Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th March 2017, 19:09   #106
PGA
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra's sub-4 meter Bolero. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 6.59 lakh!

Just picked up Bolero Power Plus SLE for my trips to the farm. Cost me Rs 7.15 lakh on road. Few thoughts after having driven it for 500 kms in heavy city traffic and highway over last one week.
Engine - Noiseless (pl keep reference of old bolero in mind)
Pickup- Superb, effortless takeoff in second gear from near stop situations.
Mileage- Above 16 kmpl
Power - Not tested above 100 kmph as yet so cannot comment.
Vibrations- Vastly reduced, again reference old Bolero

Safety, Interiors and Comfort: Nothing more to add than what is already known.

Brakes : Serious problem with brake pedal located so much higher than accelerator pedal. I think it is a big road safety hazard in today's fast moving highway traffic or bumper sticking city traffic. Your braking reaction is likely to increase considerably in the event of emergency situation as you need to move your foot back considerably from accelerator and then move to apply brake. Small left movement of foot lands it below the brake pedal further compounding the problem. Already moved the case with Mahindra's about it lets see how do they resolve.

Suspension : Good longitudinal control, perfect for pot holes. Lateral control less said the better, enough roll to make oldies sea sick. But no complaints, it is meant to be that way.

Steering: Already discussed in earlier threads, no further inputs.

Niggle: Engine immoboliser doesn't seem to work, servicing staff little clueless on the issue. WIP as of now (Mahindra cannot live without them, , but again no complaints, my experience is that they make serious effort to resolve it.)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra's sub-4 meter Bolero. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 6.59 lakh!-20170301_175541.jpg  

Mahindra's sub-4 meter Bolero. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 6.59 lakh!-20170301_175519.jpg  

PGA is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 14:05   #107
BHPian

Mahindra, when you relocated the rear door handle, you had the perfect opportunity to relocate the number plate from the most stupid place (below the bumper) to where the door handle was. But you didn't. Why Mahindra??? WHY?
Name:  Untitled1.jpg
Views: 3410
Size:  40.7 KB
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 12:31   #108
BHPian

In the latest issue of OVERDRIVE, they have done an AC test. Among SUV's Bolero AC is a top performer. It was ranked 3rd among SUV's almost same as the 2nd place Volvo XC90. It bettered its bigger brother Scorpio by a big margin. Even defeated the likes of Innova crysta Tata Hexa and the mighty fortuner. No wonder it sells so much.
JediKnight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 13:52   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Just picked up Bolero Power Plus SLE for my trips to the farm.
Hi PGA, how is it going with the Bolero Power Plus. I am in half a mind in picking up one for my home/office commute. How has been the reliability? Looking at the niggles on the TUV thread makes me doubt how bug free the baby mhawk power train is.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 21:30   #110
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Hi PGA, how is it going with the Bolero Power Plus. I am in half a mind in picking up one for my home/office commute. How has been the reliability? Looking at the niggles on the TUV thread makes me doubt how bug free the baby mhawk power train is.
Hi JediKnight, I am quite happy with the performance, no issues with the engine at all, let me summarize as I see after operating it for six months now.
Engine: No issues till about 100kmph, (2700rpm) very linear acceleration and no issues with vibrations. Beyond 3000 rpm it just runs out of all the steam and doesn't want to be in that region at all. However it did give me one scare when it was only about 1000 kms old, it did knock for about 30 seconds for no reason after starting up but became ok after that, I attributed it to some valve sticking and breaking in of a new motor, but nothing since then. Another thing it doesn't like is rough handling for first 2 kms of the ride in the morning, normally other engines tend to get into the groove earlier than that.
Mileage: My drive is 90% on highway and low traffic farm roads and 10% city, above 17 kmpl. Avg speed 90+- 5 km on highway but no hard pushing or pulling
Transmission: What one expects from a jeep, but neat and ratios help easy glides in 2 and 3 gears in city traffic
Suspension: Same what one expects from a jeep, but with the dominating driving position and decent longitudinal stability it goes galloping over potholes but do not roll it, very uncomfortable with that.
Brakes: Could have been better, much better.
Comfort, fit finish and trim: Have low expectations
AC : No complaints, very good
Loading: I regularly load it upto 650 Kgs with farm produce or bags of urea it doesn't complain on kutcha road or the highway.

Hope above mentioned helps, anything else you wish to know, do let me know.

Lastly, what I have written on top is what my head has been telling me and now I will tell you what my heart says, I just love to ride this gallant charger, and when it is on the road, our Indian road, nobody dares come close, iron bumper, side steps and a poky nose scares even most hard boiled auto rickshaw chaps.

Rgds
PGA is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017, 21:10   #111
BHPian

PGA thanks for the update. Wish you many kilometers of blissful ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Brakes : Serious problem with brake pedal located so much higher than accelerator pedal. I think it is a big road safety hazard in today's fast moving highway traffic or bumper sticking city traffic. Your braking reaction is likely to increase considerably in the event of emergency situation as you need to move your foot back considerably from accelerator and then move to apply brake. Small left movement of foot lands it below the brake pedal further compounding the problem. Already moved the case with Mahindra's about it lets see how do they resolve.
Did this get fixed?
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote