Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th September 2016, 17:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid launched at Rs. 1.25 Crore

The Volvo XC90 T8 plugin hybrid has been launched in India at a price of Rs. 1.25 Crore (ex-showroom Delhi). This is Volvo's first hybrid vehicle launch in the Indian market. The XC90 T8 will only be available in the top-end Excellence trim.

The T8 Excellence plug-in hybrid is the range topping model of the XC90 SUV line-up. It is powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine that has been turbocharged and supercharged to develop 316 BHP. This gasoline engine powers the front wheels, while the rear wheels are supplied juice from an 85 BHP electric motor. Cumulatively, the hybrid powertrain develops 401 BHP and 640 Nm of torque. The company claimed 0-100 km/h sprint time is 5.6 seconds.

The Volvo XC90 hybrid can either use the electric motor or the gasoline engine; or both, depending on the driving conditions and requirements. For this, the SUV gets three driving modes: Pure, Power, and Hybrid. Volvo claims that the T8 has an all-electric range of 40 km. A small 25 BHP motor has been employed to fill any torque gaps, in order to smoothen out the drive mode transitions.

The Volvo XC90 T8 Excellence is offered as a four-seater. Thus, the second row consists of individual, electronically-adjustable reclining seats, which also feature massage and ventilation functions. Each rear passenger gets an individual retractable touchscreen, while the legroom on offer is larger than what is available in the lower-spec XC90. The entertainment system is connected to a 20-speaker setup from Bowers and Wilkins. Other features on the inside include ambient lighting, folding tables, a refrigerator, and heated/chilled cup holders. The XC90 T8 even gets an exclusive set of handmade crystal glasses from a Swedish glass design firm - Orrefors. This design firm is also responsible for fabricating the car's crystal gear shift knob.

The XC90 T8 has also become the first SUV in the country to offer Radar-based safety functions. These include adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, collision warning with full auto braking, blind spot detection, rear collision warning, and park pilot assist. All these functions are operated by sensing the car's surroundings through a 360-degree radar system and camera inputs.

The said price of Rs. 1.25 Crore includes two charging stations that will be installed by the manufacturer at any two locations of the customer's choice. These specially engineered stations can fully charge the XC90 in 2.5 hours.

Volvo will be importing the XC90 Excellence as a CBU model. It will be brought-in only on order. The Swedish automaker has claimed to have received over 50 bookings of the XC90 Excellence, while deliveries are expected to begin around the end of this year.

Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid launched at Rs. 1.25 Crore-unnamed.jpg

Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid launched at Rs. 1.25 Crore-1.jpg

Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid launched at Rs. 1.25 Crore-2.jpg

Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid launched at Rs. 1.25 Crore-3.jpg

Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid launched at Rs. 1.25 Crore-4.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 14th September 2016 at 18:03.
dZired is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 18:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid launched at Rs. 1.25 Crore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post

The XC90 T8 has also become the first SUV in the country to offer Radar-based safety functions. These include adaptive cruise control, lane departure warning, collision warning with full auto braking, blind spot detection, rear collision warning, and park pilot assist. All these functions are operated by sensing the car's surroundings through a 360-degree radar system and camera inputs.

The said price of Rs. 1.25 Crore includes two charging stations that will be installed by the manufacturer at any two locations of the customer's choice. These specially engineered stations can fully charge the XC90 in 2.5 hours.
That's two firsts, well done Volvo Although I think the pricing is high and this won't see a lot of numbers but I am glad car makers are taking bold initiatives in India not only to not only offer the latest technology but also help customers build infrastructure for it to seamlessly work.

I am curious to know how exactly this charging station will function and effectively the fitment is done by the dealers/ outsourced teams. I would have only expected someone like Tesla to take such bold steps, Volvo could have worked with a system which is used in the Camry that auto charges the batteries by various motions aided by the petrol engine and braking system etc.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 21:20   #3
BHPian

Is this Volvo's answer to the S-Class, BMW 7 and Audi 8. Its looks are mouth watering. I am going to take it for a test run end of the month. Will post my experience. So what if I can't afford it - would nevertheless love to acquire it. Damn it where is that locker key in which wifey's jewelry is kept.

The charging station is a very thoughtful idea. Wonder how well it copes with voltage fluctuations.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 14th September 2016 at 21:23.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2016, 23:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Volvo could have worked with a system which is used in the Camry that auto charges the batteries by various motions aided by the petrol engine and braking system etc.
I believe the battery packs are charged also during instances of regenerative braking and by the petrol engine itself during driving - as is the case with most plug in hybrids. This XC90 do have an integrated starter generator (ISG) too. The quoted pure electric range would be optimistic, but charging the batteries from a wall socket helps one to drive the vehicle everyday (if its normally a short commute) relying purely on the electrical power.

The 'charging stations' I presume would be basically special wall outlets that are capable of delivering larger charging current than what would be normally possible with the domestic 230V AC outlets, something like the high power wall connector in Tesla cars. Since we lack charging infrastructure in public locations (which are occasionally rated for a higher capacity than domestic wall sockets) the installation would come in handy.
avinash_clt is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 12:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

That's not a bad price, though it is a bit higher than I would have expected. But there are a large number of extra features, apart from the engine. The only thing which may turn people away will be the ride quality as compared to an S class or a 7 series, the XC90 being a bit stiffer. But it is definitely more practical. In fact only the Range Rover Autobiography offers twin rear seats as far as I know, and that is double the price (maybe more).
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote