Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would You Cross-shop Across Various Segments Before Putting Money Down?
No. I would pick a segment first, and buy a car from that segment. 61 20.75%
Yes. I don't mind a car from any segment as long as it pulls my heart strings. 225 76.53%
Don't know/ Can't Say for sure. 8 2.72%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th August 2016, 21:37   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Did you cross-shop across segments while buying your car?

When it was time to change my Accent in 2005, I had a look at the Swift, Tata Indigo, Honda City, Chevy Optra and finally bought a Hyundai Elantra GLS!
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2016, 22:41   #47
BHPian

I think we intially start with a rational choice of chossing a budget, segment, etc. but upon visting the dealership fall prey to the upselling tactics of the sales staff.
And that's what these guys are trained for.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 00:07   #48
BHPian

Before our recent acquisition of the creta we went through - Corolla, duster, Innova, brezza, ciaz, BRV,superb and city. That has to count as agnostic cross shopping.
vineshpikale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 00:13   #49

Hi Smart Cat.You have asked a good question.Because now have a large number of options available for the same budget I would first set my budget and then explore all the options available.Then I would make a list of abilities which I want from a car and would go in with the best available option.
harmanjeet14 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 00:13   #50
BHPian

Interesting thread.

My most recent purchase was the XUV500. I was replacing the ageing Ikon which was technically the family car with a big boot and other car was a Figo which was more of a city car being used for highways given Ikon was getting old. I was in the market for a C segment sedan but none of the offerings really triggered any passion. Ciaz was good but very avg engine options. Honda city was ok in petrol form but the dealership attitude just pissed me off + the on road prices of 12-14L range in Bangalore just didnt seem to justify what I was getting. Then comes in XUV500. Did compromise a bit on interiors but then everything else was just what i wanted and not to forget the engine which still brings a smile every morning with its torque .
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 00:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
After months of flip flops, my uncle finally booked a car. Now these are the cars he checked out -

Suzuki Ertiga
Suzuki Ciaz
Renault Lodgy
Renault Duster 110 PS
Renault Duster 84 PS
Honda BR-V
Honda Mobilio
Honda Jazz
Nissan Terrano
Nissan Sunny
Toyota Etios Sedan
Toyota Etios Liva Cross

Nissan Sunny and Toyota Etios made it to the final short-list, and he eventually picked up, well a Renault Duster 84 PS

If you have booked a car recently, did you first pick a segment (Premium hatchback, Compact Sedan etc) first and then bought a car in that segment? Or did you first setup a budget (say Rs. 10 Lacs) and then test drove all types of vehicles across segments, before picking one?

If you haven't booked a car recently (but might do so in the future), would you take the "top-down" approach (choosing a segment first, picking a car from that segment) or a "bottom-up" approach (choosing a budget first, picking a car from any segment).

I'm really curious to know how relevant these "comparison tests" and "shootouts" (that car magazines put up regularly) are in the real world.
When we were looking to replace the our Beloved Manza, we checked the below cars in the sequence

Scross*
Vento*
Jetta*
Innova
Corolla*
City
Mobilio
Jazz
Elantra
Verna
Octavia
Duster
Fluence*
XUV500
Ciaz SHVS*
Scross* (again)
Baleno

* are the cars those "pulled the strings" and had second round of TDs
finally closed down on Ciaz-the most VFM vehicle- total process took around 8 months to close down
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 01:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If you have booked a car recently, did you first pick a segment (Premium hatchback, Compact Sedan etc) first and then bought a car in that segment? Or did you first setup a budget (say Rs. 10 Lacs) and then test drove all types of vehicles across segments, before picking one?
I first chose in the below order:
1) Automatic transmission
2) Safety features (minimum of 2 Air bags & ABS)
3) Budget (less than 5-8 lakhs)
4) Build quality
5) Power and looks

Checked various options from Celerio, i10, stingray, alto, figo
Even expanded by budget to 10-12 L and looked into zest, Dzire, figo aspire, baleno, ciaz, brezza

Dropped the idea of automatic and finally bought Ford Ecosport Tit+ TDCI top end with 6 airbags

I think for me, it was just what I liked within my reach / affordability.

PS: didn't like the drive / power delivery in Ecosport automatic.
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 09:03   #53
BHPian

I did not start with a segment mindset, I was horsepower specific. 100+ HP and two airbags. This was in late 2013.

In the beginning it was a dilemma between the Polo TSI and the Ecosport Ecoboost. Both had a waiting periods between 14 - 18 months and the VW SA made it clear that I have to book the car if I wanted to test drive the TSI and the test drive may happen after five months

And then there was GTO's 4th Generation Honda City review. The iVTEC sealed the deal for me.

I wouldn't call the Ecosport an SUV, so technically I cross-shopped in the hatchback segment before buying a sedan.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 09:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't blame the customer! The lines between different product segments are indeed getting blurred .
Absolutely! Sometimes the only lowest common denominator (not always) is price point. In a meaningful price range band, you can get everything from a hatch to a sedan to an entry cross over to a basic SUV and the strengths and weaknesses of these may overlap more and more. Throw in premium factor car vs relatively more modest finish (e.g. i20 vs Brezza); choice of fuel, choice of transmission and the options get complicated. Should I buy a top of line i20 A/T or a mid level Brezza diesel MT.

Although they are very different products (and my choices were across a broad price range), at the time I was coming around to my GT purchase, the broadest possible contenders included (in some cases to wait for expected launch):

All new Innova
Fortuner A/T
New Endeavour A/T
Camry Hybrid
New Superb
Octavia
X3
GT
3 series / C class

Similarly, when I bought the Nissan Sunny in 2012, I seriously considered the Renault Duster as well. Other than the somewhat quirky and annoying variant issues with the Duster, the only reason I didn't buy the Duster at the time was that I simply didn't want to plonk the extra couple of lakhs that it required.

Interestingly, this also held true when I bought my first car - the Swift, back in 2005. The choice was between the ageing Esteem (boot = prestige) and the newly launched Swift hatch. As a 28 year old bachelor, the Swift was an easy decision. In flaming orange, no less.

My 2009 Civic though was a limited 3 way call between the Laura, Corolla and Civic A/Ts. I was clear - I wanted a mid size high performance sedan with a wow factor to replace the Swift.

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th August 2016 at 10:07.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 10:05   #55
BHPian

My Verna was stolen in the month of March this year. Out of no where comes a sudden requirement / need for car - rather unplanned I would say.

The experience with Insurance company was quite pleasant and the settlement was carried out with just deduction of INR 1000 from the IDV.

For me C2 sedan was thus the primary selection, yet with a small family, we were open to look at products around C2 segment and it so happen that the scrutiny started from the engine power and ended there only.

The Verna that I lost was 1.5 Diesel (110 bhp)

We did look at following:

- Verna 1.6 Petrol - Lack of punch in motor
- Ford Aspire 1.5 Petrol Automatic - Poor body shell
- Ford Ecosport 1.5 Diesel Titanium - Concerns about diesel vehicles in Delhi
- Honda BRV - Poor response from dealer
- MSIL Ciaz ZDi+ SHVS - Feature rich, rather best in terms of features, dead steering and poor body shell

Then came SC decision on permission for registration of large diesel mills in NCR, and things were back on track because when large cars are permitted, it was safe to buy a small diesel mill. We picked up Ecosport Diesel Titanium.

The decision making points

- The power at disposal was quite close to Verna that I had, among the lot, I was most comfortable with BRV and Ecosport, typically felt comfortable in the test drive itself
- The overall build quality was better compared to all other cars that we considered
- There were some discounts (just to make it sweeter)
- Good feature list
- Immediate delivery and fresh car, it was in transit from Chennai when we made the payment (the car was built on 8 August and registered on 23 August - oven fresh). The odo reading was 16 km at the time of delivery.
- and last "Oonchi is nai lambi" - good value preposition

I have practically done cross shopping among Cross Overs, C2 and C1 segments.

Will now change the signature file and add this new member in the family !

Last edited by i74js : 30th August 2016 at 10:10.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 10:36   #56
BHPian

For me the priorities when buying a vehicle are comfort, good ergonomics, decent power and within my budget. If these are available across segments then so be it.

Last year when I was wanting to replace my car I test drove hatchbacks, sedans, cross-overs and SUVs. And finally bought the one which fit all my above requirements.

When someone asks me for advice on which car to buy, I tell them ask them to test drive a wide range of vehicles. It helps to freeze what you really want.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 10:42   #57

I first note down my requirements. Let me assume that I am purchasing new vehicle, these would be my requirements
1) 4WD (As I already have one hatchback in garage I love to own one 4WD)
2) Airbags
3) ABS
4) Fuel (I prefer diesel engine)
5) Ground clearance
6) Seating capacity (5 is enough for me)
7) This list may go on increasing with respective to their personal choice.

Then I check my budget, for example: if I am ready to invest around 16 Lakhs then the shortlisted vehicles will be
1) XUV500 W8 AWD (Assuming it costs 18 Lakhs on road)
2) Duster RXZ AWD (Assuming it costs 15 Lakhs on road)
3) Thar CRDe (My all time favourite) (Assuming it costs 10 Lakhs on road)

I know Thar is no where near to the above two vehicles with respect to the comfort and safety features and does not qualify my safety requirements as well, but I like Thar the way it is.
I will crosscheck the ownership reviews of the shortlisted vehicles and lookout for
1) Maintenance charges
2) Spares availability in the market
3) Authorized service centers availability across India.
4) Common issues in that vehicle.

If my budget is strict below 16 Lakhs then I will go with Duster RXZ AWD
If I can increase my budget then I will go with XUV500
If I am tight on budget or I am fixed my mind with Thar (as this post is biased with respect to Thar). I will and I am for sure own Thar.
sikkyonwheels is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 10:59   #58

Interesting thread.

I believe deciding on a budget does help but only to an extent. It can not prevent you from cross shopping as now, in a given price bracket, you literally has the options ranging from an entry level hatch/premium hatch to a mid-size sedan or a compact- SUV. Below are some observations on the key parameters (in no particular order) that we take into account before finalizing and choosing that one car from cross segments:-

1. Budget: As mentioned above, an entire range of body shapes at your disposal in the given price bracket. (E.g.- For a price bracket of 10-12 Lacs, you can start with premium hatches like the i20, Baleno; sub-4m sedans like Aspire etc., mid-size sedan like City, CSUV like Ecosport, Brezza or Creta or full size SUV's too).

2. Features: Top end models in nearly all segments offers class-leading features now a days, with difference being limited to some very key safety or creature comforts.

3. Mileage: With fuel efficient motors, i think we can get some real good options in all segments.

4. Utility: Now this is where we can come the closest in defining our choice. A small hatch for city use, a sedan or CSUV for space and comfort, a true SUV for any off-roading.

The case thus becomes really confusing, as is said, "There is nor one perfect car".
CarMind is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 12:05   #59
BHPian

I have always been in dilemma when choosing a car and then over several months of deliberations finally pick a car based on its engine and gearbox as first prioroty, driving comfort and features list, reviews , shootouts, friendly advices and test drives. Of course, budget always gets stretched beyond the initial amount in mind.
shatrughna is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2016, 12:33   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Watch out. Do not let the 'boss' near a Hyundai. They have the best creature comforts at the cost of the rest of the features. This is across all segments.

Else, you risk a Veto on whatever you wish to get?
sgiitk is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote