Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th October 2016, 17:52   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Honda launches the 2016 Brio Facelift at Rs 4.69 lakhs

I currently own a VX MT purchased in 2014, I really do not see why i will buy this so called "facelift".

First up, the major (and probably only) issue that I face with Brio is it tall 2nd gear. In the city its a pain to get any acceleration in 3rd. I do not see that this has been addressed.

As a car it is fantastic to drive overall especially in the highway. Rear wiper would have been welcome, sadly missed. Though I dig the black interiors, there is not reason to buy this one. It looks ugly front on, old one was way more cleaner.

My advice, better buy a used one which will cost you 50% less!
prasanna.vps is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 19:08   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

The Brio AT reviewed by Motor Trend:

Name:  120897084.jpg
Views: 2646
Size:  47.0 KB

Quote:
Unlike the Amaze there is no diesel and also the petrol does not get the CVT option. Instead what you have is the same 1.2 litre, 4 cylinder, i-VTEC petrol engine that puts out 87 bhp and a peak torque figure of 109Nm with a 5-speed manual being standard and a 5-speed torque converter optional. Official efficiency figures are 18.5 kpl for the manual and 16.5 kpl for the automatic.

It has been ages since I last drove a Brio and driving it again reminds you of what a fun little machine this is. Make no mistake this is not an anaemic 1.2 motor which stays flat in terms of performance as this motor is hungry for revs. 87 horses and the fact that the Brio weighs next to nothing means that performance is brisk and it feels agile. Going beyond 3,000 rpm brings out the best of this engine and you need to keep it on the boil to have fun.

For everyday driving duties when you keep at low revs, you will need to downshift but the Brio does encourage you to use more revs. The clutch is light and the gearbox is precise with nice shift quality. However if you do not like shifting gears yourself, the automatic makes sense. The gearbox is reasonably responsive and driving it in traffic is smooth and relaxed with no lag. Up the speed and the gearbox is quick to ascertain your inputs and responds well. There are no paddle shifts instead you can put it on D1 or D2 where it will hold onto the gear. We would not be surprised if the automatic is popular as here it makes perfect sense.
Name:  121064334.jpg
Views: 2648
Size:  66.1 KB
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 22:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
It looks ugly front on, old one was way more cleaner.
Exactly! The facelift is looking ugly and the front of the car doesnt match the character. I would prefer the old version with was proportional.
eyesice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 12:47   #49

Got to say, I was expecting a lot from Honda. Mixed feelings for the newly launched Brio facelift. I might have been expecting too much too much from Honda but hey you do look for things when a middle class man who takes loan and buys a car tries to impress his friends and family there should be that oomph factor which would make the others drooling over it and not criticizing and nitpicking the most important features.

Below I have jotted down few points which I think would have been one step ahead, if included.

1. Basic Safety features: ABS and Airbags only in top vaiant (VX)?

Seriously Honda? Even the market leaders Maruti and Toyota has been trying to bring it as standard equipment throughout their range. Gone are the days where Indians considered saving few thousands of money over safety features.

Trivia
: One of my friend who is Sales Consultant with Honda says nearly 6 out of 10 people on an average, do ask about Airbags and ABS. Now that says it all.

2. Instrument console:

Is that only me or do others also feel that even the top end VX trim speedometer looks like Base model Honda City (Instrument console)? Really not feeling very good about it. At least the Amaze's instrument console would look great. Even with less features but a better speedo and tacho ring would suffice. This just looks plain jane. Even my 12years old Santro looks better.

Why do you always do this Honda?
City E and S variant have such plain console. Even after paying close to 9to 10 lakhs. This is what you get. So much of cost cutting measure, don't you think?

Brio:

Honda launches the 2016 Brio Facelift at Rs 4.69 lakhs-2016hondabriofaceliftinstrumentclusterimage.jpg

Amaze:

Honda launches the 2016 Brio Facelift at Rs 4.69 lakhs-hondaamazefacelift05.jpg

3.Mobilio RS's Drl with Projector head lamps:

These headlamps would have surely boosted the sales. I expected these at least in the VX variant. Yes the cost would have increased a bit but why would Honda choose not to use this despite having used it in their own products. I believe the headlamp housing is a straight fit from that of Mobilio. Experts, Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Honda launches the 2016 Brio Facelift at Rs 4.69 lakhs-hondamobilio05.jpg

4. Alloys:
Mobilio's RS wheels would really look refreshing on those wheel arches. No updates are been given to the alloy wheels.

Honda launches the 2016 Brio Facelift at Rs 4.69 lakhs-hondamobilio06.jpg

P.S:
Please do bear with me as I was following up on this update for quite a while and I am quite frustrated when manufactures do half hearted job of updating the models.
I am not against any of the updates given by Honda but still I feel that Honda could have done better with the long awaited facelift.

-Thanga
Thanga_RS is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 07:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Apparently, this is the first facelift to be delivered in Pune. Driven only for 80 odd KMs in total since yesterday, since she's not yet been registered. I will post better (and more pics) and my impressions for it after I spend some more time driving it.

Honda launches the 2016 Brio Facelift at Rs 4.69 lakhs-snap1.png
sajo is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 10:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

By any chance does the new Brio come with disc brakes at the rear?
sumeethaldankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 11:04   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
May I ask you why ?
This isn't a 400 BHP odd Sports Car to have Disc Brakes all around !

Front Discs & Rear Drums are sufficient for a car like Brio.
CarguyNish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 11:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
May I ask you why ?
This isn't a 400 BHP odd Sports Car to have Disc Brakes all around !

Front Discs & Rear Drums are sufficient for a car like Brio.
Buddy all wheel disc brakes configuration is much safer. You don't need to have a 400 BHP car to have a all wheel disc brakes. Even regular cars like the Civic/Corolla have it. Yes everything is sufficient till the need arises. Anyways lets not go off topic here.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 14:00   #54
BHPian

Quote:
In the hatches, I guess it is only the Punto Abarth that comes with all round discs. For rest all, it is the same configuration:
Front - Discs
Rear - Drum
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 14:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy all wheel disc brakes configuration is much safer. You don't need to have a 400 BHP car to have a all wheel disc brakes. Even regular cars like the Civic/Corolla have it. Yes everything is sufficient till the need arises. Anyways lets not go off topic here.
Bro you have mentioned D-segment cars that ought to come with discs because it's a point of parity for that class. From what I know, under 15 lacs only Fiat Linea T-JET, Abarth (Punto/Avventura/Urban Cross) and S-Cross 1.6 comes with it as they actually need it.

Last edited by Waspune : 12th October 2016 at 14:52.
Waspune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 15:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
What you won't:

• Missing equipment vis-a-vis old i20: Rear disc brakes, side & curtain airbags, sunroof, auto-wipers & DRLs
Here is quote from the official review of the new Hyundai I20. It seems the old I20 had rear disc brakes which is now deleted from the new version. If a I20 could have disc brakes at rear i don't see why a Brio cannnot.

Anyways it was just a question that i asked whether the Brio comes with disc brakes at the rear or not.

As for the necessity part for me i would prefer a car that comes with the best of brakes, ABS etc. Anyways as i had requested let's not take things off topic this thread.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 12th October 2016 at 15:34.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2016, 11:12   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

2016 Brio Reviews have been published by few of the major magazines-

Autocar

CarDekho
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 08:45   #58
BHPian

Hello All,
I have booked a Ralley Red VX MT Brio for my wife and delivery is slated for Sunday i.e 23 Oct.
We test drove pretty much all cars of the segment from Baleno to Grand i10 and Jazz to i-20.
Believe me, Brio makes a great proposition for itself with its engine and driveability factor. We already own 3rd generation City, so we are very satisfied with after sales and maintenance cost of Honda cars.
Will post snaps post delivery.
zoom_vroom is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 23:08   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

I drove my friend's pre-facelift Brio last week. Fell in love with the refinement of the engine even after 40K kms. He completed that in 4 years of his ownership.

The car is peppy and all together a fun little car. Below are the observations on which I'd want the owners to provide a feedback.

1. The brakes had strong bite; even pressing a bit slowed down the car like the brakes were slammed.

2. With the A/C on, the cooling fan was kicking in every 10 second - is it supposed to be like that? With the A/C off, we didn't have such frequent kicking in of the cooling fan though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
....This isn't a 400 BHP odd Sports Car to have Disc Brakes all around ! ...
S-Cross 1.3 MJD with just 90 bhp comes with all 4 wheel disc brakes. Having disc brakes will add confidence to the driver to make use of the capability of the engine in a better fashion. If you go through the Polo GT twin threads, you'll know how owners crave for an all disc set up for the 105 bhp on tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Bro you have mentioned D-segment cars that ought to come with discs because it's a point of parity for that class....
Not all products in that range come with all 4 disc brakes. Most of the manufacturers don't provide as a cost cutting measure. How'd you justify a 30L Fortuner with 170 bhp to have a rear drum set up?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
... From what I know, under 15 lacs only Fiat Linea T-JET, Abarth (Punto/Avventura/Urban Cross) and S-Cross 1.6 comes with it as they actually need it...
You can add Safari Storme to the list. And probably XUV W4 variant too (if it comes under 15L).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 1st November 2016 at 23:10.
swiftnfurious is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 23:26   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Not all products in that range come with all 4 disc brakes. Most of the manufacturers don't provide as a cost cutting measure. How'd you justify a 30L Fortuner with 170 bhp to have a rear drum set up?!

You can add Safari Storme to the list. And probably XUV W4 variant too (if it comes under 15L).
That's a nice point but I meant d-segment sedans like Corolla, Jetta, Octavia, Cruze and that they are no regular cars by any means. I missed the S-Cross 1.3 as I was under the impression that only the 1.6 variant comes with all discs.
Waspune is offline   Reply With Quote