Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th October 2017, 10:15   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Revenue calculation of cars sold in India - How many $$$ each model brings to its maker

Thank you for doing this on a consistent basis. I love reading these statistics that show how much these guys are raking in. While we can talk a lot about sales positions etc. in the end, it's the money that matters for these manufacturers. Also, this could be an indication of how much they are willing to invest in future models or variants.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 10:19   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Revenue calculation of cars sold in India - How many $$$ each model brings to its maker

This is a tremendous effort JpCoolGuy, Amazing!
Humongous data that you have collected, analyzed and presented it lucidly.

Since this effort has now completed one year, may be some charts on revenue trends of manufacturers over the year would be interesting to study. Examples: Volume chart of different makers over the year, Revenue chart, Volume vs Revenue chart - the way different manufacturers have adjusted their strategies over the year and the effect on their revenues. Since you have so much of data, may be we can derive meaningful information from them.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2017, 14:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Since this effort has now completed one year, may be some charts on revenue trends of manufacturers over the year would be interesting to study. Examples: Volume chart of different makers over the year, Revenue chart, Volume vs Revenue chart - the way different manufacturers have adjusted their strategies over the year and the effect on their revenues. Since you have so much of data, may be we can derive meaningful information from them.
I would love to do that, but as you can see, I have not done this exercise for the first 6 months of this year. Bascially, I have sales volume for these missing 6 months, but I don't have the prices for the corresponding months - these Base Variant/Top Variant/Median/75th Percentile prices have to be taken at the start of the month in order to have some amount of accuracy.

Only thing I can do is to extrapolate the prices of Dec '16 to first 3 months of 2017 and extrapolate the prices of Jun '17 to the next 3 months of 2017, which would lead to more approximation.

I can continue this exercise for another 2 months and may be we can have the charts for 6 months atleast in Jan '18.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 22:46   #19
BHPian

Revenue Calculation data for last month sales - Oct '17.

Top 25 Cars based on Revenue (calculated based on 75th Percentile of the Avg. Ex-Showroom Price):

Revenue calculation of cars sold in India - How many $$$ each model brings to its maker-top-25-cars-revenue-oct-17.png

1. Dzire has cooled down to 20K levels, from the humongous 33K levels for past 2 months, but still kept the top position - the revenue was "just" 1339 crores.

2. Baleno has retained the second position, but Creta and Innova surpassed Brezza and pushed it to 5th position. But, mind you, all these are very closely placed and these numbers are just approximations, so it could be either Brezza, Creta or Innova in 3rd/4th/5th - take your pick.

3. Hyundai has Grand i10 and i20 at 6th and 7th positions respectively and Maruti Suzuki has filled the last 3 positions in the Top-10.

4. Maruti Suzuki has 6 cars in Top 10, Hyundai has 3 and Toyota has Innova. Maruti Suzuki also has Celerio just outside of Top-10.

5. In Top 25 positions, Maruti Suzuki has 10 cars, followed by Hyundai with 5 cars, M&M with 3 cars, Toyota and Honda with 2 each and Tata, Jeep and Renault sharing the remaining 3 positions with 1 each.

7. Bolero is the highest ranking car (at 13) for M&M, City (at 16) for Honda, Compass (at 17) for Jeep, Tiago (at 22) for Tata, Kwid (at 23) for Renault, Polo (at 33) for VW, Endeavor (at 41) for Ford, Rapid (at 43) for Skoda, Redi-Go (at 46) for Datsun, Micra (at 55) for Nissan and Punto (at 73) for Fiat.

7. Xcent (24 / 27), Eeco (17 / 29), KUV 100 (23 / 30) and Omni (14 / 34) from the Top-25 based on sales volume have moved out of the Top-25 chart based on sales revenue. They are replaced by Fortuner (35 / 12), Compass (33 / 17), Scorpio (26 / 18) and XUV500 (30 / 19) - note that the first value within brackets denotes the Volume rank and the second value denotes the corresponding Revenue rank.

8. Compared to the last month's (Sep '17) Top-25 revenue ranking, Ecosport (59 / 18), Ignis (31 / 24) and Eeco (29 / 25) have moved out and they are replaced by S-Cross (14 / 57), Celerio (11 / 29) and Eon (25 / 31) - note that the first value within brackets denotes Oct '17 Revenue rank and the second value denotes the Sep '17 Revenue rank.

Top 25 Cars based on Sales Volume (and their corresponding Revenue rank):

Revenue calculation of cars sold in India - How many $$$ each model brings to its maker-top-25-cars-volume-oct-17.png

OEM's Volume Market Share Vs Revenue Market Share:

Name:  OEM Market Share  Oct 17.png
Views: 386
Size:  26.1 KB

1. As always, Maruti Suzuki's revenue market share is approx. 8% lesser than their volume market share. As someone suggested, I have also taken the Ratio which is really a good metric to understand the Revenue Vs Volume figures. Maruti is gaining 0.84 revenue per car sold, whereas Toyota is exactly doubling the rate (ratio at 2.0).

2. Renault, Tata & Datsun are the manufacturers other than Maruti to see a fall in terms of Revenue Market Share compared to the Volume Market Share - as expected, due to their larger volume in small cars.

3. Renault-Nissan-Datsun alliance has bigger market share in terms of Volume (5.21%), but when it comes to Revenue they have only 3.36% (lesser by 1.85%, when compared to volume market share).

P.S.: Please note the revenues for the 3 Germans, JLR, Volvo, Porsche and other Luxury car makers are not included, who may have more revenue market share when compared to their minimal volume market share. For example, Mercedes Benz's revenue might be close to VW's revenue or may be more than that and this might have some impact in the actual revenue calculations. But, we do not have the individual numbers of the Luxury cars to do the calculation.

Full Chart for your perusal:
Revenue calculation of cars sold in India - How many $$$ each model brings to its maker-all-cars-revenue-oct-17.png

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 10th November 2017 at 22:48.
jpcoolguy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 23:26   #20
BHPian

Thanks again for sharing JP.

The story of Compass is intriguing. The revenue to volume share ratio is astounding 2.14.

If I assume Toyota's major bread winners are Innova and Fortuner, that sums up to 1275 Cr. The Compass alone is 324 Cr. That would be 25% of Toyota's revenue. Achieving these figures in just 3 months by someone with barely any service and sales network is astonishing.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote