Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 17:33   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,030
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
One can be accidentally locked out ...

To blame that featured for our fault is just plain ignorance. (I myself have been locked out with the key inside)

The proper way is to lock only with the keys , to hold the flap up and lock it is just misuse from our part of a feature that the companies have provided (Locked out of a car is safer than leaving the car unlocked)
Can't agree more. Please understand that I am not blaming the mechanism, but only trying to highlight the possibility of getting locked with keys inside. However, nowadays everything with 4 wheels and an engine has remote keys, so the problem doesn't arise anymore.
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 21:42   #62
BHPian
 
studentonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 33
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Can't agree more. Please understand that I am not blaming the mechanism, but only trying to highlight the possibility of getting locked with keys inside. However, nowadays everything with 4 wheels and an engine has remote keys, so the problem doesn't arise anymore.
I've been locked out of my Alto K10 at least once, 6 years ago. I had the habit of holding up the handle and shutting the car so I didnt have to lock the door with the key.
That all is nostalgia now. Today with keyless entry I just push the button on the door handle and I'm in, keys in my pocket the whole time. Car locks itself in 5 minutes so at times I dont even lock the car when I'm at school.
studentonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 00:27   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 160
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

A variation of the pull type handle was present in the car since the 50's if not earlier. Amby's had them and so did the Fiats. Incidentally, the Ambassador was one of the first cars in India to have the "modern" pull type handle, and knowing HM, this was perhaps an easier conversion than going flap type which was in vogue back then. The preference is purely personal. With some amount of snobbery thrown in.

Having said that, I like both the flap type and the "old" pull type. What better sign of poshness than a chrome door handle?

Last edited by fighterace : 29th September 2016 at 00:29.
fighterace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 07:52   #64
BHPian
 
Porschefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 312
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
I don't understand what the joke is. Care to elaborate?

As a matter of fact, the OP might have a point. Flap type handles sit flush with the body, and may aid aerodynamically (The OP was not making a blanket statement either; he invited discussion, not criticism!). I can remember atleast one car manufacturer (Tesla) publicizing the use of flush-fitting door handles aiding aerodynamics. And a simple google search throws up results in favour of this argument. There's even a patent filed by a popular car manufacturer in this regard.

Go figure!
And why do you think I'm being critical of Rohan? I'm no Ph.D. of Aerodynamics myself and never made any noise about being one.

I've seen flush fitting door handles on cars like Tesla, Aston Martin, McLaren and I completely agree with you that one of the purpose other than aesthetics is to aid aerodynamics but, could you kindly explain it to me how the door handles aid aerodynamics in the cars that you and I drive? How much do they affect the top speed of about 140kmph and fuel efficiency?
My understanding about Rohan's points was that he was referring to the everyday "mango" cars and not your once-in-a-blue-moon super/hyper car.

PS: There is a difference to a friendly banter and being critical. It only depends on how the person receiving it, takes it.

Last edited by Porschefire : 29th September 2016 at 08:00.
Porschefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:45   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore / MENA
Posts: 643
Thanked: 902 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post

could you kindly explain it to me how the door handles aid aerodynamics in the cars that you and I drive?
What do you say about the little "rivulets" on the rear view mirrors of cars like Accord and Corolla?

They claim it reduces wind noise. Does it?

Aerodynamics is an art, and thus there is no right or wrong, only degrees of like.

Cheers
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 10:59   #66
BHPian
 
Porschefire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 312
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
What do you say about the little "rivulets" on the rear view mirrors of cars like Accord and Corolla?

They claim it reduces wind noise. Does it?
I'm sorry, I thought we were discussing door handles!

Quote:
Aerodynamics is an art, and thus there is no right or wrong, only degrees of like.
I agree, hence my opinions.

I think I should put a disclaimer from my next post that 'I'm just voicing my counter opinions without ridiculing or criticizing anyone else's.'
Porschefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 11:41   #67
BHPian
 
srinath.s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 85
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
My understanding about Rohan's points was that he was referring to the everyday "mango" cars and not your once-in-a-blue-moon super/hyper car.
There is no mention of the class of cars under discussion in the OP's post. It seemed like a general discussion on door handles and hence my comment. Maybe he can confirm?

Apologies in advance if my understanding was incorrect.

And I had only mentioned flap types may aid aerodynamics, based on examples quoted. I wasn't making a blanket statement either.

I quit.

Mods, please delete my posts if you feel I'm getting into an unnecessary argument.
srinath.s is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 15:11   #68
BHPian
 
Vitalstatistiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bombay-->Delhi
Posts: 150
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

I prefer "pull type" for the simple reason that-

pretty much every handle in our lives is 'pull type' or its variant

Be it the door of your room, house, window, refrigerator, microwave.....That makes it that more intuitive. I can't think of too many (actually any) device which has a "flap type" handle.
Vitalstatistiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2016, 16:32   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
RajaTaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tenkasi, TN
Posts: 1,030
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Folks, this aerodynamic thing is getting too far, IMO. If Bugatti Veyron didn't care much about aerodynamic disturbance of door handle, I suggest let us leave it there and move on.
Attached Thumbnails
Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles-1475146771835.jpg  

RajaTaurus is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 03:50   #70
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 18
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

It is very clear from this discussion that there are enough takers for both the versions. Team-BHP could stop pointing out flap handles outright as a con in our official reviews. I am sure that at least some of us list it as a con just because we have been seeing it in that list for a long time. It should rather be tagged as a personal opinion of the reviewer. The relative pros and cons have next to zero value in the car's grading.
VinsWagen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 08:18   #71
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 3,536
Thanked: 5,393 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

I for one do not like flap type handle at all. They make the cars look old and comes across as a cost saving exercise. Unless it's a supercar/ sportscar where function takes priority over form.

Cars I would have loved to see pull type handles are the Punto/Linea and Duster. Everytime I see their side profile, the current handles look so odd. Really wished the parents companies had changed it during the facelifts like how the Palio went from flap type to pull type towards the end of its life cycle.

And I really love the chunky pull type handles on the Fiesta/ EcoSport. It feels strong and really nice to use.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 09:23   #72
BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 529
Thanked: 200 Times
Default

Although this is a valid thread considering the issue of pull type vs flap type is being pointed out in most reviews, I think there is something else the manufacturers know that we don't. Why else would all new age cars would come with pull type? I mean, since this discussion started I have been observing most cars on the road for this and only the "built for a cost" kind of cars sport the flap type. Most new Gen cars and premium cars have pull type as the obvious choice. There maybe few exceptions but the fact is that pull type seems to be the slightly more expensive one to make ( I'm assuming this since cars at a budget seem to avoid the pull type for a reason), so if it's better then it is better. If some of you like the flap type, that's ok, may be for some reason or convenience but you will have to move to the pull type at some point since most new cars sport them.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 11:19   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,140
Thanked: 1,181 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Five pages of comments and discussion on door handles. And yet, there is not one mention of the technical design constraints imposed on them.

Door handles have to be able to "handle" pretty extreme service conditions. From icy winters in Russia, to baking hot summers in the Middle East. From the hyper-arid Atacama desert to monsoon rains/floods in India. In all these conditions, the door handle should be operational. Add to that, the door handle should not allow dust and moisture to enter the door cavity. And then it should operate flawlessly from the factory to the 54,297th time after 15 years of abuse.

In the context of these constraints, which door handle design among the ones described in this post below do we think works best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asifgrkhan View Post
Good discussion. For those wanting to see the different door handles in use in the past and current, go through the article below by Torch. This talks about the two currently in discussion and also more (for lack of a better word) unique ones like the "Cheetah Claw" in the XUV to the hidden ones in the Corvette and Tesla.

Jalopnik.com The definitive classification guide to car door handles.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 11:48   #74
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore / MENA
Posts: 643
Thanked: 902 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Five pages of comments and discussion on door handles. And yet, there is not one mention of the technical design constraints imposed on them.

In the context of these constraints, which door handle design among the ones described in this post below do we think works best?
The pull type handle is superior to flip type because it is SAFER. Period.

Whether that fact is technical enough is debatable.

It is NOT a fad or trend because some cars have been using them since the 70s.

Old flip type have handled all the environmental conditions you mentioned easily for a long time now, and some continue to do so.

Whether one thinks that safer is better or not can be a personal opinion, but in mass production automobiles, it is a FACT.

Cheers.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 19:19   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 556
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Flap-type vs Pull-type door handles

Both handles are fine for me as such and I dont think you can really classify either as being more 'modern' or 'old fashioned' styling-wise just because of the time when they were introduced. Different people have different tastes. Now if there was a proper functional reason why the 'newer' pull type handles are better, I would like to know it. In terms of ergonomics, both are pretty much a similar motion like pulling a drawer towards you, with either a palm upwards or downwards grip which are both natural.
The difference is in how you disengage the lock, in one you lift upwards in a small arc, then pull outwards and in the other you just pull, but its not a normal pull, its a double motion where first you apply more force to disengage the lock and you only move the handle on its own hinge/spring mechanism and then again to open the door.
I guess thinking about it, flap types feel a bit more fluid for me atleast
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pull-type door handles for the Duster / Terrano vinair Modifications & Accessories 0 22nd February 2016 00:35
TATA Motors may pull out of Singur-Ratan Tata. Update: Pull out announced! nickatnite The Indian Car Scene 651 6th October 2008 14:44
For Sale: Door handles for Aveo nirmalts Shifting gears 0 1st August 2007 09:51
"Magic Touch" Door Handles! SumitB Modifications & Accessories 13 4th April 2007 06:00
Door Handles Being Painted Query ? wolfinstein Technical Stuff 11 26th February 2007 19:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks