Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st November 2016, 21:50   #61
BHPian

Default Re: The Renault Kwid AMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 4.25 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
The upshift in an upslope can happen if you take your foot off the throttle midway. Otherwise. I have never seen an AT upshift on an upslope in the past 14 years that I've been driving ATs.
Just maybe. As I mentioned, could do better in second attempt.

Let some more experiences come in.
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:17   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
So just a noob question for automatic/AMT/CVT owners. How does one control speeds when coming down a slope? Is it as simple as just letting car coast with the brakes used for controlling speed and foot off the accelerator or something else?
From my extensive usage of Automatics over the last 12 years, frankly speaking, I have never bothered whether the car has creep function or not. Till today, I didn't even know that something like this existed.
Back to the topic, once I put the car in 'D', within the city, I have never changed it to N whilst driving. Not even at short signals. In traffic jams, I do put it 'N'. The brake and accelerator control every slope, whether uphill or downhill. One need not worry how the car will manage( which is why the car is called 'automatic' . To lower the speed use brake, to increase use accelerator. It will be as simple as that.

Paddle shifters, S mode and the likes, are a waste of offerings for a lazy driver like me who uses automatics just in 'D' mode. So if your wife has driving habits like mine, she will be fine.

Just for information, I have never had to use S mode, even for bumper to bumper movement on Altamount road in Mumbai or the crazy climb to the parking slot in Inox at Nariman Point or Phoenix Mills in Lower parel ( with a jam on the climb). I have done outstation trips to Goa and Mahabaleshwar with hilly ghats in between, completely in 'D'. At times one has to floor the pedal to get some strength in the car, but once the task has been done, the brakes can be used to control.

So apart from driving enthusiasts, majority of the AutoTransmission drivers are boring like me, who just use the 'D' mode throughout their ownership.
riteshritesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:54   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
The upshift in an upslope can happen if you take your foot off the throttle midway. Otherwise. I have never seen an AT upshift on an upslope in the past 14 years that I've been driving ATs.
Typically, AMTs do upshift when ascending slopes, even with constant throttle input. I frequently see this happening on long steep parking ramps.

As soon as the car gains some speed, it upshifts, struggles for sometime in second gear, then shifts back to first. Either we need to keep the car at very low speeds through entire incline, or shift to manual and stay at first gear.

Last edited by prasanna_indaje : 22nd November 2016 at 13:55.
prasanna_indaje is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 20:40   #64
BHPian

Mod Note: Our Kwid AMT Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna_indaje View Post
Typically, AMTs do upshift when ascending slopes, even with constant throttle input. I frequently see this happening on long steep parking ramps.

I have not experienced the upshift on any of the ATs I have owned over a decade+ ; not sure if it's something to do with how AMTs are wired.

Last edited by GTO : 30th November 2016 at 17:16. Reason: Link to review
Closed Thread