Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd August 2008, 22:40   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying that any car will get damaged by our Indian Roads? Does this mean that only SUVs & Jeeps can survive without damage?
Did I say that any SUV / jeep will not get damaged?

Given the experience you had with a palia, and the extensive damage you suffered, I do think that you are driving on real bad roads, and machines being what they are, do not expect the perfect, maintenance free thingie. Unless you go in for one of those luxury 4X4s. In which case, you still may end up with high bills, but at longer intervals.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:42   #92
Senior - BHPian

The Indica/Indigo, range is one of the strongest yet , I have experience, Have used mine for 200,000 km and I have to change the dampers now, it has had small bush replacement and stuff, but even after so much running most of the parts are original and no rattles Very strong car.
And as GTO said the merc W124, my friend has one it's done same millage as my indica and still no rattles and most of the part are original and he uses it to go to his fields.
And the M&M range is the best MUV/SUV on the roads.

Last edited by dinar : 23rd August 2008 at 22:46.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:29   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

yeah, on wednesday I took a ride in 2.8L km done Indica - just under 4 years. That's the biggest number I've seen in a vehicle personally. And except a couple of door latch plastics coming loose with typical taxi maintenance. but zero rattles. and yes, smelly seats. but still quite decent.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 00:54   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Ambassador may be sturdy and simplistic in build, but it will break down more often. I wouldn't count it in the list of cars that can really withstand abuse. My list of cars that can really take the worst of Indian roads:

1. Tata Indica / Indigo

2. Mahindra Logan

3. Mercedes W124 : Surprised? You will be amazed at the amount of trashing that the 124 can take. Have a look at her solid components when you have a chance.

I know you want to skip the UVs but I'll list them anyways : Mahindra Bolero & Maruti Gypsy. They can pretty much take the worst of terrain and emerge unscathed.

Rather than the Palio being fragile, this situation is more a component of what you have been used to (read : Only Jeeps).

I agree that the Ambassador suffers from being to unreliable despite having sturdy sheetmetal, and a live rear axle with leaf springs.

Up to now, I have been totally dismissive regarding Tata products. Perhaps I should take a closer look at the Indica/Indigo. Just not very impressed with the overall level of refinement.

I have a W124 in California and you don't have to convince me regarding its durability. My 400E currently has 190,000 miles or 3+ lac km and runs perfect. And it will rocket from 0 to 100 kph in just over 7 seconds. Come to think of it, I do not remember any major suspension repairs ever. I have changed one set of shocks, and a couple of suspension bushings. It is incredibly smooth over rough roads (when you can find them in California).

In my opinion the W124 is one of the best built Mercedes ever. In fact, I visited the manufacturing floor of the Mercedes plant in Pune when they were assembling the W124, and had a chance to speak to one of the German engineers. He told me that the cars they built in India were actually better quality than the ones built in Germany due to the low volumes and greater attention each vehicle received on the assembly floor.

I actually looked for a W124 here in Delhi, but could not find one. Also, I had heard of horror stories about the price of spares. Not sure how true these are, but it did scare me a bit. The other problem area with the W124 is the air conditioning system not being very effective. Not sure if this was addressed for the Indian built cars.

You are correct in pointing out that the Palio is not necessarily a fragile car. It is just that the roads in India are incredibly harsh on a car and just better suited to a Jeep. Furthermore, the problem with the Palio is that large suspension components have to be completely replaced when a small part like a ball joint wears out. This may be o.k. for countries where the roads are not quite as bad as India and multiple joints get worn along with the ball joint over time. The problem here is that one large pothole can trash a ball joint instantly, which should be a Rs. 100 replacement rather than a Rs. 2500 suspension arm. This is a design deficiency in the Palio relative to the Indian market.

Then there is rear torsion axle. It is a relatively robust setup which is also the design of the Logan. The problem is that axle flange tube thickness is low and tends to bend under severe load. I plan to get the current axle straightened and then reinforced to prevent a repeat of the current damage. Will post pics when this gets done next week.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 01:05   #95
BHPian

i met a guy today who disposed off his swift petrol just after six months cause he got fed up of bad rattling noises from the boot door and dashboard!
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 01:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

yours truely the one the only THE AMBASSADOR, the toughest & most durable automobile in India.
reasons- ask Mr Atal Bihari Vajpayee or a taxiwala.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 02:08   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post

Furthermore, the problem with the Palio is that large suspension components have to be completely replaced when a small part like a ball joint wears out. This may be o.k. for countries where the roads are not quite as bad as India and multiple joints get worn along with the ball joint over time. The problem here is that one large pothole can trash a ball joint instantly, which should be a Rs. 100 replacement rather than a Rs. 2500 suspension arm. This is a design deficiency in the Palio relative to the Indian market.
Same with Honda.
The polueurathane bushings worn out...replace the entire suspension!Reason - the bushings are press fit. Replacing them in the workshop will not be as good as factory!!!

What say? Is this really true?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 07:40   #98
Senior - BHPian

some indian cars that may go on and on and on are the humble maruti 800, the amby and the mahindra jeep type vehicles - over the last so many years, these have proven themselves to have timeless appeal, reliability, service network and plain conformance to the budgetary and usage needs of many indians.
IMHO these will never say die.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 14:51   #99
BHPian

the Octavia is a tank of a car.
Any German/ Jap car would go on and on.....the older the model, the better i.e. 1980s and 90s
ameya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 21:58   #100
BHPian

i have my personal opinion..

Mitsubishi lancer...then i have tried Toyota 1N diesel with M1000. i vote for toyota, honda....

Japanese cars are best in this segment..

My lancer has clocked 406000 kms , with just an rings replacement and minor overhaul on engine at Mitsu dealership....still engine going stronger

Ps: I love lancer for strong and sturdy engine...but there are some screeches and rattling noise ....but engine reliability is good

Last edited by rajivanoj : 24th August 2008 at 22:03.
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 22:31   #101
BHPian

Another personal opinion..

Opel Astra. I have had one since the past 10 years and it's still going strong.
Im selling it now but only because ive bought another car now.

It's clocked over 1 lakh kms and gone to places like the heart of Rajasthan and driven on Mumbai's potholed roads. It still gives a rock solid feel at triple digit speeds and is also built like a tank just like the Octavia.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 12:30   #102
evo
BHPian

@rajivanoj.

406000 kms Whoa! Thats a very very large number!
evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 12:57   #103
BHPian

My vote for the old zen. It is really good machine.
Seconld openion : Corolla
biju_kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 16:22   #104
BHPian

My vote will surely go with the INDICA and the INDIGO.

First Aspect: I have owned both and have never let me down even after crossing 75k.

Second Aspect: 1000's of INDICA are used by TAXI operates and believe me these cars are ACTUALLY TAKEN TO THE WASHERS yet they keep on going.

ps: i don't have to explain how these TAXI DRIVERS drive these cars on these messed up pothole filled road.
rajchetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2008, 16:48   #105
evo
BHPian

I`m hardly qualified to quote considering that the car with the max mileage I ever had was 85000 KM.

I`m sure there would be many more cars that would be infinitely more reliable, but this is the only one that I can comment on.

So it would have to be that- The Accent. A nice black 2000 GLS. Shillong, Guwahati, Guwahati-Kolkata-Mumbai-Goa-Pune-Mumbai-Kolkata-Guwahati. During this whole trip, it had one puncture.

Now sold to an uncle, where it`s still running great.
evo is offline   Reply With Quote