Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th October 2006, 21:45   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont think the present baleno is that powerful , I'd prefer 1.6 Palio/Petra or a1.6 Fiesta .
Among others, the two main components to acceleration are power and weight. And the Baleno is L-I-G-H-T
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 06:57   #47
BANNED

The same goes for Honda City. The old and the new.
Even those are light.

From all the cars being sold in India now, the Baleno is a good deal for being a driver's car. And most probably when it'll be replaced with a new model, it wont remain so.

Like it or hate it, but that's the way the cars are becoming now.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 08:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Among others, the two main components to acceleration are power and weight. And the Baleno is L-I-G-H-T
I agree with you GTO , what I mean is in stock tune ...baleno doesnt exactly have any perfomance advantage over the rest and for the indian roads I think Palio 1.6 is much better suited for hard driving....Now if you are talking about tuned balenos, the whole scene gets different , thats what I have heard...being light really helps it kck some amazing figures..........

Last edited by maxbhp : 18th October 2006 at 08:40.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 10:01   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ
You got it spot-on GTO. There is some hope for the future of this segment though, with the Suzuki SX4 saloon due with an updated 1.6 petrol which promises to be a worthy baleno replacement. Another mention in the sub-9 lakh category could be the Skoda Fabia with a VW FSI-engine or even in RS guise, if priced right. Are the car makers reading this..?
I would be more eager to wait for the 125 bhp 1.6 engine in the Swift. It would be one real hoot to drive. Wouldnt mind a 6L tag for it.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 10:10   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
I would be more eager to wait for the 125 bhp 1.6 engine in the Swift. It would be one real hoot to drive. Wouldnt mind a 6L tag for it.
I agree with you here the Swift Sport with the 1.6 engine would be a cracker of a car (now only if they could give us a hydraulic power steering) and I would seriously not mind paying 6L for a rocket like that! Would make a lovely city car for me
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 10:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
I agree with you here the Swift Sport with the 1.6 engine would be a cracker of a car (now only if they could give us a hydraulic power steering)
Oh yes - a hydraulic PS please. Most electronic ones nowadays simply take the punch out of the handling and feel vaguely disconnected at times.

Kudos to Beemer for realising this and giving the new 3 series a non-electronic PS.
Old 18th October 2006, 12:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most electronic ones nowadays simply take the punch out of the handling and feel vaguely disconnected at times.
Is this disconnection felt at lower/moderate speeds or at higher speeds? I always felt that EPS better than a HPS while driving in city. At speeds like 100 kmph, I never felt any difference between a EPS and HPS. Please help me to understand
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 13:45   #53
BHPian

the lack of a hydraulic steering was one of the main reasons why i finally decided on the palio 1.6 and not the swift.i feel maruti should give a hydraulic steering for the swift as the chassis is brilliant but the steering a tad too light
at least for the swift sport....
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 14:01   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Is this disconnection felt at lower/moderate speeds or at higher speeds? I always felt that EPS better than a HPS while driving in city. At speeds like 100 kmph, I never felt any difference between a EPS and HPS. Please help me to understand
At higher speeds. At lower speeds, an EPS is much lighter, and makes steering into tight corners easier.

Am not an expert on this, but EPS feeds the steering's inputs into an electronic circuit which then decides how much the steer should be. In the process the feel of the road, or the turn could be lost, depending on how accurate the circuit controlling the EPS is.

A hydraulic one simply provides assistance to the drivers inputs to the wheel, and does not attempt to translate it.
Old 18th October 2006, 14:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not an expert on this, but EPS feeds the steering's inputs into an electronic circuit which then decides how much the steer should be. In the process the feel of the road, or the turn could be lost, depending on how accurate the circuit controlling the EPS is.

A hydraulic one simply provides assistance to the drivers inputs to the wheel, and does not attempt to translate it.
I'm not too technical either but I think that's a correct layman explanation. As for the EPS well the problem with them is that even the best ones remove the feel that you get in the HPS setup. As a result the steering feels vague & disconnected which for a enthusiastic driver is a big pain. Swift's steering thus does not have much feel and that mars the whole experience of driving a car with a nice engine & chassis.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 15:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

Ishan, technical or not, you are now DISTINGUISHED ....Congrats, well done and proud to know you .

Cheers...and look forward to liquid refreshments, post Diwali!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 17:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
I agree with you GTO , what I mean is in stock tune .............
I thought we were speaking stock figures here! If the Baleno were to be tuned and then put across the ones you mention; I think the fiats do not stand a chance for coming close...This is not my personal opinion,I agree the tuners agree with me on this !!
And regarding the Mondeo, what sort of price range are we looking at Pal
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 08:18   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight
I thought we were speaking stock figures here! If the Baleno were to be tuned and then put across the ones you mention; I think the fiats do not stand a chance for coming close...This is not my personal opinion,I agree the tuners agree with me on this !!
And regarding the Mondeo, what sort of price range are we looking at Pal
Dude no offense meant kay ! its very clear you are a Maruti Fan..And sir Antony,I myself have contemplated on your views about tuned baleno , I know its a beast have driven some of them myself...I mean in stock tune there is no definite perfomance edge for baleno nor its suspension settings nor its brakes nor its handling.....I feel palio is better composed(may not be around corners at high speed...blame the shorter wheel base...right ?). Honda City is a better alrounder ...I mean quick steering , nice high revving engine....If tuned balenos are what u feel the best ...I disagree a bit , I think Lancers will do a better job having better brakes...and awesome handling...... earlier balenos had better throttle response....

Mondeo is my fav car.....GTO had mentioned that real driver's car lie in the 13-16 bracket...I agree to GTO's opinions thats all I had meant....

Last edited by maxbhp : 19th October 2006 at 08:23.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 09:11   #59
BHPian

I own a OHC Vtec, quite good but very light.. for me more than anything its very lucky one!!

Before buying this car I have test driven other cars, and few out of them I consider the best drivers cars ... apart from the OHC vtec.. they are

Hyundai VIVA Petrol... my favourite in handling, loved it
Esteem .... speedster..., great car to enjoy if u dont like safety
Lancer Innvex - AT ... Drivers car is what i can say..
Palio 1.9 ..... cool car... when nicely tuned

For me anyday I would love Hyundai Viva ... and other plus point is the boot opens like a hatchback and lets u use the complete rear seating for any kind of luggage... I love the VIVA Red... Although i dont know about its long term ownership..
four_tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2006, 14:23   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
I feel palio is better composed(may not be around corners at high speed...blame the shorter wheel base...right ?)
If it's not better around high speed corners, how can you call it a better handling car?

Last edited by ported_head : 7th December 2006 at 13:50.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote