Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th August 2016, 02:15   #16
Default Re: Interesting Report on the 'Used Car Market' by Mahindra First Choice

I was in search of a used car in NA for last few months . 2 things I like most here are kbb.com and carfax . We need something similar in India that can consolidate the RTO details , Insurance claims and service history on a single platform based on VIN number . This will help anyone who is looking for a good used car .
cijo is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016, 08:00   #17
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Re: Interesting Report on the 'Used Car Market' by Mahindra First Choice

Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Pre-owned is definitely not for everyone. For the layman who doesn't know much about cars, new is preferred (MUCH safer). To people like us, pre-owned cars rock as we're able to get superb deals on excellent cars. I'm currently on my 5th pre-worshipped car..............
Well said! In fact there seem to be (I've met one in Lucknow) a service provider network to help prospective customers in vetting the target car(s) that they intend buying from a dealer. They have a large data-base (with just the regn. number of a car) which they claim has a detailed history of every car offered by the organized sector, from "birth, service history, hospital visits after mishaps, brushes with the law, etc" (his own words!). The fees for this service is quite nominal & all parties seem satisfied with minimal complaints.

Last edited by shashanka : 27th August 2016 at 08:05.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 00:36   #18

Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
... and even the organized ones like FirstChoice et all are seen using the same unscrupulous means as others many a times.
Thank you for being so candid. I have had a difficult experience with First Choice myself. They have a branch just next to my office in Noida, so it is difficult not to hop in some time or the other. However, whenever I have asked them to keep me updated if a good SUV comes the way, they have somehow managed to tell me that any good SUVs are reserved for their choice customers.

This I have experienced across dealers in the NCR. They already have strong clientele (people with high disposable cash I would assume) whom they would like to deliver the good cars from time to time. For the walk in customers like us they would like to peddle the not so good stuff.

Then there is their pricing. I have seen in the UK that used cars are priced by dealers at high prices, but in the end it is generally a win win deal. In India, whether it is to do with availability, or with more disposable cash in the market, the bigger the dealer is, the higher the margins they crave for and actually end up getting. The biggest dealer in Noida I am aware keeps crazy margins, and still manages to sell quite a few each month.

Overall it is very difficult to find a decent bargain with a dealer. It takes a lot of effort and knowing your cars/market to be able to buy a used car from them which you will not regret once the initial euphoria dies down.

I remember my first used car was a 1990 model pristine condition Fiat (Premier Padmini) with original tyres and service record bought from a Wing Commander in Delhi in 1999 for my dad. It took me 6 months to zero down on the car in a hunt which took me across Delhi NCR. In those days we either had the dealers or yellow pages adverts to hunt down prospective sellers. The car served us very well without a single hiccup before a crazy guy like me bought it from me in 2002.

I also remember the years around 1999 when a used Maruti 800 (4 gears, non A/C) 1-2 years old would be sold by dealers for 1.60-1.70 lacs. I could never understand how they could sell so many such cars when a new one costed 1.80 lacs ex-showroom and less than 2 lacs on road- those were days of fixed very reasonable RTO charges.

I have been on the verge of booking a new Crysta 2.8 for the past some days-just that I am still undecided. For whatever it was, I asked a couple of large dealers in Noida I have known for sometime to send me offers for the older version of Innova- and I even got an offer of an excellent 2014 V model @ 14.75!

Hats off to GTO- I have read his several posts on pre-worshipped cars including the last one he bought (BMW). It takes a great amount of effort and patience to be able to find one which you will not regret a few months down the line. For us mundane folks who really do not know our cars, we are put off by the effort required, the high probability of getting cheated, and the fact that the not so old cars which we like, are priced insanely close to a new car itself- all of which factors propel us towards a new car.

Otherwise I too would any day settle for a pre-worshipped car- I am sure for 25 big ones which the Innova Crysta top model commands, I should be able to find something which is a couple of notches above in class.
rajivrt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 13:28   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Some infographics shared by ET Auto:

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  42.6 KB

Interesting Report on the 'Used Car Market' by Mahindra First Choice-1.jpg

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  34.4 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  20.3 KB

Four factors are fuelling the growth in used cars. Ownership cycles are shortening from 6-7 years five years back, it today hovers around four years and is likely to dip further to 3.5 years by 2021. Two, car quality in India is improving, boosting reliability even when driven over longer periods. Three, the emergence of organised players is bringing in credibility and consumer confidence. And, finally, there is a growing societal acceptance of people buying used cars.

Contribution of the organised sector in the used car business stood at 8% in 2011. Today it hovers around 12% (4,00,000 units) and by 2021 it is expected to touch 18% of the total or 1.2 million units. Today, only 15% of pre-owned cars are being financed, unlike new cars, around 70% of which are purchased via loans.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote