Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th November 2016, 22:30   #376
BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Suppose the fancy electronics fail. The basic 4HL and 4LL should still work, right?
Hard to say... depends on whether the program allows it, or whether some "4wd Error" code sets and an IP lamp comes on directing you to the nearest service center (which in the Himalayan region could be a LONG way away). Let's suppose the basic 4x4 system DOES still work, which is probable. Let's suppose you've been driving someplace deep offroad with the assumption that you've got VSC/ATC/DAC/HAC/ETC/ETC and it's been getting you safely across slippery slopes, through deep river crossings, through some snowy stretches of trail, etc... and THEN one or more of them quits (it could be caused by as little as a bad connection in a wheel-speed sensor or any other sensor) and you're stranded out in the middle of it with an error code. Or worse yet with no code and seriously degraded functionality. The car is now practically uncontrollable over the same terrain you just traveled. First of all it makes things unpredictable in terms of the car's limitations and expected behavior; Secondly there is still the question of what it's going to cost you to finally get it fixed if and when you get back home (or are you just going to put a piece of black electrical tape over that annoying "service required" lamp and sell the car off as soon as possible at a real bargain price ???).

I do realize that for people buying these new this year, the issue isn't likely to arise for some years and owners are likely to enjoy their purchase for quite awhile. But later... or for someone else someday, the problems can/will come up.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 27th November 2016 at 22:38.
ringoism is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2016, 23:28   #377
Senior - BHPian

An interesting short (although not comprehensive) read on the electronics of Fortuner:

2016 TOYOTA FORTUNER TECHNICAL ANALYSIS 4WD SYSTEM EXPLAINED

Most off the electronics VSC, ATRAC, HDAC are switchable to off (ignore the rear differential lock button in above link, it doesn't exist in new Fortuner).

With all the electronics gizmos conked off, BUT for the 4WD electronics, it should still work well as the 4WD brute force, only mostly manually controlled. I would have loved to see the organic 4WD lever like before instead of the 4WD switch with its related sensors and actuators.
parsh is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 00:20   #378
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VIDEO: My New Fortuner Delivery Experience !

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Video: Taking Delivery of my 2016 New Fortuner 4x4 M/T;

Congrats once again Karan. I could see the excitement and happiness. Wish you a million miles with your new Fortuner.

I did a second test drive of the Fortuner AT today evening. The car is simply fantastic and in no time I was 20% faster than the ton in Power Mode. The ECO Mode tames the car too much. Even in Normal Mode, the car felt a bit sluggish. Switching to Power Mode felt amazing. This simply brings out the Monster.

After seeing your short video, i want to Check-out the MT and have asked Lanson Toyota to arrange for a test drive of MT.

Cheers!!!
MAS is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 12:06   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as i know, Fortuner's PWR button only increases the throttle response by 20%. Nothing more.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 13:26   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suppose the fancy electronics fail. The basic 4HL and 4LL should still work, right?
Quote:
Hard to say... depends on whether the program allows it, or whether some "4wd Error" code sets and an IP lamp
Looks you guys have a valid point, more so for the Indian Variant where they have skipped the rear lock. I have personally experienced problems at low temperatures in the snow with ABS sensors, though it was on Pajero and a decade back. Newer electronics may be different but since ATRAC does work on electronics, Indian version will be severely crippled in case something goes wrong.

Perhaps, Karan can check with his contacts in Toyota India and confirm.

Quote:
During my interaction with some senior Toyota officials at the Fortuner 4x4 event which i attended last weekend id like to add that the 1st initial lot of Fortuners will have the Engine and transmission imported & will not be locally made at the new GD series plant here in India
From the link Parsh posted -

Rear cross-axle differential lock – Disables all electronics when it is activated, and can only be used in low range.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th November 2016 at 13:30.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 14:44   #381

Hi BHPians! It has been 20 days since the launch of the Fortuner. Any word about when the Official Team BHP review will be out?

I'm kind of holding my breath for that.

-Arjun
Stratosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 22:51   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Congrats!! Loved the video . I could understand the impatient wait and all the excitement. Good to see that you made a video out of it
Thank You Dr., yes i was looking forward to filming this kinda video & seems it turned well

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Many congratulations Karan. Wishing you the best and hope you have an excellent ownership.

Other than black, the car really shines in the Super White colour.
Hey, thanks for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Karan- the video captures the anxiety and eagerness very well. It was very exciting to be with you for the car delivery via this video of yours!!

Many Congratulations, once again!!
Hey Get, thanks again man !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Congrats once again Karan. I could see the excitement and happiness. Wish you a million miles with your new Fortuner.
Hey MAS, thanks again for your wishes.

Quote:
After seeing your short video, i want to Check-out the MT and have asked Lanson Toyota to arrange for a test drive of MT.
Great, do report back after your test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Newer electronics may be different but since ATRAC does work on electronics, Indian version will be severely crippled in case something goes wrong.
So what if ATRAC is electronic, that way the entire Terrain Management System on the Endeavour is an electronic gizmo, If that goes wrong then its the same fate for the Endeavour.

Quote:
Rear cross-axle differential lock – Disables all electronics when it is activated, and can only be used in low range.
Yes.
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 22:56   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what if ATRAC is electronic, that way the entire Terrain Management System on the Endeavour is an electronic gizmo, If that goes wrong then its the same fate for the Endeavour.
I won't have a clue and nor did I thought of comparison with Ford , I still believe Endeavour is a better product - specification/ features. Unfortunately, they still can't sell enough as Toyota due to previous generation issue / overall FORD image. Some guys raised points which appeared to be valid and I thought you can use your contacts to get an answer if Toyota has some other backup options for Indian variants due to missing rear lock.

Now after you posted this, I just googled and found this, what's good is that unlike Toyota FORD has not taken off any of major features from Indian variants.

TMS works independently of the low-range gearbox and rear differential lock to vary stability control intervention, traction control severity and throttle response to allow greater flexibility off-road

http://www.caradvice.com.au/402953/h...-ford-everest/

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th November 2016 at 23:13.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 23:19   #384
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I won't have a clue and nor did I thought of comparison with Ford , I still believe Endeavour is a better product - specification/ features. Unfortunately, they still can't sell enough as Toyota due to previous generation issue / overall FORD image. Some guys raised points which appeared to be valid and I thought you can use your contacts to get an answer if Toyota has some other backup options for Indian variants due to missing rear lock.

Now after you posted this, I just googled and found this, what's good is that unlike Toyota FORD has not taken off any of major features from Indian variants.

TMS works independently of the low-range gearbox and rear differential lock to vary stability control intervention, traction control severity and throttle response to allow greater flexibility off-road

http://www.caradvice.com.au/402953/h...-ford-everest/
But to go into the the 4x4Low you have to go into ROCK MODE, which means using the Terrain Management System.

Anyway i think we are going

karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 19:00   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

New vs old, courtesy Rush Lane.

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-toyotafortuneroldvsnew2.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-toyotafortuneroldvsnew14.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-toyotafortuneroldvsnew16.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-toyotafortuneroldvsnew10.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-toyotafortuneroldvsnew9.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-toyotafortuneroldvsnew121140x759.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 19:08   #386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rear cross-axle differential lock Disables all electronics when it is activated, and can only be used in low range.
This is not available in the Indian edition of Fortuner.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 19:11   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

A Few pictures of both my Fortuners (New v/s Old)

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1480513191.857548.jpg
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1480513224.630939.jpg
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1480513245.492171.jpg
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-imageuploadedbyteambhp1480513261.737487.jpg

^ These were taken on the delivery day, a proper photoshoot will follow soon

Last edited by karan561 : 30th November 2016 at 19:33.
karan561 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 00:52   #388
BHPian

Default All New Fortuner : Xtreme Off-Roading

Thank you TOYOTA for giving me this wonderful opportunity to explore this beast in its glory.

Toyota experiential drive camp was held in the outskirts of Bangalore, a platform to test the true potential of the monster, off the road.

The event started at 9 AM. Maximum of 4 people allowed in a car.

It began with a briefing session on providing some vital information about Fortuner and the off-road track.

Workhorse : 2.8 L Diesel -> 6-Speed AT -> 177 PS -> 4x4

A picture is worth thousand words...

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0201.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0204.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0206.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0207.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0208.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0209.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0211.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0219.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0020.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0025.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0021.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0026-copy.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0028.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0029.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0032.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0037.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0047.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0054.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0057.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0058.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0059.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0063.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0066.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0072.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0076.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0085.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0093.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0089-1.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0109.jpg  

Last edited by Zahoor23 : 1st December 2016 at 03:04.
Zahoor23 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 01:37   #389
BHPian

Default Re: All New Fortuner : Xtreme Off-Roading

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0107.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0121.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0122.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0126.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0128.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0111.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0132.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0140.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0135.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0141.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0143.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0150.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0153.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0155.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0160.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0167.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0170.jpg  

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0138.jpg (2.23 MB, 32 views)
Zahoor23 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 02:14   #390
BHPian

Default Re: All New Fortuner : Xtreme Off-Roading

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0176.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0177.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0180.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0181.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0184.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0187.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0189.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0191.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0192.jpg

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0233.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0250.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0252.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0256.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0258.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0260.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0261.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0262.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0263.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0266.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0268.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0269.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0271.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0314.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0316.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0322.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0298.jpg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-dsc_0333.jpg  

Zahoor23 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote