Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th July 2016, 19:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Nissan Micra tops Indian car exports in June 2016

Nissan Micra has become India's most exported car for the month of June 2016. The Japanese automaker shipped 6,807 units of the Micra last month.

Nissan manufactures the Micra at the Renault-Nissan alliance plant in Oragadam, near Chennai. It is then exported to more than 100 countries, with Britain, Switzerland, Germany and Italy being the biggest markets of the hatchback.

Nissan started its operations in India in 2010, and has exported over 620,000 cars till date. The company touts itself to be a major contributor in the Government's Make in India initiative, with a total contribution of over Rs. 30,000 crores in foreign exchange.

Contrary to its higher export numbers of June 2016, just 554 units of the Nissan Micra were sold in the domestic market during the same period.

Name:  nissanmicradefaultimage.png
Views: 2762
Size:  124.5 KB

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 29th July 2016 at 19:30.
dZired is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 19:36   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Micra tops Indian car exports in June 2016

Well, that is a pleasant surprise. I don't remember the last time I saw the Micra on the road. Are the Micras which are exported have the same specs as the one they selling in India or are they upgraded/better versions? If it is the latter, then Nissan should introduce those export-spec models in India - they might just start doing better numbers.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 23:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Nissan Micra tops Indian car exports in June 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
If it is the latter, then Nissan should introduce those export-spec models in India - they might just start doing better numbers.
Even if it is the export spec model, they won't be able to sell it well. The first gen Micra (which I own) created a girly image of the car and spoiled the chances of the car selling well. To be honest, it's a brilliant practical vehicle for city runabouts. But Nissan has already lost the battle.

No matter how much they improve it now; it's already game over!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 23:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Well, that is a pleasant surprise. I don't remember the last time I saw the Micra on the road. Are the Micras which are exported have the same specs as the one they selling in India or are they upgraded/better versions? If it is the latter, then Nissan should introduce those export-spec models in India - they might just start doing better numbers.
As like any other OEM, export version of Micra is also little different. To say few, export versions are equipped with different instrumental cluster, has in- built navigation system, vehicle dynamics control systems, full curtain air bags etc.

Micra, like many others, could have done really good in India, but the overall curvy profile inside out, less flashy interiors, made it no competition to cars like Swift, Figo, i10 etc.

Nissan should evolve faster to the customer demands in India. The new generation Micra (Sway concept) has everything to turn them into good market position, but they should launch it in India at the same time around its global release. They need to launch a car that can shake up the entire segment, like how i20 and Brezza did it.
redbaron91 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 08:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

No wonder Nissan is least bothered about the domestic sales. Use the benefits of cheap labor and lower production cost here and make merry. Why bother to actually put in your mind and efforts to understand our market and try to make a mark for yourself.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 13:52   #6
BHPian

I have no idea if this is possible or not but if the export spec machine has better equipment list - is it not possible for an Indian buyer to get it? or may be why not Nissan sells better spec cars in India?

Is there a formal answer to it?
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 14:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nissan should introduce those export-spec models in India - they might just start doing better numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No wonder Nissan is least bothered about the domestic sales. Use the benefits of cheap labor and lower production cost here and make merry. Why bother to actually put in your mind and efforts to understand our market and try to make a mark for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I have no idea if this is possible or not but if the export spec machine has better equipment list - is it not possible for an Indian buyer to get it? or may be why not Nissan sells better spec cars in India?

Is there a formal answer to it?
Sorry for being pessimistic, but I would like to share my view here.

Unless the consumer stands up, and demands a better product, the market is not going to change. This is a consumer driven market... Lets take a quick look at few products and the response our market has shown now.

1) Fiat Punto - Well built car, safe, drives like a proper European hatch should and has a competent diesel engine.
Safety : Its braking and structural rigidity is well known - you can refer to the Accidents thread for reference.
Market response: Sales dud

2) Ford Figo / Aspire - Has won many comparison tests, and is also well sorted dynamically and in other aspects too. Not as well built as its predecessors, but still on par / better than its direct competitors.
Safety : Offers airbags standard, and also has a variant offering 6 air-bags, braking has not been reported to be of any concern.
Market response: Nothing to write home about

3) Suzuki Swift / Dzire - Car is known to be competent, but has much better rivals now, at this price point as on today.
Safety : Not known to have heavy body panels, has had braking issues, and reportedly a smaller brake booster, causing worries since launch. Suzuki has offered safety features available as an option recently, but their availability is a concern, we even have a thread on that in our forum.
Market response: Super Hit

4) Renault Kwid / Suzuki Alto / Suzuki Wagon R - Now we all know that these cars are light weight cars with more focus on fuel efficiency and weight saving.
Safety : They care more about comfort features than about safety features. Not known to have strong structures either.
Market response: Blockbusters

With this kind of responses from the market, why would Nissan or any other manufacturer want to give better, safer, export-spec cars?

I really want this scenario to change, but that again, is in the hands of our car buying population. As long as we have people valuing touch screen over their own life, we can't expect much from the car makers
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 14:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
With this kind of responses from the market, why would Nissan or any other manufacturer want to give better, safer, export-spec cars?

I really want this scenario to change, but that again, is in the hands of our car buying population. As long as we have people valuing touch screen over their own life, we can't expect much from the car makers
It is not just about safety. It is about other things too. Nissan has atrocious after sales. What will I do with those airbags if I have to run all around Delhi to get a simple service done. My 50k km Sunny has already got its dashboard opened twice for AC problems, still has pathetic cooling, has had its starter motor replaced, rear shockers replaced and has visited four different service centres till date for the above work, spanning Delhi, Gurgaon and Noida. So even if Nissan offers me a car with 100 balloons, I won't touch it unless they provide me basic competent after sales centre.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 14:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nissan would care less as far as the moolah is coming. Be it from exports or domestic sales.
However, what is sad to see is even post the Hoover divorce, Nissan has done precious little to revamp the ASC and the after sales remains a worry to its existing and even potential customers.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 16:40   #10
BHPian

Just to clarify, Micras are hard to find in 3 of the 4 countries that's mentioned as 'biggest markets' (haven't been to Britain)

By biggest, they probably mean a considerable percentage of the 6800, a number which isn't too big to begin within considering the number of countries they are exporting to.

Side and/or curtain airbags and ESP equivalents are likely to be there in the European export variants.

You are more likely to spot a Yaris than a Micra in that segment. And Qashqai or Juke among the Nissans.

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2016 at 12:53. Reason: Typo
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote