Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2017, 13:53   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,315 Times
Default

Tiguan is only one-half size more than the Yeti, if that.
Here's one I saw last week in Sydney.
Its a nice vehicle if priced well. But if they try to pull the 'Premium' trick here then I, for one, am not up for it.


Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1493281341.855473.jpg
Views: 2983
Size:  364.4 KB
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 27th April 2017, 15:57   #92
BHPian
 
Hells Bells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 162
Thanked: 137 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
[*]DQ-500 Wet clutch 7 speed DSG
So does this mean no more horror stories of the 7 speed dry clutch DSGs?
Hells Bells is online now  
Old 27th April 2017, 17:06   #93
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 193
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
So does this mean no more horror stories of the 7 speed dry clutch DSGs?
Yes, the DQ500 is much more reliable. Am just surprised why would they offer a gearbox that can handle 600 Nm of max torque, with an engine that only produces 320 Nm. A bit disappointed with that. Having said that, there is the option of using a tuning box to boost the power by another 20% or so.
sunny310c is online now  
Old 27th April 2017, 18:22   #94
BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 844
Thanked: 962 Times
Default

Is the limited power of 143BHP and 350 nm torque for the Indian version due to diesel-gate. Knowing VW, they would have pumped the BHP to 180 and torque to around 400 nm?

Considering that this will be quite heavy, wonder how it will cope.
Arjun Reddy is online now  
Old 27th April 2017, 18:40   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Is the limited power of 143BHP and 350 nm torque for the Indian version due to diesel-gate. Knowing VW, they would have pumped the BHP to 180 and torque to around 400 nm?

Considering that this will be quite heavy, wonder how it will cope.

My Indian Yeti Elegance 4x4 makes 140BHP and 320NM torque.

The Same Yeti Elegance or 'Experience' as it is known in the UK makes 170 BHP and 320NM Torque.

The Tiguan abroad makes good performance figures 177 BHP and 360NM Torque.

Why would I buy the Indian Tiguan at a higher price than my Yeti when Im getting similar performance?

The only advantage Tiguan has from my perspective based on my comparos on trips abroad, in my 'lateral golf bag placement test'.

Abroad - in the UK/ EU and Aus/NZ the Yeti and Tiguan more or less compete in the same segment - its upto the customer preference as far as which brand he/ she prefers, thats all.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 27th April 2017, 22:54   #96
BHPian
 
Aaron:)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bombay
Posts: 197
Thanked: 263 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

IMO the Tiguan though smart looking, lacks the sheer road presence of its competition. The Tucson is really stylish, the upcoming CR-V has great presence and the Fortuner and Endeavour are in a different league.

For all its merits, I only see it succeed if its priced at a slight premium over the Tucson.
Aaron:) is offline  
Old 27th April 2017, 23:42   #97
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 596
Thanked: 144 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Can't think of anything else worth mentioning. Will update as I come to know more.
Thanks, it is an impressive list.

Launch data? I have delayed my decision on Tucson in anticipation of Tiguan or Compass.
sj_koova is online now  
Old 28th April 2017, 14:12   #98
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 193
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Thanks, it is an impressive list.

Launch data? I have delayed my decision on Tucson in anticipation of Tiguan or Compass.
Checked with my sales guy, no news on the launch date. And if you were not already confused about what to buy, the Kodiaq launch seems round the corner .
sunny310c is online now  
Old 28th April 2017, 17:17   #99
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 316
Thanked: 852 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Tiguan is only one-half size more than the Yeti, if that.
Here's one I saw last week in Sydney.
Attachment 1633794
The car in the picture is a Mk1 Tiguan and we are getting the Mk2, which is slightly more roomier in the cabin (longer, wider and extra headroom), in its 5-seater variant itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
Yes, the DQ500 is much more reliable. Am just surprised why would they offer a gearbox that can handle 600 Nm of max torque, with an engine that only produces 320 Nm. A bit disappointed with that. Having said that, there is the option of using a tuning box to boost the power by another 20% or so.
It is interesting that the Tiguan will be getting DQ500 while its cousins, the Seat Ateca and Skoda Kodiaq are getting (or likely to get) only the DQ381 (another 7-speed wet clutch DSG, however with a lower torque rating).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Same Yeti Elegance or 'Experience' as it is known in the UK makes 170 BHP and 320NM Torque.
170PS/350NM*. Trim levels aside (which are market specific), EU/UK had 4x4 variants of the Yeti 2.0TDI (EA189) in both 140 PS and 170 PS variants. In India, only the Passat offered the 170PS variant of EA189 2.0TDI engine.

Quote:
The Tiguan abroad makes good performance figures 177 BHP and 360NM Torque.
If you are referring to Tiguan Mk1, the max output in 2.0TDI variant indeed was 177PS/380Nm* (same EA189 engine as Yeti back then, different tune, but with a superior DQ500 DSG). In India, Audi Q3 2.0 TDI quattro also used identical powertrain.

Mk2 Tiguan, based on the MQB platform, uses EA288 series diesel engines (currently on offer in India with Octavia/Superb Mk3, A3, new A4), and has its 2.0TDI in power applications of 150/190/240PS globally.

Quote:
Why would I buy the Indian Tiguan at a higher price than my Yeti when Im getting similar performance?
Yeti is a great car indeed. However the upcoming Tiguan (Mk2) is a newer generation of vehicle (platform, chassis, engines, transmission, electronics included) compared to current variant of Yeti on sale. The first MQB based SUV from Skoda will be the Kodiaq (based on LWB variant of Tiguan). MQB based Skoda Yeti is yet to be unveiled. Also, in EU6 markets, Yeti now only has max 150PS variant for the 2.0TDI engine (down from 170PS earlier).

Quote:
Abroad - in the UK/ EU and Aus/NZ the Yeti and Tiguan more or less compete in the same segment - its upto the customer preference as far as which brand he/ she prefers, thats all.
I don't know about Aus/NZ, but at least in EU/UK, there is significant price difference between Yeti and Tiguan (Mk2) with comparable engine/gearbox combo. For example, while comparing 2.0TDI 150PS DSG 4x4 models: cheapest variant of Tiguan (Mk2) is roughly 5,000 more expensive than the cheapest variant of Yeti. Comparing between the most expensive trims (L&K for Skoda & R-line for VW) and with similar powertrain, the price difference increases to approx 8,000.
avinash_clt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 20:36   #100
BHPian
 
carfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Udupi
Posts: 556
Thanked: 177 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

A good friend of mine (who in turn, is a good friend of the manager of Volkswagen Mangalore) told me today that the launch/ media drive is slated for the 6th/ 7th of May. I am not sure how reliable the news is.

Apparently the route of the media drive is from Mangalore to Mysore.

According to him prices of the Highline variant will be approximately 33 lakh on road. This is all speculation as of now.
carfreak is offline  
Old 28th April 2017, 21:25   #101
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,827
Thanked: 9,451 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
A good friend of mine (who in turn, is a good friend of the manager of Volkswagen Mangalore) told me today that the launch/ media drive is slated for the 6th/ 7th of May. I am not sure how reliable the news is.

Apparently the route of the media drive is from Mangalore to Mysore.
.
He is correct! We will be there (not me!)
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 11:56   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 193
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Got a list of features from my guy but am not a 100% sure if this can be believed, simply because of the "heated front seats" feature .
Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-1.png

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-2.png

Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs-3.png

Last edited by Aditya : 4th May 2017 at 15:20. Reason: Adding watermarks
sunny310c is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 12:38   #103
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: India
Posts: 187
Thanked: 427 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

You can have a reverse parking camera on a VW car which costs close to 8 Lakhs but not on a 25+ Lakhs Car from same VW. for that you need to shell out few more Lakhs!

I know this is an industry norm these days but a disgusting one indeed. Not one company is ready to address this.

Common sense is definitely not Common!

Great Scoop by the way sunny310c. I guess your source is PPS Motors.

Last edited by RaghuVis : 4th May 2017 at 12:40.
RaghuVis is online now  
Old 4th May 2017, 13:27   #104
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 193
Thanked: 112 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
You can have a reverse parking camera on a VW car which costs close to 8 Lakhs but not on a 25+ Lakhs Car from same VW. for that you need to shell out few more Lakhs!
Didn't notice that. That is really poor form by VW.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Great Scoop by the way sunny310c. I guess your source is PPS Motors.
Would rather not say mate. Don't want to get anyone into trouble, although it might be too late already .
sunny310c is online now  
Old 4th May 2017, 14:08   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,581
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default re: Volkswagen imports the Tiguan. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 27 - 31 lakhs

The CL is fairly loaded - would miss out on three to four big items compared to the HL.

Namely: The Sunroof, 18" tyres (though wouldn't be as comfortable as the 17"), and reverse camera.
The rest of the features can be lived without, and barring the sunroof - everything else should be possible to obtain after market.

Hoping they launch it around the Tucson pricing if they are looking for volumes. Anything higher, and there will be tough competition - even across segments!
lamborghini is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda imports Africa Twin (CRF1000D) motorcycle. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 12.90 lakhs Senna4Ever Superbikes & Imports 50 9th August 2017 22:52
Mercedes imports GLC. EDIT: Launched at 50.70 lakhs Senna4Ever The Indian Car Scene 21 27th June 2016 11:35
Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Unveiled at Guangzhou Auto Show hanmust The International Automotive Scene 6 18th November 2013 18:00
Volkswagen Tiguan Spotted Sinner666 The Indian Car Scene 13 23rd January 2011 19:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks