Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th September 2016, 17:04   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Fourth generation Honda City - 2 lakh sales up!

As an owner of a 4th gen City, I feel that the car does not deserve to sell even those 4000 odd units it is doing every month. Build is really light and flimsy and the car suffers from all kinds of rattles and obvious signs of wear in no time at all. Honestly, it is shocking to see a car age so quickly.

Honda went the Maruti way in the rat race for numbers. They compromised with the very values brand Honda stood for. What they forgot was that if I wanted to buy something 'like a Maruti', I'd simply buy a Maruti!

People have started to realize how badly put together and cost-cut these new Hondas are. It is showing in the numbers of the City and their other cars as well. They better pull up their socks 'cos they are killing their brand. Exactly like Tata did 6-7 years ago.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 8th September 2016 at 17:06.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 00:06   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Fourth generation Honda City - 2 lakh sales up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
As an owner of a 4th gen City, I feel that the car does not deserve to sell even those 4000 odd units it is doing every month. Build is really light and flimsy and the car suffers from all kinds of rattles and obvious signs of wear in no time at all. Honestly, it is shocking to see a car age so quickly.
Hi Shreyans,
Thanks for sharing your experience and sorry to hear about the rattles, it's annoying for sure. For the benefit of other forum members, can you provide more details on the car model? Essentially are you driving a diesel or petrol City? Also after how many kilometers did the car start rattling?

My close friend drives a petrol city and haven't heard about such rattling issues even after driving for close to 20k kilometers in UP where the roads aren't great. I would expect the diesel to have a higher tendency to rattle and squeak given the Aluminium engine's vibrations.
sid_deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2016, 01:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Hi Shreyans,
Thanks for sharing your experience and sorry to hear about the rattles, it's annoying for sure. For the benefit of other forum members, can you provide more details on the car model? Essentially are you driving a diesel or petrol City? Also after how many kilometers did the car start rattling?
It's a diesel and has done 56k km in two and a half years.
The car was fine for about 30000km or so. I was actually happy with my purchase during the initial 12-18 months. But after that, the decay has been a shockingly rapid. And make no mistake, this car has been maintained as per the service manual to the T, at Honda dealers only.

Its not just simple rattling which you can try and ignore. I've had 3 tire failures (stock Michelins. Upsize works fine). The engine guard falls off every now and then. I got so fed up, I removed it. The front bumper's fitment is so bad, it comes loose with a light kick. Or a nudge by another car or bike. My car's front bumper has been replaced a total of 6 times now under insurance, at multiple dealerships. It is the flimsiest piece of plastic I have ever seen. The seats are sagging and I get back pain and stiffness in neck and shoulders after only half an hour or so behind the wheel. Dealers are unable to fix the squeaking rear bench. Power windows stop working at times, and then somehow fix themselves on their own. As of the past three days, the car's AC has been misbehaving. Brake pads didn't last. Neither did the suspension. The engine is noisy and the gearbox is clunky.

Granted, it is efficient and has never broken down and left me stranded in the middle of the night. But this kind of un-premium ownership experience is just not acceptable from what is a 13L rupee car.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 9th September 2016 at 01:06.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote