Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th June 2017, 16:55   #391
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Visited the VW showroom. This is definitely a well built product. If I had the budget, I would consider it. Omission of reverse parking sensors in the comfort line is strange. Having not owned a VW before, the interior looked very refined. As far as looks and build quality is concerned, it is way ahead of Yeti, maybe mechanicals are same or better, I wouldn't know, but its a newer platform for sure. The dealer informed that the company is not giving deliveries before July 1st to pass on the benefit of GST to customers. After GST, comfort line is expected to be around 30.5L on road and high line around 34.5L on road after a discount of 2-2.5L.
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017, 22:55   #392
BHPian

Had a good long test drive of it, apart from the recliner rear seats there's just nothing exciting about this car and looks a oversized Cross Polo. Ride quality, NVH, Handling was a big let down.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 05:39   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Visited the VW showroom. This is definitely a well built product. If I had the budget, I would consider it. Omission of reverse parking sensors in the comfort line is strange. Having not owned a VW before, the interior looked very refined. As far as looks and build quality is concerned, it is way ahead of Yeti, maybe mechanicals are same or better, I wouldn't know, but its a newer platform for sure. The dealer informed that the company is not giving deliveries before July 1st to pass on the benefit of GST to customers. After GST, comfort line is expected to be around 30.5L on road and high line around 34.5L on road after a discount of 2-2.5L.

I believe reverse parking sensors are indeed included in Comfortline. Even front parking sensors are included as well as parktronic display which shows a virtual representation of distances of obstacles from the car. What is not included is the reverse camera with live display of the rear image on the system.
84.monsoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 06:26   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoskooll View Post
The Tiguan is a very tasteful recipe indeed. However, I was wondering if it is worth considering a used Q5 with a low mileage say under 20k Kms, for the same price of the Highline Tiguan on road which is roughy around the 40L mark. I am aware that the new Q5 is round the corner and is more tech feature packed, but the old one was a handsome car as well. I in fact even managed to find a few good used Q5's. Powered by the same 2.0 TDi with 174 horses. The Audi of course is a lot heavier and uses a different AWD system. Also, maintenance costs would be higher. But still. The old Q5 is a great product. The Design still manages to look fresh both interior/exterior. Just for the record, I am an Audi Aficionado, so I really swear by VW Group products. Currently have the Yeti Elegance. Very unlikely to consider a BMW or a Merc.

How old is that Yeti of yours?
Is it holding up well?

And yes, the Q5 is certainly a nice 'next step'.
I would also suggest you check out the Jeep Compass just for academic interest.
For me, if at all I change from the Yeti, thats the brand I would wish to experience.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 07:25   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
How old is that Yeti of yours?
Is it holding up well?

And yes, the Q5 is certainly a nice 'next step'.
I would also suggest you check out the Jeep Compass just for academic interest.
For me, if at all I change from the Yeti, thats the brand I would wish to experience.
The Tiguan would have been a natural choice for me to replace my Yeti but VW was overzealous with the pricing and it is at least 3 lacs over what I am willing to pay!

The Compass is now what I am banking on to replace my Yeti. With the Yeti sold now it is really difficult to find something to replace it. Right now my final contenders are the Compass, the Kodiaq (if priced below 32 ex showroom) or the Innova Crysta AT. The last one is the fallback option but more head decision than a heart one! I hope to see the Compass tomorrow in Delhi as the dealership is to get their car on display tomorrow here. Keeping my fingers crossed for the pricing. If they are able to launch the highest model within 25L ex showroom, I will go for it. I had seen the compass on road in Shanghai and did like the looks and road presence, now only need to see the interior, features and price!

I had also seen the Tiguan there and somehow did not find the design at all appealing as it looks exactly like every other VW car and lacks character.
The Tiguan is a very popular car in Shanghai and you see so many of them there.

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th June 2017 at 07:30.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 11:05   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I believe reverse parking sensors are indeed included in Comfortline. Even front parking sensors are included as well as parktronic display which shows a virtual representation of distances of obstacles from the car. What is not included is the reverse camera with live display of the rear image on the system.
Comfortline does not have Reverse parking camera. I assume that means no camera and no sensors as well. I dont think front parking sensors or camera is present even in the highline version. Can you check the India specification?
aviraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 12:23   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Comfortline does not have Reverse parking camera. I assume that means no camera and no sensors as well. I dont think front parking sensors or camera is present even in the highline version.
According to the brochure, front and rear park distance control is available on both Comfortline and Highline variants, whereas reverse parking camera is available on the Highline alone.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 19:30   #398
BHPian

Last weekend i saw handful of Tiguan's on Bangalore Hassan highway. Was is it a media drive? I spotted them on Saturday and Sunday. The car looked as big as Creta but appeared more upmarket. Nothing like a 40lac car though.
PrideRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 19:31   #399
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Last weekend i saw handful of Tiguan's on Bangalore Hassan highway. Was is it a media drive? I spotted them on Saturday and Sunday. The car looked as big as Creta but appeared more upmarket. Nothing like a 40lac car though.
Yup. Media drive was from Bangalore to Chikmagalur and back over the course of last week.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 19:37   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
According to the brochure, front and rear park distance control is available on both Comfortline and Highline variants, whereas reverse parking camera is available on the Highline alone.
Yes, thats absolutely right. The front/rear sensors are present in the ComfortLine. Only omission is reverse camera. I had clarified this with the sales guy during my test drive.
I have used a sedan with neither of them present for 10 years and never had a problem. For Tiguan, sensor would be more than sufficient as all around visibility is damn good. Reverse camera was a silly thing they could have added though.
sj_koova is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 10:31   #401
Senior - BHPian

PowerDrift Video Review :

Dr.Naren is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 11:41   #402
BHPian

^Haha, that's bloody brilliant. PowerDrift always made fun videos, but this was a lot smoother in its delivery, owning to the natural flow of language. Original and very cool.
ach1lles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 00:21   #403
BHPian

Okay, so I checked out the Tiguan today, and spent a good 10 minutes fiddling around with it. Colour me impressed. It looks better than in pictures, albeit a bit smaller than I would've liked, and the engine is too loud. Other than that, almost everything else impressed me, compared to the Tucson.

The interiors are black, which I prefer, the seats are more comfortable, softer, the cabin felt rich, clearly atleast half a segment above the Tucson, the pano roof is quite brilliant and everything around just felt A grade.

Little things like better tailgate motor, seat motor, electronic parking brake, the shutter for cup holders, and other smaller things just add to this feeling of plushness.

I didn't get to drive it, it was parked right in the middle of the show floor, and I don't think 140- bhp is justified for this car, but other than that, if this was available when I was purchasing the Tucson, it would've been a difficult choice.

The Tucson's engine is more refined, quite a bit actually, even at idle, it certainly feels more spacious, and has a better driving position, a more ergonomically sorted cabin, and I believe it to be a more sprightly car due to the engine. It certainly carries better after sales. It also looks much better even though the Tiguan isn't as bad in the flesh as it looks in the pictures.

If the Highline was available at the price of the Comfortline, the Tiguan would be my pick, provided I could change the tune of the engine in the aftermarket. A 6L difference is a bit much.

Last edited by ach1lles : 23rd June 2017 at 00:23.
ach1lles is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:11   #404
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
Thanks and Yes, I've booked the Highline spec - it has the 18" wheels with the so called self sealing tires....why are the 18" wheels bad for our roads? - do tell...
Off topic: The low side profile of the tyre gives a bone jarring ride at slow speeds, especially at the rear even with the comfort tyre pressure setting. Do PM me if you need further info.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:24   #405
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven646 View Post
Thanks and Yes, I've booked the Highline spec - it has the 18" wheels with the so called self sealing tires....why are the 18" wheels bad for our roads? - do tell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Off topic: The low side profile of the tyre gives a bone jarring ride at slow speeds, especially at the rear even with the comfort tyre pressure setting. Do PM me if you need further info.

18" tyres on Tiguan are 235 55 R18 spec. Total sidewall is 235 * 55% = 129.25 mm.

Which is more than X1 sDrive and xDrive which have sidewall of 123.75 mm and 112.5 mm; which is way lesser than Tiguan. So that would mean its ride would be even more jarring.

Vento on other hand is 185 60 R15 which is 111 mm. So its ride would be even worst.

Honda City with R16 tyres is even lower.

Point is there is no end to how sidewall is best. Its the driving dynamics and user preference which would make a difference.

VW Tiguan Highline shouldn't be bone jarring.
el lobo 6061 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote