Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th October 2016, 11:18   #46
Default Re: Honda starts testing new Accord in India

All very nice - proper hybrid, twin motor, 315 nm torque + all the cute little gizmos that gets us all drooling (despite the ~40L asking price for a soon to be last season's flavor!) to get our hands on it! But at the end of the day - FWD for something in this WB (~2.7m) and price range!?
As a commentator in a recent MotorBeam article (for the 2017 Passat launch) remarked ".....not many Indian customers care whether they get a FWD or RWD car in the 30-50/60L bracket." For dedicated gearheads (yours truly among them) that says it all!

Last edited by shashanka : 18th October 2016 at 11:20.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 12:12   #47

i was looking forward to the launch of the Accord Hybrid to replace my Honda City but at 40 lacs ex fac all those hopes are out of the window. suddenly the superb diesel at 39 and the camry hybrid at 38 look more attractive. Way to go Honda. Kill the brand and drive away your loyal customers. All the hoopla of it being a CBU doesnt fly with me, case in point volvo india who being CBU, prices their cars extremely competitively.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 14:16   #48

The new Accord would have been the ideal replacement for my Passat. But no way would I be crazy enough to pay 40+ for this! Going by the pictures, the car looks absolutely fantastic. I really wish Honda had assembled it locally and thus, been able to price it better.

Oh well, I guess we just have to wait for the next generation Accord to get something that is more reasonably priced.
fordfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 19:42   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

The two main reasons given by Yoichiro Ueno, President & CEO, Honda Cars India, on the possible high pricing of the Accord hybrid, are:

- similar subsidy benefits for both mild hybrid and fully hybrid vehicles under the FAME scheme.
- imported CBU models are not included in the FAME scheme.

The company, which is set to launch Accord hybrid in the country later this month, said the subsidies offered to hybrid vehicles currently under the FAME scheme in the current form are not sufficient.

"There are different levels of hybrid technologies some are mild systems while some full hybrid systems. I think it is necessary to differentiate, otherwise the cost difference is there."

When asked if the FAME scheme is adequate to push hybrid vehicles or the government needs to do more to promote hybrid vehicles in the country, Ueno said: "It's not enough to cover the cost difference of the hybrid vehicles." He added that initial government support is necessary for hybrid vehicles to succeed in a country.

"If I see other countries, hybrid technologies initially needed some government support. In most of the countries government initially supported with some reduced taxes or incentive to the customer," he said.

Government is also concerned about environmental issues and can give some support to hybrid vehicles and it will be very helpful to accelerate penetration of such vehicles in the country, he added.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote