options for consumers. That will also help improve MS itself, as to gain back the same spot the company is going to further improve their products. Its a Win Win situation for both consumers and manufacturers because at the end of the day due to sticking to the same boring no nonsense vehicles will make the market further cost sensitive and soon all we will get are mileage oriented product, Honda is a clear example of that! They followed the MS path and see it's condition now.

I hope I have explained my points well! Peace Out!

Regarding the winners comment between Brezza and Creta, what I meant was Hyundai Creta is the winning product here because even with a price gap of more than 6 lakhs the car was selling as per Brezza which is indeed a big deal for any of the manufacturer. The same goes for the new Innova, with a price tag of 20 lakhs its outselling entire segments of MPVs, SUVs and Compacts SUVs.

Another point I just noticed, A lot of folks commented on my statement saying that I got excited to see the sales of Alto dip. Yes, I know the position of Alto and how it sells, but I got excited because finally it was becoming evident that consumers are indeed trying new products and have started experimenting. Instead of going for the Alto, they went in for a Renault Kwid which in my opinion was quite an interesting aspect.

Last edited by YashD : 8th June 2016 at 14:05. Reason: Paragraphs created
YashD is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 13:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I don't like Maruti Suzuki but hate? ........................egments of MPVs, SUVs and Compacts SUVs.
Yash, its off topic but please break your posts into paragraphs. It makes reading easier and enjoyable. I couldn't even complete the second line.
desiaztec is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 14:26   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Right now, Maruti (and Hyundai) is taking the lion's share of the market while others are left to scavenge what's left. Reminds me of Animal Planet's Serengeti documentaries.

I don't think Maruti domination is healthy for the overall market though. Even if other car makers don't gain marketshare at the expense of Maruti, they have to consistently make profits atleast - so that they have the will to introduce new exciting products.

Quote:
Yes, I don't like Maruti Suzuki but hate? That's a strong word folks and should be used extremely carefully.
I have a suggestion to make you feel better. Buy Maruti shares on the stock exchange for a significant amount.

If Maruti continues to dominate the Indian market over the next few years, you will make money on your stock investment. But if you are losing money on your stock investment, no problem - it means Maruti is losing marketshare to others.

Heads you win, Tails you win!
smartcat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2016, 14:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Awesome numbers there for Innova but this was given there were a lot of people waiting for an upgrade from Innova and turns out there is no better car than, well another Innova.

Mahindra must be worried given their assortment of TUV's and KUV's are loosing numbers but then again I am not at all surprised. I am willing to bet that KUV will sink down even further. Little engineering finesse and a lot of chutzpah. It cannot work forever, not even in the Indian market with our taste of cars. No offence.
extreme_torque is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread