Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th August 2016, 09:03   #31
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: July 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Mahindras fail to have even a single entry in the Top-20. (What happened to Bolero?)

Tatas on the other hand have entered the Top-20 with good volumes in Tiago.

Is the tide turning for these 2 companies ?
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 09:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Good show by the auto companies. Maruti at 1.25 lacs seems to be running away to glory. Don't we Indians just love the Marutis.
Based on the charts, just did a small interpretation of Segment wise leaders.

Segments with undisputed leaders:
Where the lead car's graph has never been touched by the competition
A Segment Alto
B1 Segment WagonR
C1 Segment Dzire
D1 Segment XUV5OO

Apart from D1 segment, Maruti has a firm grip on all the '1' segments.
All the ups and downs and the crown stealing action is limited to the '2' segments, like B2 C2 D2.
Where do you reckon would the Innova fit in? Considering the vehicle in its entirety - the features, price, buyer profile etc - wouldn't you reckon it sits squarely in the D1 now?
wilful is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 09:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: July 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Brilliant thread by Aditya, thanks for the effort in pulling up the statistics.

Maruti occupying 11 spots in the top 20 lists goes to show the kind of faith the Indian customers have in the desi car manufacturer. But what beats me is a structurally unfit cars like Omni selling in 8K+ numbers. Quite contrast to the structurally fantastic cars like Fiat. Fiat themselves have to blame for this, be content in selling engines.

What's pushed Sumo sales up, was it some hefty discounting part or Tata's have quietly introduced another rehashed version? Is Amaze cannibalizing the City sales? Tata seems to be taking some huge strides in the sales.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 09:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Where do you reckon would the Innova fit in? Considering the vehicle in its entirety - the features, price, buyer profile etc - wouldn't you reckon it sits squarely in the D1 now?
I have not made the segments, just used the existing ones given in the TBhp thread. I do agree with you that Innova is a D1 segment vehicle, but look at the image below, which I used for reference.

July 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-capture_innova.jpg
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 09:58   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Mahindras fail to have even a single entry in the Top-20. (What happened to Bolero?)

Tatas on the other hand have entered the Top-20 with good volumes in Tiago.

Is the tide turning for these 2 companies ?
The uncertainty about diesels is probably the reason the Bolero is doing badly. Additionally, unlike the XUV500 and the Scorpio Mahindra has not given the Bolero a smaller engine. That will be affecting the car's sales too.

The Tiago looks nice and is a decent vehicle. However, we have to see if it manages to continue selling in high numbers. Remember the Zest's early months?
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 09:59   #36
BHPian

Thanks for the nice analysis Aditya.

I could not find any analysis or data for the luxury segment vehicles mainly BMW, Audi and Mercedes. With the new India head and petrol launches, will be interesting to see if BMW is picking up on sales.
anshumandun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 10:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
I have not made the segments, just used the existing ones given in the TBhp thread. I do agree with you that Innova is a D1 segment vehicle, but look at the image below, which I used for reference.

Attachment 1539876
Ok - that's interesting.
I never realised there were so many UVs.
Maybe even these need to be segmented - since there is such a wide chasm between the number one and two (Omni and Crysta) in terms of the actual vehicle, quality, size, price, features and so on. Apples to oranges.
On a side note, Mahindra would frown at this chart since it positions the Nuvosport as an SUV.
wilful is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 10:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki's 'no-nonsense' MPV- Ertiga crosses a mile stone in July sales, sells ~278,000 units, 4 years since its launch,

Name:  ertigasales.jpg
Views: 4669
Size:  37.4 KB

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th August 2016 at 10:21.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 10:48   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The uncertainty about diesels is probably the reason the Bolero is doing badly. Additionally, unlike the XUV500 and the Scorpio Mahindra has not given the Bolero a smaller engine. That will be affecting the car's sales too.
The Bolero is more of a tier II and III city vehicle. These cities do not even have a nationwide BS IV at present. Do you really feel they would be bothered about the diesel fiasco that is going on in NCR region? Also what other option do they have, if not the Bolero. I think it must be more of a production issue or balancing out unsold stock at dealers.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 11:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Happy to see the Tiago do decent volumes - with an AMT it just might leapfrog the Celerio (I see a lot of celerio AMT on road now a days).

Brezza is outselling the Creta 10:7 - but pricewise I believe Hyundai is not bothered as profits on Creta seem to be higher than Brezza.

i20 needs a price cut and an AT box ASAP if it has to keep outselling the Baleno and increase the gap.

Duster either needs a facelift (interior) or a price cut - else sales will dwindle further.

Figo twins - competent cars at decent price point finds no buyers. The problem is perception. aam junta perceives Ford as costly on the pocket and Ford loyalists do not like the mass market like offerings from Ford. Caught in no man's land, the Figo twins are sinking.

Honda - why is the Mobilio still being sold? they should shut the lines and concentrate on BRV. Also I heard from a dealership that BRV supplies are a problem and waiting times are turning off potential customers. Jazz maybe needs a price cut or feature rationalization.
blackasta is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 11:40   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
while many overpriced Maruti products are raking in the moolah only due to the strong aftersales of Maruti.
"After sales" by definition means taking care of the customer after the money is paid. Maybe other manufacturers need to start taking care of their customers as well too? There's no science to it. It's all about how much you care & how hard you'll willing to work.

Either ways, simply crediting Maruti's success to its excellent after-sales is a limited view. Fact is, their cars have gotten more competent (e.g. Baleno offers an excellent value proposition), the company has launched more cars than any other brand in the last 4 years (matched only by Hyundai), is tech friendly (AMT, Apple CarPlay, turbo-petrol coming up, SHVS), makes reliable cars (a simple factor that others fail at), has a tremendously hardworking sales & marketing force and so on. I could list another 20 reasons for Maruti's success. My point? There's a lot more to Maruti's prosperity than just the after-sales (important, but not the sole reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Think that 2200 Ameo's were sent by VW to dealerships. These are not ultimate sales numbers. This is the first batch of Ameo's sent by VW for display and promotions and don't think these would be sold.
VW has less than 200 dealerships in India. They don't need 10 demos per dealer. At best, 10% of this number is for sales & demonstration purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Renault, Nissan & Datsun Alliance bringing in 18386 units Sold for July 2016 is not a very negligible number keeping in mind that all the 3 put together has max 10 years of exposure in Indian Market.

Somehow I feel that among the late entrants to Indian market they have understood the market dynamics pretty well.
The Renault-Nissan combine also has the largest number of flops in their portfolio. It's only 3 cars (Kwid, Redigo, Duster) bringing in the numbers. Thus, I wouldn't say they have understood market dynamics. It's more of a machine gun approach of launching several cars, hoping that some click, unlike a precise sniper-like shot with 4 - 5 cars which get the formula spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think it must be more of a production issue or balancing out unsold stock at dealers.
Nope, it's not a production issue. Someone senior I met with at Mahindra first mentioned 'competition' as the main reason behind the Bolero's dip. In a visit to some rural parts of Nasik, I was surprised at the number of Vitara Brezzas, Ertigas, Cretas and even EcoSports! This wasn't the case just 3 years back. Outside the homes of rich farmers, a white Innova Crysta or Fortuner was guaranteed to be present.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 11:52   #42
BHPian

With good monsoon this time and festivals coming up, I am hoping that Mahindra will have good sales in the next few months, if they don't, then it is a problem.

Ford Aspire and Figo, good products but not working out well as far as dispatches are concerned. Sad. Ford, do log into team-bhp.com

Tiago is finally showing a ray of hope for Tata with constant growth in figures. I personally feel that this time Tata wont go wrong as the competition has nothing new to offer (Grand i10, Celerio, Wagon R: no updates or face-lifts in sight + Tiago actually has no baggage of the Indica image)
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 12:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
"

Either ways, simply crediting Maruti's success to its excellent after-sales is a limited view. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- I could list another 20 reasons for Maruti's success. My point? There's a lot more to Maruti's prosperity than just the after-sales (important, but not the sole reason).
Maruti was lucky in Indian market to begin with, a right place and right time situation. But their subsequent business moves are a subject of case study. Carried limited baggage of their past, focused on being no-nonsense first and exciting (occasionally) later, gave costumer what they value, never sat on the laurels and remained nimble in responding to the competition.

Any business that does all these will perform well, but most just do not. Clearly its as so easy as it seems.
rsm97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 12:59   #44
BHPian

It is great to see Vitara Brezza touching the 5 digit mark and the month on month improvement is terrific. Maruti is playing gem of an innings with their star players Vitara Brezza and Baleno.
S-Cross is slowly being put into sleep by the market. I feel, the facelifted version which is to hit the markets soon is never really going to arrest this fall

Ciaz now has a firm grip on the pole position in its sedan segment. Unless Honda does a complete rethinking of their strategy for City, there is going to be very little change in their monthly sales numbers.

Honda BRV seems to be settling in 3000 mark, never bothering to disturb Creta or Brezza for that matter. Only time will tell whether its fate will be similar to that of Mobilio.

Mahindra fans seem to prefer to TUV300 over Nuvosport. Now with this sales trend and numbers, maybe can we now officially declare Quanto/Nuvosport a flop and stop this facelift mania?!!!
Sarath_MoJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2016, 13:03   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Fortuner is finally losing its numbers to the Endeavour. And it truly deserves to. I hope that they price the new Fortuner sensibly now and add the much needed features. Although I also suspect that the Innova top end model must also be eating into the Fortuner's sales to an extent.
Toyota will now be in two minds. To stop losing customers to Endeavour, they must price the car sensibly. On the other hand, they will have to be mindful of where Crysta ends. Gonna be interesting!
rkris is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread