Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st October 2016, 11:57   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14

Quote:
The suspension had a tendency to bottom out and Toyota took remedial measures.
with the limited information, I won't call this as a manufacturing problem perhaps changes based on customer feedback, although this car was built primarily for Indian markets. Maybe Toyota engineers underestimated our driving/road conditions If you look at Mahindra / Tata new launches probably then you will realise where I am coming from.

coming to the topic, as per local sales guy, the launch is planned for November only but they are taking bookings - 1 lac refundable and committing delivery from the first lot. Getting one booked today

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd October 2016 at 06:55. Reason: Quoted text deleted
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 12:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
coming to the topic, as per local sales guy, the launch is planned for November only but they are taking bookings - 1 lac refundable and committing delivery from the first lot. Getting one booked today
Wow. that's a good news. So the Endy got company.

The new Fortuner looks good and is sure to topple the current segment leader (Endeavour) The black interior gets my 100 marks but some of the switches and controls still look old. The only way Ford can still give competition is by pricing the Endy low.

Regardless, our market is so skewed towards Toyota !
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 12:51   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorque View Post
Yes there was a problem with the front suspension and my source is closer to ground zero than you can imagine.
So according to your source close to ground zero. Indian Fortuner has a redesigned front suspension which didn't appear in any other markets?

Or is it a problem with a vendor sourced component?

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd October 2016 at 06:56. Reason: Quoted text deleted
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 12:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So the Endy got company.
I gave endeavour to my colleague 2 months ago and picked Isuzu V cross. As mentioned elsewhere although V Cross is nice and different, somehow I am not able to use the way it was intended. I believe lack of Auto transmission, size, overall ergonomics & comfort cannot be matched with Endy/Fortuner. But I always had a backup plan to use Isuzu in one of our remote office where I visit couple of times in a month

Quote:
our market is so skewed towards Toyota
while in mine case, I am quite satisfied with FORD but since I still have access to my colleague's endeavour it does not make sense to pick another one. However you are correct, Toyota can easily launch this at 10-20 % premium over Endeavour but my gut feeling is that they won't go beyond 10 % -15% of existing variants. I expect 4x4 Auto price not more than 32 lac Ex-Showroom.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 00:07   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota will price the all-new Fortuner above Rs 30 lakhs ex-showroom when it is launched in November, according to ACI sources.

Quote:
In a first for the Fortuner, Toyota will initially launch the SUV with both petrol and diesel engines. Built on the same platform as the Innova, the Fortuner will feature both the 2.8-litre diesel and 2.7-litre petrol engines initially, and will have switchable drive modes for power and economy.

There will be three configurations; the diesel will likely get a four-wheel drive layout with both a manual and an automatic gearbox. Toyota's 4WD system is now called Sigma 4 and it features active traction control for all four wheels, according to the manufacturer.

The petrol will launch with a 4x2 system and a manual gearbox. Undoubtedly, the heavier 4X4 system and an automatic gearbox would severely compromise the fuel-efficiency figures. The petrol will get a five-speed manual gearbox whereas the diesel will have a six-speed unit.

The diesel cars will be fitted with 18-inch alloys, while the petrol will have 17-inch rims. In terms of variants, there will only be one fully loaded version at launch. Additional features include segment first bi-beam LED headlamps with LED daytime running lamps and push-button start to name a few.
Name:  fortx3.jpg
Views: 7492
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  fortx4.jpg
Views: 7475
Size:  31.0 KB

Name:  fortx2.jpg
Views: 7456
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  fortx6.jpg
Views: 7467
Size:  28.9 KB

Name:  fortx5.jpg
Views: 7464
Size:  34.2 KB

Name:  fortx1.jpg
Views: 11661
Size:  43.0 KB

Last edited by RavenAvi : 2nd October 2016 at 00:22. Reason: underlined important points
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 10:48   #66
BHPian

Is there something missing at the centre of the wheel ? I think there should be a logo or cap to cover the gap than leaving it open ? Attached the Ford wheel picture for comparison

Name:  fortx4.jpg
Views: 7207
Size:  63.7 KB

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-newfordendeavouralloywheels.jpeg
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 11:19   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Is there something missing at the centre of the wheel ? I think there should be a logo or cap to cover the gap than leaving it open ? Attached the Ford wheel picture for comparison

Attachment 1561639

Attachment 1561640

Those are known as hub caps and are usually put on only before delivery at the showroom. The car leaves the factory without the hub caps.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2016, 12:00   #68
BHPian

The above pic shows some inconsistent panel gap between the bonnet and side fender compared to the doors. Not sure if its really uneven or the camera angle making it look this way. The other pics too do show some inconsistency.

Last edited by Venku2015 : 2nd October 2016 at 12:02.
Venku2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 00:50   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Pratik Kanada for sharing these images! Caught at an Ahmedabad dealership.

Attachment 1561162
Thanks for Sharing GTO and Pratik. Looks stunning and cabin looks more airy than the outgoing Fortuner!
karthikd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 07:03   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post

The above pic shows some inconsistent panel gap between the bonnet and side fender compared to the doors. Not sure if its really uneven or the camera angle making it look this way. The other pics too do show some inconsistency.
Honestly. I like the present gen Fortuner's no nonsense , tough looks. This one seems to have a bit of an elongated nose and to me, looks a bit Pajero-esque.

What would be nice, is that if, while retaining all the positives of the present day Fortuner, these Toyota fellows give the consumer much more by way of bells and whistles, considering the frightful amounts of money that they charge for this vehicle.

Atleast 7-8 Airbags, Park Assist, Hill Descent, Lane change assist and all the rest of it, would be nice, at these prices.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:55   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

More dealership spyshots, courtesy Autos Arena.

Name:  ToyotaFortuner3.jpg
Views: 5165
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  ToyotaFortuner2.jpg
Views: 5174
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  ToyotaFortuner1.jpg
Views: 5182
Size:  93.0 KB
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Isn't the front overhang too much in the new version?
Or is it just my eyes..
Absolutely agree with Arun. I join the group which likes the current version better than the new one.

Last edited by starter : 3rd October 2016 at 11:13.
starter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 11:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Opinions about looks are always subjective, so there's no right or wrong, just the camp of 'Like it' or 'Dislike it'.

Put me in the camp of 'Dislike it'.

These photos seem to indicate the new Fortuner is an incoherent mishmash of different design philosophies. Its almost as though a father-son duo were involved in its design, each bringing with them their own generational mindset to the table:
  • The son starts to design the front to be fluidic, swoopy and modern - hence the elongated headlamps and snout-like nose.
  • Sonny boy takes a break and father picks up the front 2 rows. He goes in for a classic SUV design, with a beltline parallel to the ground, and a nice squarish theme.
  • Son comes back from his break, and freaks out asking "Dad, are you designing this for the 90s or 2000s? We're living in the 2010s, get with the times!" And he then puts in all manner of swoopiness into the beltline from the C pillar to the end.

Name:  ToyotaFortuner2.jpg
Views: 5008
Size:  93.0 KB

Purely in terms of looks, I'd give this a thumbs down - the current Fortuner and previous Endeavour both went in for a boxy and butch look, and they ended up having that timeless and appealing tough-as-nails appearance. Even the new Endeavour has pulled off a very cohesive boxy-yet-modern look. I'm not convinced this new Fortuner design will age as well.

EDIT: On the other hand, big thumbs up for the black interiors. Black is the new beige!

Last edited by arunphilip : 3rd October 2016 at 11:12.
arunphilip is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 14:50   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so there's no right or wrong, just the camp of 'Like it' or 'Dislike it'.
I believe looks would grow, when we start seeing these more often on road. This certainly has design elements from bigger brother - Look at the rear as well the padded surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-1.jpeg  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-screen-shot-20161003-2.47.03-pm.png  

Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14-screen-shot-20161003-2.49.31-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd October 2016 at 14:53.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2016, 19:21   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI reports that Toyota India will be launching the all-new Fortuner on November 7, 2016.

They also claim that a lower-specced 2.4L diesel will join the variant ranks at a later date.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote