Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd March 2017, 23:01   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
My colleague is in the market for an economical hatch, and has almost finalized the Celerio AT (due to the daily Hinjewadi (Hinjewadi Traffic Issues) run). What is the estimated wait time for the XZA in Pune ? Celerio ZXi AMT (O) is about 8k cheaper than the Tiago XZA (~6.3L vs 6.38L OTR Pune), and thats before any discounts on the Maruti. Does it make sense for him to hold out for the Tiago for a few months if the Celerio is readily available ? This will be his first car, never driven in India.
This is one thing I hate about being a Bangalorean. The Celerio top end is 6.42L and comes with a 20 K discount. Compared to Pune that seems like a 12K difference. At the same time why would the Tiago XZA be priced at 6.70L in BLR? which seems almost 32K price difference as compared to Pune : :
vsrivatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 08:03   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... This will be his first car, never driven in India.
First & foremost is what he likes. In case he finds a tie between two, should the other points matter. Tiago's quality is better than Celerio, equipment levels should be better too. Have taken a short spin in a Celerio AMT and didn't find anything to complain (purely from the AMT perspective) though I couldn't test the highway capability.

Having said this, I'd not be comfortable to bite on a first batch from TATA yet (along with some other brands). My suggestion is to wait a bit if he wants the Tiago AMT. On the other hand, being the first car, Maruti makes tremendous sense from a reliability / ease of owning / peace of mind POV.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 09:07   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Having said this, I'd not be comfortable to bite on a first batch from TATA yet (along with some other brands).
I would tend to disagree here. There are over 5k Tiagos on the road and AMT on a manual GB is something Tata has done in the Zest and Nano so that alone does not qualify for being a totally new product in the market. The Magneti Marelli unit which both Tata and Maruti uses are probably the same with the only difference being the vehicle specific calibration and i do not see a reason for concern there.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 13:38   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Having said this, I'd not be comfortable to bite on a first batch from TATA yet (along with some other brands). My suggestion is to wait a bit if he wants the Tiago AMT. On the other hand, being the first car, Maruti makes tremendous sense from a reliability / ease of owning / peace of mind POV.
Agree with your comments. I would be very careful before putting any of my money into the "T" Brand. I am waiting for the Test Drive and the Youtube Reviews to show up.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 11:34   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
There are over 5k Tiagos on the road and AMT on a manual GB is something Tata has done in the Zest and Nano so that alone does not qualify for being a totally new product in the market. The Magneti Marelli unit which both Tata and Maruti uses are probably the same with the only difference being the vehicle specific calibration and i do not see a reason for concern there.
Agree with you fully. Just a correction - I think you meant 50K Tiagos on road, not 5K. Am I right?
AkMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 13:55   #96
BHPian

Did anyone on the Forum do a Test Drive ?

Concorde Motors Bangalore confirmed that the Test Drive vehicle has arrived but also said there was lot of queue and he recommended I need to wait a week before I could get a Test Drive at home//

Meanwhile, I don't see any test drive reviews on YouTube. Tata should have done a media event with Test Drives. I guess now they will now get busy with the Tigor launch rumored for this week.
vsrivatsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 17:07   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
As far as Celerio vs Tiago goes, I feel Tiago has the upper hand over Celerio. The build quality, paint, design of Tiago is way ahead of Celerio...
Quote:
First & foremost is what he likes. In case he finds a tie between two, should the other points matter. Tiago's quality is better than Celerio, equipment levels should be better too. Have taken a short spin in a Celerio AMT and didn't find anything to complain (purely from the AMT perspective) though I couldn't test the highway capability.
Thanks guys , he is holding out only on my insistence to check out the Tiago AMT first. Else he would have already brought the Celerio home by now. It seems TD vehicles arent available anywhere, and neither are reviews. Awaiting them before any decision is made!
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 17:40   #98
BHPian

Quote:
It seems TD vehicles arent available anywhere, and neither are reviews. Awaiting them before any decision is made!
Test drive Vehicles aren't available any where, so I called up Tata Motors Customer Care & asked them the reason why TD cars aren't available even at Company Owned Outlets (Concorde Motors) at Mumbai & Bangalore. He gave me stupid answer, sir the demand is higher then expected & hence the TD vehicles aren't available. I was .

If no improvement happens, Tata will definitely loose customer's within short time for all the efforts they have shown in new products.
CarguyNish is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 18:16   #99
BHPian

I have booked a Test Drive for tomorrow evening - will post my thoughts once the TD Happens. He asked me to confirm once more tomorrow morning though - this is Concorde Motors Bangalore.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 19:39   #100
BHPian

I did a test drive of Tiago AMT today. For me, the AMT gearbox was a complete let down. There was a lag when you start off in 1st gear and a big lag between 1st and 2nd. Driving it in Sports mode makes it better but only incrementally.
The Manual mode is quite fine though.
The lag, though only for a short instant, is an annoyance especially when you want a bit of power - something I am used to with my i10 Auto.

I am canceling my booking - I will probably book a Micra.
Rammee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 19:51   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Did anyone on the Forum do a Test Drive ?

Concorde Motors Bangalore confirmed that the Test Drive vehicle has arrived but also said there was lot of queue and he recommended I need to wait a week before I could get a Test Drive at home//

Meanwhile, I don't see any test drive reviews on YouTube. Tata should have done a media event with Test Drives. I guess now they will now get busy with the Tigor launch rumored for this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I have booked a Test Drive for tomorrow evening - will post my thoughts once the TD Happens. He asked me to confirm once more tomorrow morning though - this is Concorde Motors Bangalore.
Something similar here in NCR as well. I had called up the dealer (AutoVikas) to inquire about the availability of a AMT test drive vehicle. They were helpless as there was no test drive vehicle available. This was around 2-3 days after launch.

Decided to ask this from TML's twitter handle and promptly got a call this evening. I have asked to book the appointment for Saturday morning. Let's see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Test drive Vehicles aren't available any where, so I called up Tata Motors Customer Care & asked them the reason why TD cars aren't available even at Company Owned Outlets (Concorde Motors) at Mumbai & Bangalore. He gave me stupid answer, sir the demand is higher then expected & hence the TD vehicles aren't available. I was .

If no improvement happens, Tata will definitely loose customer's within short time for all the efforts they have shown in new products.
I think the guy was being brutally honest. Stupid as it may seem, it just might be the truth. Maybe TML didn't forcast this strong a demand for the Tiago and are now thus struggling with producing enough cars. Due to which the test drive cars might still be on the way.But yes, there should have been better co-ordination. What's the point of launching a car, if you can't offer even a basic TD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammee View Post
I did a test drive of Tiago AMT today. For me, the AMT gearbox was a complete let down. There was a lag when you start off in 1st gear and a big lag between 1st and 2nd. Driving it in Sports mode makes it better but only incrementally.
The Manual mode is quite fine though.
The lag, though only for a short instant, is an annoyance especially when you want a bit of power - something I am used to with my i10 Auto.

I am canceling my booking - I will probably book a Micra.
Is there a creep mode? When you say lag, is it between the engaging of gears or is it the pickup or acceleration? Does it tend to hold on to 1st for a longer time than expected?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 20:29   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Is there a creep mode? When you say lag, is it between the engaging of gears or is it the pickup or acceleration? Does it tend to hold on to 1st for a longer time than expected?
There is a creep mode. I feel the lag is due to the time it takes to engage in 1st or 2nd gear. You can feel that most when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. There is a visible pause, then a jerk and lurches forward.
Rammee is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 21:28   #103

I decided to test drive Tiago AMT today at around 1 PM,called concorde motors and by 3 PM he was at my door step.Very impressive.
What a well built car!Though there was a bit of lag as mentioned in this post,I thoroughly enjoyed the drive,specially when Sports mode is engaged the take off is exhilarating!
I test drove AMTs Kwid,Alto K10 and Celerio but for me this one stood out well ahead. The SA told me he will deliver the vehicle in 2-3 weeks time.I am yet to finalize.
amit_mind is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 22:35   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
He gave me stupid answer, sir the demand is higher then expected & hence the TD vehicles aren't available. I was .
Most manufacturing units are catered to by part suppliers and the highest output is equivalent to the lowest supply of a particular component. It's easier for a company like Tata to ramp up production but not so likely for a company supplying parts.

Tata themselves underestimated the demand which was good in a way, after having burnt their fingers with the Zest and Bolt. Things will stabilize as they go further. It's a good thing as they also need to pull up their A.S.S equally to industry standards or try redefining that too.

I'm willing to place my bet on them yet again.
discoverwild is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 17:57   #105
BHPian

The Test Drive did happen today. The Sales Guy from Concorde Motors promptly got the car home in the evening and I completed the Test Drive just sometime back.

First here are some pictures of the Car and the AMT:

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-pic04.jpg

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-pic05.jpg

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-pic03.jpg

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-pic02.jpg

Tata Tiago AMT launched at Rs. 5.39 lakh-pic01.jpg

As called out by others in the prior post, the gear shift from the first gear to the second gear in the CITY Mode has a "Pause". I did not hear any odd noises but there is a pause.

The shift from Auto to Manual works smooth

There is a decent creep mode as well. I tried driving the vehicle on an incline. Came to a complete standstill and then tried the Creep mode, that alone did not help, so hit the accelerator and the car got ahead without having to dabble with the Manual Mode.

In the SPORT mode, which is offered by means of a button next to the AMT Control box, the Pause between the gears is greatly reduced.

I would rate the AMT experience as better than Kwid for sure but I felt the pause or the lag between the gears is lesser in the Celerio. Purely on the merit of the AMT, I still think the Celerio would win.

The Sales rep called out that there is a 4 week waiting period and handed out the pricing sheet. The OTR in Bangalore after removing the optional items is around 6.71 Lakhs. If one adds items like Extended Warranty etc. then it lands at 6.85 L.

Have I decided to buy? - The answer is difficult. If the Tiago AMT was priced at 6.5 - I would have gone ahead ASAP. Now this is sandwiched between the Celerio top End AMT which is available in Bangalore at a discounted price of 6.30 L and the Ignis AMT Delta variant at 6.99 L. I am yet to test drive the Ignis though but if I am going to shell out 6.7 for the T brand then I better do that as well before I finalize.

I guess I will do some more thinking and test driving before I decide on any of these 3 that I called out. As for now Tiago is still in the race very much but Tata has not made the decision easy after the price hikes
vsrivatsa is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote