Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th November 2016, 12:15   #226
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Ratan Tata makes a comeback as Chairman of Tata; Cyrus Mistry out

Hmm...maybe this was an anecdotal example that wasn't completely accurate, maybe they later found a way of doing this without bribing, maybe they bribed their way into these; the observations about Tata are the relevant ones and remain accurate however, because they are from personal knowledge.

Other than the report of JRD of course; I haven't seen him rebuffing any politician, but he was reported widely to have, and it was characteristic of the man.
PS: an amusing memory from the past, in dealings with Tata Steel. The sales folk of another Tata company seeking an order from Tata Steel were on the back foot because it was felt that a non group competitor would find it easier to "deal" with purchase people in JSR, who it was thought would be shy in making demands on another group company and therefore not place an order on it. But no such thing; there wasn't any hesitation in making all terms known to the group company as well.

Last edited by Sawyer : 18th November 2016 at 12:38. Reason: PS
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:49   #227
Senior - BHPian

"Nusli Wadia, JRD's godson, serves a defamation notice on Tata Sons".

Now even the justifiably reputed amity in the Parsi community is going down. And those who remember his battles with Reliance in the 1980's will recall how experienced he is at corporate street fighting.

From bad to worse, this affair.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:39   #228
Senior - BHPian

Cyrus Mistry denies being hands-off chairman at TCS, says Ratan Tata was once open to selling firm.

- Cyrus Mistry says blaming him for not contributing to TCS and JLR success is an 'illusion'.

- Mistry's office said Ratan Tata had pitched for selling TCS to IBM.

- Mistry said Ratan Tata's 'ego' led to Corus deal at a high price.

Source
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 08:26   #229
Senior - BHPian

Oh dear, RNT is spiralling down in respect in my eyes. For this TCS selling report now which is almost certainly true. I can say that because I spent a lot of time in Bombay House in those days; and this is in line with the overall thinking there at the time. And I have had enough interactions with FC Kohli to know that he would have reacted to the proposal in the exact words used; he knew his mind, he knew TCS, and he always used the least possible words needed to express his strong views. A true great.

People who live in glass houses really should not throw stones. And Mistry's house, even if only because of less time in charge, has a lot less glass.

The Ratan Tata visit to the FM last week, almost certainly to get institutional support in EGMs and his reported tweet of today supporting demonetisation: Quid pro quo at work?

Could anyone have even dreamt of asking this question two months ago?

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2016 at 22:42. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:20   #230
BHPian

In this saga the loser is professional image of Indian corporate. It was not great to begin with but now its even worse.

Ratan Tata and Tata group is not a normal company, they like to make big ticket purchases that make 80% business sense and 20% satisfy egos and nationalistic ideals. E.g. Buying crown jewels of British Car industry or owning Air India or Corus steel or owning erstwhile palaces as hotels. If Buckingham palace is ever for sale I have a feeling Tata group would be first in line to buy.

Tata Chairman is supposed to be pragmatic and be able to see things in shades of grey. For complete accountant mentality he has army of consultants, tax guys etc.

Whereas Cyrus Mistry in my view is a man who only sees things in black and white and for him it should make 100% business sense. He is first a accountant and then maybe a leader, whereas in chairman role a bit of pragmatic view is also important.

This is what let Cyrus to offload things such as Steel ops in England etc. But that would lead Tata to loose their crown jewels and this is not how the company has grown.

Cyrus with business acumen and accountant mentality is perfect candidate for lead positions in other companies but within Tata not as Chairman.

This mismatch everyone should have known to begin with so either the board felt they wanted to go in accountant direction or felt he might end up being more.

Last edited by heydj : 23rd November 2016 at 14:24.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 19:57   #231
Senior - BHPian

Tata Steel removes Cyrus Mistry as chairman.

• O P Bhatt, independent director on the board, has been elected as interim chairman
• Mistry was unceremoniously removed as the chairman of Tata Sons last month and replaced by his predecessor Ratan Tata

Quote:
The board has also decided to convene an extraordinary general meeting (EGM) to remove Mistry and independent director Nusli Wadia as directors on the board of the company.The EGM will be held on December 21.

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th November 2016 at 19:59.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 23:13   #232
BHPian

I have a feeling that Cyrus Mistry was initially in line to 'inherit' the Tata empire after Ratan Tata is no more and was trying to restructure the company in a fashion that he preferred from now itself so that he would inherit a company on the right track and this method of working did not go down too well with the higher ups like Ratan Tata.

Anyways I feel that this could have been handled privately and as such it is none of our business what struggles take place inside a company
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2016, 07:13   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Anyways I feel that this could have been handled privately and as such it is none of our business what struggles take place inside a company
I agree with the first; as a Tata company shareholder, I disagree with the second.
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 20:56   #234
rkg
BHPian

http://www.firstpost.com/business/ta...s-3133854.html

http://www.firstpost.com/business/ta...t-3131754.html
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote