Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th July 2016, 09:42   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Diesel car sales cut by half! Now only 26% market-share

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
There are multiple reasons to move back to petrol for Delhi/NCR folks atleast:

7. Ease of use/driving, for manual car owners bumper to bumper traffic is literally a pain in the knee, especially diesel cars.
I beg to differ, between petrol and diesel manual cars its the petrol that requires more effort in bumper to bumper traffic ! The good amount of torque available with diesel mills is sufficient to keep the car moving without throttle input (diesel does not have a throttle BTW); it is petrol engine which requires a throttle input, clutch slip and brake; practically ABC pedals together while maneuvering car in heavy traffic.

One can even keep diesel cars in 2nd gear and manage everything like an automatic. Not possible with petrol motors.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 09:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

With significant higher prices of new diesel cars (wrt their petrol-run counterparts) and ever narrowing price gap of both fuels, this was bound to happen. Good to see people moving away from diesel and stop being obsessive about it!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 10:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
You also need to take the resale value in your calculation. A diesel would definitely be sold around 80-90k above the petrol version.
I am telling this 80-90k figure by comparing same version ,same manufacturing months but different fuel ,swifts on a reputed website like carwale.com
As I said, it was just a indicative calculation.
Now, if you consider the EMI as well, for my friend, there was a difference of around 3K per month for a 4 year loan. So, that comes to around 1,44,000 more.

So still petrol makes more sense for him.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 10:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
As I said, it was just a indicative calculation.
Now, if you consider the EMI as well, for my friend, there was a difference of around 3K per month for a 4 year loan. So, that comes to around 1,44,000 more.

So still petrol makes more sense for him.
This difference of EMI is covered in the price difference of the car. Your friend is paying this 3k extra in EMI to cover the premium of the diesel variant.
Rest as you said that most of his travel would be on a highway so going for Petrol is not that bad decision too.
CA Dhruv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 11:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Just did a little math. The current option price (difference between same Petrol/Diesel variant) which a customer pays for Swift / Grand i10 level model is about 90~100k......
You are forgetting the resale value of the cars. Most of owners do not keep their cars over 3-5 years. In such cases, the increased resale value will definitely negate the initial difference you paid on diesel.
seby_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 11:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Even this is too high. If price equalization is done this may drop to something like 15%. Only high mileage motorists will opt for Diesel. This joke of I do 20,000 a year and have a Diesel must be done away with. It is the lopsided pricing which messed up the game. Once prices approach parity then the owners will have to balance the added outlay, and (many may argue with this) maintenance against the 20% or so better FE.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 12:12   #22
BHPian

You pay more upfront + Pay more EMI + Pay more in maintainence

You get more mileage + slightly less diesel price + more resale value

now slightly less diesel price & more resale value are dynamic factors, lesser the petrol-diesel price differential, lesser will be the difference in resale value in future, isn't it?

fun to drive/ease of driving/low-end torque/top-end grunt are subjective.
Nav-i-gator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 12:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
This difference of EMI is covered in the price difference of the car. Your friend is paying this 3k extra in EMI to cover the premium of the diesel variant.
Rest as you said that most of his travel would be on a highway so going for Petrol is not that bad decision too.
Yes. You are correct.
I verified with him again regarding the EMI and the difference. Basically the excess interest for the difference amount of 1.4L is coming to 30K for a 4 year duration.
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 13:55   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
My relatives in Delhi wanted to buy a small hatch, and their monthly running warrants a diesel. They can afford one, but they are not considering diesel because of the uncertainty around what the government will ban next.
Can you elucidate why CNG is not on the list, despite being way cheaper than even diesel?
fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 14:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
Can you elucidate why CNG is not on the list, despite being way cheaper than even diesel?

Never said they weren't, just that they aren't considering a diesel.

But there are various reasons why I wouldn't consider CNG unless I could afford two separate cars, one for the city commute and one for other purposes.

Primary being the lack of CNG pumps outside the NCR, as far as I remember.

Then the loss of boot space, limited CNG pumps within the NCR leading to perpetually long queues, and loss of power in a usually already not very powerful car are some others. Not sure my relatives think the same, just my opinion.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 15:37   #26
BHPian

This has more to do with the ncr ban and nothing else, the prices are still high for petrol and given a choice most people would choose diesel unless their running is below 1000 km a month. If your running is already around 1k, then avoid petrol . Buying the petrol is the right choice as long as the car is a success and the petrol is competent, otherwise a dud's resale value will hit the owner really hard.

This debate is endless, but the fact is that those with a tendency to take their cars wherever and whenever possible should avoid petrol. I hate travelling by bus or train and with 96k in over 5 years with a lifetime average efficiency of 16kmpl, I know I made the right choice with diesel. Buy a petrol if you go everywhere by bus, train or air and don't live too far from family.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 17:04   #27

While calculating running cost Diesel vs Petrol -- two more things can also be considered.

1. In case buy through own money -- put the price difference amount in bank to earn interest. Then calculate years to break even.

2. If bought through loan -- calculate how much interest you paid on price difference amount till you break even.

Bottom line -- Money is confusing. Better not to think too much. There is no perfect decision. Just -- Live to drive.
bhatta151 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 17:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
This has more to do with the ncr ban and nothing else, the prices are still high for petrol and given a choice most people would choose diesel unless their running is below 1000 km a month.
5 years back when the market was shifting towards diesel cars, the price difference between diesel and petrol was around 25 rupees. And the difference between a petrol and diesel car of the same model was well less than a lakh. So, it was a easy decision towards a diesel car.

But now the petrol/diesel price difference is around 10 rupees only. And price difference between a petrol/diesel car of same model has gone up. Ex: Difference between a top end Baleno Diesel/Petrol is 1.4L. So, the situation is not the same anymore. People will have to do little bit of math before taking a decision.

Last edited by arun_josie : 7th July 2016 at 17:34.
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 17:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
This has more to do with the ncr ban and nothing else, the prices are still high for petrol and given a choice most people would choose diesel unless their running is below 1000 km a month. If your running is already around 1k, then avoid petrol . Buying the petrol is the right choice as long as the car is a success and the petrol is competent, otherwise a dud's resale value will hit the owner really hard.

This debate is endless, but the fact is that those with a tendency to take their cars wherever and whenever possible should avoid petrol. I hate travelling by bus or train and with 96k in over 5 years with a lifetime average efficiency of 16kmpl, I know I made the right choice with diesel. Buy a petrol if you go everywhere by bus, train or air and don't live too far from family.
Absolutely correct, couldn't agree more . I had a Petrol Accent which in the past one year was taken out only when the boot was needed as it gulped fuel like anything. Else Alto was used.
Got a "Hybrid Ciaz" last month has clocked 3200km in a month and the amount spent on fuel is like less than half of what would have been spent on Accent.
Before ciaz, I used to park my car at the nearest metro and commute by metro. But now I have said bye to metro.
CA Dhruv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016, 18:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
This has more to do with the ncr ban and nothing else...Buying the petrol is the right choice as long as the car is a success and the petrol is competent, otherwise a dud's resale value will hit the owner really hard.
Not just NCR. It also propagated itself to KL, which probably has got quite a few new car buyers worried. The fear of what might happen after I bought the car and diesel car ban comes into place in their state. The resale also might be affected due to this sentiment.

Again all this is just pure perception of a potential car buyer (post NCR/KL diesel ban) than what actually happens. So what happened until a year back may not work exactly by extrapolation.

I do agree on the past scenario. In 2010 when me and few other colleagues bought cars, I was the only buying a petrol car(was a newbie then) the other 2 bought diesel with reasoning of reduced running costs. At the end of 2 years, I had run 27K and they had clocked around 12K and 15K respectively. That's how diesel oriented the market was
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote