Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th October 2016, 17:54   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Volvo India issues newspaper notice on Big Boy Toyz - What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can these be from flood damaged lot, I understand Volvo showroom in chennai was flooded completely, BBT might have picked from Insurance company and then tried to sell as new?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3864232 (Help! Car submerged in flood)
That's a highly speculative statement to make, just because they came from down south. Any dealer with even the slightest care about his/her reputation wouldn't indulge is such nefarious activity.
harsh79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 18:26   #32
BHPian

Unhappy Re: Volvo India issues newspaper notice on Big Boy Toyz - What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
My speculation on the sale is, a lot of car dealers must have payments they need to honor and still have sizeable stock piling up. Selling it to large volume guys BBT ensures sale in number (rough figure brings it to 3 cars = at least 2.1 cr). Cash in hand and invoice entered, no pressure from Company nor are your cheques going to bounce. Win - Win situation.
If this is what happens, it is the unsuspecting common car buyer who loses out where the dealer and BBT both win.

Just think- I walk into the local Volvo showroom and pay 90L+ for a new XC90. A month later, my friend drives his spanking new XC90 to the club and says he paid 70L. Where would that leave me?

If the company lower prices or if the dealer gives some discount then it is more palatable. But what if there was a parallel system in place? Just like the backdoor licenses and permits we used to get from government offices not so long back?

Car dealership is no quick buck business. It is unlike land or stock- market speculation. It is a business which requires substantial long term commitment and planning.

Car companies give their dealers a detailed business plan with detailed cashflow and margin projections before any serious investments are made by the latter. Any potential dealer would have known it very well. So this whole cash flow pressure thing does not sound good at all.

Whatever, let the buyer beware is what comes to my mind.
Yeldo is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 08:32   #33
BHPian

On a related note, BBT is offering 20 lakhs discount on 7 brand new SLK350s. I fail to see how they manage to offer such massive discounts or am I missing something foul here?

Source:BBT Facebook Page
Pferdestarke is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 02:48   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
On a related note, BBT is offering 20 lakhs discount on 7 brand new SLK350s. I fail to see how they manage to offer such massive discounts or am I missing something foul here?

The Mercedes Benz SLK has got discontinued worldwide and been replaced the SLC sometime earlier this year. Hence they must have picked up the last lot of SLK350's lying with Mercedes Benz India as a part of a bulk clearance deal.

So nothing foul there. I am sure warranty will also be honored for all these cars from the dates they were sold until the standard warranty period.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 07:45   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
The Mercedes Benz SLK has got discontinued worldwide and been replaced the SLC sometime earlier this year. Hence they must have picked up the last lot of SLK350's lying with Mercedes Benz India as a part of a bulk clearance deal.

So nothing foul there. I am sure warranty will also be honored for all these cars from the dates they were sold until the standard warranty period.

According to the Facebook comments, they seem to be offering these cars at 50L. Any idea whether they're 50 OTR or unregistered? Any thoughts on whether these are Worth it?
torquing_points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 09:25   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
According to the Facebook comments, they seem to be offering these cars at 50L. Any idea whether they're 50 OTR or unregistered? Any thoughts on whether these are Worth it?
You probably could get a similar deal from your local dealer if they have unsold stock. BBT has a margin on this hence the dealer can give it to you lower.

Will be interesting to see how businesses that have a large cash component like BBT survive this cash crunch.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 09:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Volvo India issues newspaper notice on Big Boy Toyz - What gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post

Definitely unregistered. With tax and insurance it should be around 55L on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You probably could get a similar deal from your local dealer if they have unsold stock. BBT has a margin on this hence the dealer can give it to you lower.

Will be interesting to see how businesses that have a large cash component like BBT survive this cash crunch.

Got it checked, none of the MB dealers around the country have any SLK's in stock. It's all with BBT now.

The entire Auto market both new and used has slumped. But these used dealers have still figured out some way to turn around money transactions.

A used car dealership in Calcutta which claims to be the BBT of the East has still been selling their overpriced lineup of supercars and sportscars for hard cash in old 500/1000 notes. A Gallardo and Cayman just went to someone's home in-exchange for some bags of old currency notes. Wonder how these guys figure out ways to ethically convert this unaccounted money before the tax officials.

Last edited by cityvic : 17th November 2016 at 09:23.
Old 17th November 2016, 12:13   #38
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

In the case of Volvo - how will anyone know or not that these cars maybe flood / tsunami affected?

In case of Mercedes , I don't think there could be a problem. Obviously if Mercedes had to put these cars on the block to customers, they would have to give higher discounts and hence they may have off loaded their lot to BBT - entire stock cleared in one go.

Had a couple of questions :
So the brand new cars sold by BBT - will these be termed as brand new or 2nd hands?
Who is the current owner of these cars? The manufacturers (Mercedes, Volvo etc) or BBT?
Who will service the car - Manufacture or BBT? Will the service cost/procedure be the same as buying directly from authorised dealer?
Who will honor warranty? Manufacturer or BBT?
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 03:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
In the case of Volvo - how will anyone know or not that these cars maybe flood / tsunami affected?
I think best to physically check the cars. There should be dirt/salt water stains somewhere on the exterior or interior for sure. Best to check the electronics properly as well.

Quote:
Had a couple of questions :
So the brand new cars sold by BBT - will these be termed as brand new or 2nd hands?
Brand new. Whoever buys them will still be the first owner, just that they are not buying from the MB/Volvo dealership but a third party seller.

Quote:
Who is the current owner of these cars? The manufacturers (Mercedes, Volvo etc) or BBT?
Mostly the manufacturers only. These guys just act as brokers in between who get the car registered once they find a buyer.

Quote:
Who will service the car - Manufacture or BBT? Will the service cost/procedure be the same as buying directly from authorised dealer?
A personal choice of the owner, he can get it serviced from anywhere directly the manufacturer's service centers or after market service centers like BBT. Cost would definitely be lower at aftermarket service centers but do not know about the work quality compared to official dealership service centers.

Quote:
Who will honor warranty? Manufacturer or BBT?
Manufacturer for new cars or used cars within the warranty period. But if I am not wrong BBT does offer a 3-6 warranty for all the cars sold by them.

Hope this helps.