Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th July 2016, 13:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Renault India drops prices of the Lodgy MPV by Rs. 1 lakh

Starting price of the Renault Lodgy has been dropped by around Rs. 1 lakh. The price drop has been executed only in the 85 PS line-up of the MPV, while the 110 PS variants still retail at the older price.

The Lodgy was launched in India in April 2015. In May 2016, Renault India sold 730 units of Lodgy, after experiencing an 86.7% growth as compared to April 2016, when just 391 units of the Lodgy were sold. Now, Renault India has decided to spur things a bit and is thus trying to boost sales of the MPV by giving a significant price drop to the 85 PS line-up.

Renault offers the Lodgy 85 PS in four variants: STD, RxE (both 7-seater and 8-seater), RxL, and RxZ. Prices of the Lodgy STD variant have been reduced by 96 thousand rupees, while that of the RxE have been cut by around 80 thousand. The RxL trim is now 55 thousand cheaper, while the lowest price cut of 34 thousand has been given to the top-end RxZ variant.

The Lodgy is powered by a 1.5-litre K9K diesel engine, which is offered in two states of tune: 84 BHP and 108 BHP. There is no petrol engine on offer with the MPV.

New prices of the Renault Lodgy 85 PS variants (ex-showroom Delhi) are as follows:
• Lodgy STD - Rs. 7,58,831
• Lodgy RxE - Rs. 8,56,831
• Lodgy RxL - Rs. 9,43,831
• Lodgy RxZ - Rs. 10,99,000

Source: MyCarHelpline

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 11759
Size:  45.0 KB

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 4th July 2016 at 13:20.
dZired is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 13:38   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Renault India drops prices of the Lodgy MPV by Rs. 1 lakh

I would be very cautious in interpreting the sales figures of Lodgy by seeing just the last two month's figures. The official numbers have been:

Dec:741
Jan:423
Feb:527
March:573
April:391
May:730

There is a constant fluctuation in these numbers and in December 2015 too it had managed to cross that 700 mark.

This price drop can also prove harmful in two ways:
1. The handful of customers who have bought Lodgy will be surely infuriated unless Renault compensates them somewhat like how Maruti did with S-cross customers.

2. This price drop will effectively kill the 110 PS version as that will appear too expensive now and also the uncertainty if that would too get a price correction in the near future.
drmohitg is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 13:38   #3
BHPian

The signs of the apparent refresh is propping up. Still doesnt make any sense why they arent dropping the prices of 110PS, as overall sales are still dull. They should quickly work their way to a facelift, better interior, address minor issues like moving middle seats and introduce the autobox. They got a good pricing gap with the Crysta way up there and no sign of Hexa, which they can plug in.
daywiz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 13:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Lodgy has been a slow seller for Renault.

One of the reasons to see a massive price cut in the 85 PS is to attract the fleet owners.Additionally, the biggest price cut is in the bare bones Std variant. This is the maximum selling variant among the fleet owners.

With the MPV failing to gain traction and a probable facelift in the vicinity, the current owners may feel short changed.
However, in the longer run, I am of the opinion that the Lodgy will be discontinued the same way like the flop Evalia(from Nissan).
arnabchak is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 13:56   #5
AYP
BHPian

Only a few cabbies will care about this price drop. The BR-V was the final nail in the coffin for the Lodgy, especially when it comes to the private buyer.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 14:10   #6
BHPian

This move might be to capture the taxi market vacuum left by the departure of the Innova. The Lodgy is in a prime position to slot in.

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2016 at 10:27. Reason: Typos
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 4th July 2016, 14:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Renault want to cash in on the space vacated by Innova in the taxi market with those base variants. The biggest price cuts are also for those variants.

The variant 'STD' is to look good in the advertisements. Will be interesting to know the availability of this one.
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 15:11   #8
BANNED

Its a done and dusted product. Never really got picked up by the masses. Even the fleet owners mostly gave it a miss. The price cut will not really change its fortune IMO.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 19:54   #9
BHPian

When i bought the Lodgy back in December 2015 I was given 1 lakh plus discounts from the on-road price. Renault now have just officially reduced the price. All this while they were reducing the price saying discounts and so on. The lodgy being a slow moving product needed a price cut. This will enhance the sales figures of the car and take it through till the AMT face lifted variant is launched. It is now such a VFM car.
just_in is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2016, 20:13   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It's a fantastic proposition for fleet owners with the new Innova becoming very expensive. But even with fleet owners they face an issue, customers don't ask for a 7 seater, they ask for an Innova! Such is the brand recall and the fact that cabbies think they get better returns in the long run anyway will make it tougher for the Lodgy to make a dent amongst the fleet operators.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 10:34   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This move has 'TAXI' written all over it. Main reason why it's only on the 85 PS variant.

I really like the Lodgy for its ride quality, engine range and all-rounded nature. Only thing that it needs is a sliding middle row - can't understand why Renault is dragging its feet on offering that feature.

The MPV is even more value for money now. However, things still won't be easy as flops rarely ever recover in the market, even after a price cut. What the Lodgy has going for it is the expensive price tag of the new Innova. That could just be a sales catalyst.

Will be interesting to watch its sales figures in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
There is a constant fluctuation in these numbers
The fluctuation is typical of most market duds.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 14:08   #12
BHPian

They (Renault and Chevy) are all trying to get into the taxi market with Innova priced beyond most of these operators. I for one have started seeing a number of Lodgys in yellow plates. Like its front styling but its rear looks like a cargo van and not a people mover IMHO.
SPARKled is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 14:38   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a theory that commercial cab owners are drawn towards high-riding body-on-frame MPVs with heavy doors and rugged looks. I think fleet owners feel that such vehicles will last for a long time. Just look at the list of successful commercial people carriers -

Force Trax
Tata Sumo
Toyota Qualis
Toyota Innova
Chevrolet Tavera
Mahindra Xylo

Now let's look at the models that have tried and failed in the commercial taxi segment - common denominator is that all of them are low-riding monocoque people carriers with light build. Fleet owners probably think that these vehicles will fall apart after a few years.

Chevrolet Enjoy
Nissan Evalia
Renault Lodgy
Honda Mobilio (Yes, I have taken the liberty of adding it here although Honda just allowed Commercial vehicle sales)

I have not seen Maruti Ertiga with a commercial plate either (probably because Maruti doesn't allow commercial sales?)
smartcat is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 17:41   #14
BHPian

I've been seeing a lot more Lodgies on the streets of Bombay recently - definitely more than 3-4 months ago. I recently sat in one; it is no great shakes. To compare it to the older Innova let alone the Crysta is borderline sacrilege. The seats at the back offer about as much legroom as the Dzire. Even the fit and finish seems to be rather spartan. It seems the engineers were more keen to tick all the boxes of "offerings" rather than concentrate on the quality of these offerings. The ride is comfortable though. The car which I think has a genuine shot at occupying the space vacated by the outgoing Innova by offering similar comfort at a lower price point is Tata Aria. But it seems to have been abandoned by the parent company. It is possible that the Lodgy might get a spurt in numbers but I don't think it is sustainable.
invidious is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 17:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have a theory that commercial cab owners are drawn towards high-riding body-on-frame MPVs with heavy doors and rugged looks. I think fleet owners feel that such vehicles will last for a long time. Just look at the list of successful commercial people carriers -

Force Trax
Tata Sumo
Toyota Qualis
Toyota Innova
Chevrolet Tavera
Mahindra Xylo

Now let's look at the models that have tried and failed in the commercial taxi segment - common denominator is that all of them are low-riding monocoque people carriers with light build. Fleet owners probably think that these vehicles will fall apart after a few years.

Chevrolet Enjoy
Nissan Evalia
Renault Lodgy
Honda Mobilio (Yes, I have taken the liberty of adding it here although Honda just allowed Commercial vehicle sales)

I have not seen Maruti Ertiga with a commercial plate either (probably because Maruti doesn't allow commercial sales?)
I have seen quite a few Ertigas on yellow plate with a big fleet operator in my home town.

OT: I had read that only Dzire tour was to be used as taxi while the Dzire was to be for private use only. But we have Dzire only on yellow plates.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote