Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th January 2017, 07:14   #196
BHPian

Default Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

I see WILLYS JEEPs, Ambassadors, Gypsys' etc. (all diesels) of enthusiasts [some of them actually very well maintained]. Certainly many of these are well over 10 years but in very good condition.

In addition, in the cab segment there are Toyota Qualis, Chevrolet Tavera and for that matter even Innovas - all more than 10 years, still seen been driven around.

What happens to these diesel vehicles? Are they driving around without renewed registration?
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 19:35   #197
BHPian

Default Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Centre moves Supreme Court for lifting ban on 10-year old diesel vehicles

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst

Lets hope something sensible comes out of this case.

Last edited by born_free : 13th January 2017 at 19:37.
born_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 13:25   #198
BHPian

Rolls Royce 1996 model can’t ply in Delhi, says NGT
Quote:
NEW DELHI: A Rolls Royce car owner was denied permission from NGT to renew his vehicle registration for the petrol-driven model which was bought by him in 1996.
Quote:
The applicant in his plea stated that he required renewing the registration so the car could be sent to the manufacturer in UK and be made Euro IV norms compliant.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/59059718.cms
darklord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 14:10   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord
Rolls Royce 1996 model can’t ply in Delhi, says NGT

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/59059718.cms
This is the nature of bureaucracy.
Attached Images

drsingh is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 10:55   #200
BHPian

Guys! Is there any clarification over the deregistration of Diesel vehicles over 10 years old, in Delhi /NCR?.

I have a 7 yrs old Fortuner and intend to keep it. So any pointers would be helpful.

If the diesel vehicles are indeed being deregistered, I will sell it asap.

Thanks
car_crazy1400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 14:55   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Guys! Is there any clarification over the deregistration of Diesel vehicles over 10 years old, in Delhi /NCR?.

I have a 7 yrs old Fortuner and intend to keep it. So any pointers would be helpful.

If the diesel vehicles are indeed being deregistered, I will sell it asap.

Thanks
Same case with me. I did some Googling and found an article dated 30 April 2017, which gives an insight into Centre fighting the case with NGT on its ruling to ban diesel vehicles over 10 years age.

http://www.firstpost.com/india/banni...e-3415766.html

Last edited by forbhaskarm : 13th June 2017 at 15:07. Reason: Found an article with latest update
forbhaskarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 16:10   #202
BHPian

Still, it is not clear what the conditions are.

Awaiting the courts verdict now.
car_crazy1400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2017, 17:00   #203
BANNED

Hello!
Is this 10 years rule implemented in Delhi NCR? I thought now all diesel cars will be registered for 10 years only. I bought Ford Endeavour last month and got my registration number from dealer. I checked online for its details the expiry date is after 15 years only. I have not got my RC from dealer yet but checked details via SMS to VAAHAN number on mobile.
oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 15:50   #204
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1%

Today NGT refused to lift ban on 10 year old Diesel vehicles.

Source: NDTV
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/ngt-refus...ome-topstories

Last edited by Eddy : 14th September 2017 at 17:47. Reason: Moved to the correct thread
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 16:29   #205
BHPian

Our policy makers and the courts that decide on these policies really are on top of their game. While NGT decides that cars older than 10 years are too polluting and have to be banned, Supreme court decides that bursting of crackers, completely useless it may be, is not polluting enough and can continue as hitherto. FYI, there was a ban on sale of crackers in NCR, from after last years diwali to before this order of Supreme Court a few days back. Yes, the ban effectively stayed in place between the 2 diwalis, and everyone can continue to make merry as always.
Jai Hind.
nvldvr is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 21:35   #206
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default views about 10 year old diesel vehicles banned in Delhi ncr region

Dear All,
As per the latest news 10 years old diesel vehicle will be off the roads in Delhi Ncr region ,if this same rule is made all over the country it will be really sad to let go off your decade old diesel vehicles which you all must have maintained in pristine condition.I have a Ford Ikon tdci which i love and its 9 yrs old now,however i am based in Pune city,so before the rule is made applicable all over India it will be wise to sell the car and buy a Petrol Car as the NGT is hellbent over discontinuing diesel vehicles
here`s the text quoted from the news article
Source:times of India

Highlights
  • National Green Tribunal declined to lift the ban on decade old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR, noting that emissions from diesel vehicles were carcinogenic
  • Reports declared that emission from one new diesel car is equivalent to 24 petrol and 84 new CNG cars on road
Reports declare one new diesel car is equivalent to 24 petrol cars and 84 new CNG cars on road NEW DELHI: A decade old diesel vehicles will now have to go off the roads with the National Green Tribunal today declining to lift its ban on them in Delhi-NCR, noting that emissions from diesel vehicles were carcinogenic.

The green panel said the Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises has failed to prove that the use of 10-year-old diesel vehicles will not be harmful to the health of people.

It also said that a report of the pollution monitoring body has declared that one new diesel car is equivalent to 24 petrol and 84 new CNG cars on road.

Refusing to recall its order directing deregistration of old diesel vehicles, the green tribunal said the Ministry's plea seeking modification of the NGT direction was not maintainable and liable to be rejected at the threshold.

A bench headed by Justice Swatanter Kumar also junked the government's plea on the ground that the Supreme Court has rejected similar appeals challenging the ban on vehicles and the orders passed by this Tribunal had reached "logical end and finality."

"Undisputedly, the applicant (Centre) had failed to substantiate before passing of the order dated April 7, 2015 that use of diesel vehicles of more than 10 years will not be detrimental to the health of people and further failed to negate statistical information that the particulate matter level in vehicular emissions consequent to diesel as fuel was scientifically proved to be carcinogenic, leading to fatality and undetectable setback in health shortening the life span...," the bench said.

Referring to a report published by the Central Pollution Control Board, the green body said the use of diesel in vehicles was highly toxic carcinogenic and leads to an untimely fatality.

"The report speaks loudly, that it is the most harmful of the exhaust emissions which release particulate emission, that is carcinogenic. The report declares one new diesel car is equivalent to 24 petrol cars and 84 new CNG cars on road," the tribunal said.

The bench which delivered the judgment also comprised Justices Jawad Rahim and R S Rathore and expert member B S Sajwan.

The green panel refused to agree with the submission of the Ministry that its order banning 10-year-old diesel vehicles and directing it to be scrapped was in violation to the Motor Vehicle Act,1988.

It said that if in a given circumstance the government failed to discharge its statutory obligation, the tribunal cannot be a "silent spectator" and let the citizens suffer.

"Undoubtedly, facts, in this case, are that despite the direction of Supreme Court to ensure clean air and improve the ambient air quality in Delhi-NCR, the state machinery has failed.

"It is evident that the Centre and state failed to take such steps as are necessary including examining the ill-effect on the environment by use of diesel vehicles which are old and have impacted the air quality adversely, though the provision in Section 59 conferred discretion on the Central Government to specify age it has failed to exercise such power," the bench said.

It also said that the circumstances and material data regarding the consequences of degradation in ambient air quality had necessitated the NGT action.

Rebutting the Centre's argument that right to property guaranteed by the Constitution cannot be infringed by it, the NGT said the right is not absolute and subject to reasonable restrictions.

"We affirmatively hold that provision of Motor Vehicle Act and such other enactments are subject to Environment Protection Act as the provisions of enactments dealing with the environment are in furtherance to protecting the right to life guaranteed by Article 21 of the Constitution," the bench said.

"Consequently, we hold that the directions issued by this Tribunal on July 18 and July 20, 2016, are legal and suffer from no legal infirmity or lack of jurisdiction. Contentions to the contrary urged in this regard are therefore discounted," the NGT order said.

The tribunal said its orders of April 7, 2015, and those dated July 18 and July 20, 2016, had "stood the test of judicial review by the Supreme Court in the exercise of its statutory power of Appeal. Thus in no circumstances, the orders in question are assailable."

On April 7, 2015, the NGT had banned all diesel vehicles over ten years old from plying in Delhi-NCR roads.

Later, on July 18 and 20 last year, it had ordered deregistration of 15 to 10 years old diesel vehicles in the national capital in a phased manner.

The National Green Tribunal ban on old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR, that is a health disaster to the Citizens, SHALL STAY in the interest of the health of the Citizens, Politicians and Bureaucrats, ... Read Moregreenfield

It had said that diesel vehicles which are 15- years-old should be de-registered first and will not get No Objection Certificate (NoC) for plying outside Delhi-NCR.

Only de-registered diesel vehicles which are less than 15-years old can get NoC for plying in select areas outside Delhi-NCR to be decided by states where vehicle density is less, the NGT had said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60516248.cms
vineetg84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 21:47   #207
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately, i support this, and I think all diesel vehicles - irrespective of age - must go off the roads, sooner rather than later. Yes, other measures can also be undertaken, however in isolation this is the right move for everyone's benefit. All cess and road taxes on electric and cng hybrids must be waived off completely, making them absolutely unbeatable in value, both for the consumer as well as the manufacturer. The government cannot have its cake and eat it too. This government on the other hand seems to be eating everyone elses cake as well, but thats a subject for a different thread. NGT must champion cng/electric incentives and not just ban things.

There should be a push towards infrastructure for cng and electric hybrids all over the country. All existing diesel dispensing units in bunks must be converted to cng and also add quick charge electric stations within each bunk as mandatory to continue to be a dealership. Diesel units must be few and far between, just like existing cng units, pushing everyone towards cleaner fuel, just for convenience sake. Morals will probably come by later.

Last edited by Red Liner : 14th September 2017 at 21:54.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 22:21   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: views about 10 year old diesel vehicles banned in Delhi ncr region

This is nothing but a populist move which was taken by the NGT to come into the limelight and now being upheld by the courts as they will otherwise be seen to be in bad light. It is wrong by whichever way you look at things:

1. It is against the current law or act.
2. The government is letting the citizens bear the brunt of their misdoing in form of losing on resale, having to spend more money on a new car.
3. Refund of the additional tax collected and interest earned over it for 10 years.
4. Zero trustworthy statistics of the contribution of diesel private vehicles to the city's overall pollution levels. Zero statistics on the effect this has had and the amount by which the pollution has reduced in this last year and a half since this rule came into existence.
5. Last but not the least, zero action by the government and the courts in policy forming, future plan lay out, additional steps taken to address the rising pollution levels. Yes they didn't do it in the past. But now since it has suddenly become the coffee table discussion of every household, courts and government bodies, why no plan of action now to tackle it? Just the odd runs of an ill-thought out odd-even rule in Delhi and that is it.
Have the industries been regulated? No.
Has the public transport improved? No.
Has security in car pooling and public transport improved? No.
Have alternate fuel like hybrid etc have been made duty free to give their sales a boost? No.
Have the multiple construction sites flouting norms and causing most of the dust pollution been regulated? No.
Has traffic congestion been sorted out in order to ensure lesser fuel wastage and hence lesser pollution? No.

I can go and on but then I would just be wasting everyone's time out here.
drmohitg is online now   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 23:39   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Supreme Court bans registration of diesel cars over 2,000 cc in Delhi & NCR:EDIT lifted with 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Today NGT refused to lift ban on 10 year old Diesel vehicles.

Source: NDTV
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/ngt-refus...ome-topstories
The Ministry of Heavy Industry had also petitioned to the NGT on this matter. However, it appears that the NGT has overstepped its jurisdiction in the matter of deciding the life of motor vehicles. The Section 59 of the MV Act 1988 vests this power to decide the life of a motor vehicle with the Central Government and this being an Act passed by the Parliament , the supreme authority in a democracy it is not a subject matter for interpretation of such law by the courts.

Quote:

59. Power to fix the age limit of motor vehicle. – (1) The Central Government may, having regard to the public safety, convenience and
objects of this Act, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify the life of a motor vehicle reckoned from the date of its manufacture, after the expiry of which the motor vehicle shall not be deemed to comply with the requirements of this Act and the Rules made thereunder :
Provided that the Central Government may specify different ages for
different classes or different types of motor vehicles.
(2) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (1), the Central Government may, having regard to the purpose of a motor vehicle, such as,
display or use for the purposes of a demonstration in any exhibition, use for the purposes of technical research or taking part in a vintage car rally, by
notification in the Official Gazette, exempt, by a general or special order, subject to such conditions as may be specified in such notification, any class or type of motor vehicle from the operation of sub-section (1) for the purpose to be stated in the notification.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in section 56, no prescribed authority or authorized testing station shall grant a certificate of fitness to a motor vehicle in contravention of the provisions of any notification issued under sub-section (1).
Corresponding Law. – This is a new provision in the 1988 Act.
Objects and Reasons. – Clause 59 seeks to empower the Central Government to specify the life of motor vehicle of any class or type beyond which the vehicle have to be kept-off the roads. It also confers upon the Central Government the power to exempt from the provisions of this clause vintage cars.
Feel that the central government counsel in the NGT need to have dealt with the matter fully emphasizing the powers vested with the Central Government in this matter u/s 59 as cited above.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th September 2017 at 23:43.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 09:11   #210
BHPian

Default Re: views about 10 year old diesel vehicles banned in Delhi ncr region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Unfortunately, i support this, and I think all diesel vehicles - irrespective of age - must go off the roads, sooner rather than later.
I support this too - wholeheartedly!

Around a decade back, I used to strongly advocate the Turbo-Diesels and then the Common Rails, as the engine of choice, because of their torque response, mileage, life etc. This was at a time, when the majority junta were buying and advocating Petrols!
Being somewhat into off-roading and exploration, these diesel engines were also more aligned to my usage.
However, over a period of time, I have come to realize that my individual preference towards Diesels, leads to a higher environmental impact, and within the given constraints of technology, availability and cost, the only way out I see in the interim, is to revert to Petrol engines or EV's.
I currently drive a 2+ year old Scorpio, and I sincerely regret buying it. My change of heart happened sometime after I had bought it; but now it can't be helped.
Eventually this change in personal preference, would also mean me giving up on off-roading, unless I can live with a Gypsy (still thinking...), because almost 99% remaining options are Diesel only.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote