Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th May 2011, 23:21   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Using Reverse Horn. Good or Bad?

As long as its not irritating and has a switch to turn it off when one does not need it I guess its not too much of a fuss. Never used it personally. none of our cars ever had that. But if one has to use it, let them not irritate others and let them have an option of using it when they need it the most.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 01:18   #107
BHPian

Considering the fact that majority of our populace is ignorant about driving etiquettes, reverse horns do come in use. I feel that the users should be more responsible about using them. Some pointers:-
1. Use only when required else switch off (in a congested area, not at 2.30am).
2. Lower the decibel level & use a tolerable beeping tune (no Hindi remixes please!).
kunalsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 10:15   #108
BHPian

Its extremely frustrating to be woken up by the sound of "My heart will go on", the Airtel Tune, nursery rhymes, & now even Munni & Sheila are joining in! These irritating tunes should be banned!! Reversing alarms are an absolute nuisance & do nothing to increase safety especially in residential areas. I'm yet to see someone install a toggle switch for the alarm, i doubt many would care.

Whenever i reverse out of my building, i switch on my hazard lights & honk if someone is obstructing the way. The same can be done when you're in an area teeming with people. In a city like bombay, the "I could not hear you" argument doesn't work well at all in case of an accident. That's why I use the hazard lights & dip generously. If the fellow says that he didn't see that, well, he had this eyes closed!
Musicmaker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 14:31   #109
BHPian

If there is one thing I hate as an "automotive accessory innovation" this would win the prize hands down. But I see this nuisance item being used by lesser and lesser number of drivers, thankfully.

Let's assume most of us drive the car in forwad gears for 99.5% of the time and if we can live with an "on-demand" horn while driving forward, why shouldn't it be the same when we have to back it up? Why should there be an "all time" horn?

Beats me!

BH.
BurningHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 20:34   #110
BHPian

Recently there is an initiative by some citizen forums in Pune to create awareness against use of reverse horns.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18101740.cms

As per the article, RTO has admitted that use of reverse horn is not permitted under the law.
mayuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 08:39   #111
BHPian

Reversing horns do not serve the intended purpose; rather, they irritate unsuspecting people all around. Only sick minded people continue to use these reversing horns in spite of them being banned by law. There is one imbecile in our housing complex who has a loud and very irritating reversing horn; and he sometimes creates unbearable cacophony in the dead of night.
gostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 15:53   #112
BHPian

I have it in my car and found it really irritating. So got a cut off switch added and now use it only when I find it absolutely necessary.
Car-Agey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 16:02   #113
BHPian

IMHO, these reverse alarms are an absolute nuisance and nothing else. I have never understood their real purpose. Claims range from silly to ridiculous:
> "Helps me by alerting the people near the car"
> "I can be sure that the reverse gear is engaged"
> "It came with the security system. Must be there for a reason - right?"
MaddyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 17:02   #114
BHPian

I feel there are a couple of simple things, if taken care, can significantly drop noise pollution:
(1) Loud horns
(2) Altered auto-rickshaw silencers (esp of 2-stroke autos in Bangalore)

The other annoyances are:
(1) Driving with high-beam in city roads
(2) Using reverse horn (even in quiet residential areas and apartment complexes)

Unfortunately, I have often notices that loud horns and high-beam usage isn't restricted only to taxis and lorries but also to vehicles driven by educated urbanites.

In short, reverse horns are a nuisance, as much as loud horns and high-beams.
narenteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 17:31   #115
Senior - BHPian

Reverse Horns are a nuisance generally and especially at hospitals and schools where, I feel, is to be banned.
Most irritating to me is the use of the remote lock alarm programmed to operate with the engagement of the reverse gear synchronized with the operation of the hazard warning mode. It is intolerable.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 18:23   #116
BHPian

Reverse horns are useful, but certainly need a cutoff switch so that you can activate them only when absolutely necessary.
In our cities where there is very little separation between pedestrian and automobile road space, at times this comes handy in warning pedestrians and some bikers on busy roads.

Let me add that I hate using this in residential areas, where it could irritate more than help, hence the need for a switch.
Binzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 20:26   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone find out which company first started this practice of connecting the anti theft alarm to the reverse gear? He should be made to answer for his crime.

How can we get the Sumreme Court to ban this?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 20:41   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
How can we get the Sumreme Court to ban this?
It's already banned by law as some past posts mention. It's more about enforcement than a verdict.
mayuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 20:51   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

A car is certified fit for the road in a certain state. Under very narrow interpretation of the law, ANY change in the car renders the certification invalid, and therefore use of the car illegal.

What I mean is a specific directive from the SC to the authorities asking them to enforce it.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 23:06   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Can someone find out which company first started this practice of connecting the anti theft alarm to the reverse gear? He should be made to answer for his crime.
The manufacturer of the aftermarket make of anti theft alarm generally sold through Hyundai and TATA dealerships, is the main villain.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote