Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would You Cross-shop Across Various Segments Before Putting Money Down?
No. I would pick a segment first, and buy a car from that segment. 61 20.75%
Yes. I don't mind a car from any segment as long as it pulls my heart strings. 225 76.53%
Don't know/ Can't Say for sure. 8 2.72%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st September 2016, 14:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Did you cross-shop across segments while buying your car?

I have a mixed response. Though i don't mind shopping cross segment, but as long as the cars are in same budget.

Here are the list of cars i shortlisted before ending up with "Ertiga"
1. Honda Amaze - Sub 4m Sedan
2. Toyota Etios - Sedan
3. Ertiga - MUV
4. i20/Swift - Hatch
5. EcoSport - SUV
rajshenoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 20:29   #92
BHPian

I'm at this moment trying to decide between the TUV300T8 100bhp, the Scorpio S4, the Duster 85, the Ecosport, the S-cross and the Brezza.
I started with a max budget of ex showroom 10 lakh and it's getting a bit out of hand.
I need something that can handle the really rough stuff and loads. Preferrably a body on chasis. Would have loved the Isuzu V cross, but out of my budget..
Just calculating the fact that with an addition of 1.4 lakh on the top of the range TUV manual, u could get the S4 Scorpio. I was searching for opinions , pros and cons of both vehicles on our site as well as online.
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 22:11   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Looking at the poll results so far, does this mean all those shootouts that we see in magazines-

Polo Vs i20 Vs Baleno Vs Jazz
Ecosport Vs Brezza Vs TUV300
Superb Vs Camry Vs Accord Vs Sonata

- are of no use in helping one choose a car?
The reviews does help in rejecting the other cars while deciding the final contenders.

Cross-shopping happens mainly because of the price. I love VW Polo (my previous car was a Polo P HL) and I'm planning to get a TDI HL now which costs about 9.91L OTR chennai. For about 10.5L, Ciaz VDi+ is available. There starts the confusion. Should I settle for a hatchback that costs 10L or add 50K more and go for a sedan.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 23:22   #94
BHPian

Never really gave it much thought till this thread pointed it out. But a few years ago - when I wanted to buy a nice hatch - I was keen on first generation Jazz, the i20 and the Fabia - I ended up with the Linea. Earlier this year, I bought the Elite i20 after considering Xcent, Amaze, Aspire and canceling the Baleno. Right now I am considering the S-Cross, Creta and the Baleno - I wonder what I will end up with.

Of course most people replying here probably have a ballpark figure in mind - but going a few lakhs above or below your pre-decided figure isn't a big deal in this age of 7 year bank loans at attractive rates. Wasn't there a guy on Team Bhp who went to book the Nano and ended up with a Safari? Talk about a segment leap.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 15:47   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudevarkey View Post
Sold off the Quanto directly to a buyer and almost finalized MS Vitara Brezza ZDI. The car was booked on 5th September 2016, hope I will get it delivered by December 1st week.
There was no sign of Brezza coming my way and the dealer was clueless. I started tinking about alternatives and suddenly S-Cross crossed my mind. I didn't like the looks, but I searched for whatever info available about S-Cross in Team-BHP and found 'only' positive reviews about the car.

Took a long test drive of the car and I was impressed. Did a test drive of Brezza once gain on the the same roads as the S-Cross test drive was done and then there was no confusion. Cancelled the booking of Brezza ZDI and booked S-Cross DDIS 200 Zeta white (had to stretch the budget further by 1 L). The car was delivered on 3rd November - two weeks after the booking was done. In my opinion the S-Cross is a much better option compared to Brezza considering the fact that both the cars have same heart which beats at the same rate under the hood.
dudevarkey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 16:28   #96
BHPian

I was in the market for a new car about 3 months ago. My criteria was:
1. Comfortable drive
2. Within budget ( but i over shot it was a different story)
3. Spacious

I had TDed Jazz,Elite i20, Aspire, Honda City, Ecosport and Renault Duster, and finally zeroed in on the Duster (with Aspire being a very close competitor).
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote