Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th January 2017, 05:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitthari View Post
Dont think it is gonna fly of the shelves if priced at 25 lacs. They should price it in the range of the Creta or slightly more. The Yeti in itself lost it because of the heavy price. The Compass should be the premium offering and the Renegade should retail between 14-16 lacs. That would make it really fly of the shelves IMHO
If we check the International pricing for these vehicles, we realise that unless Jeep manufactures here in India, they can't meet the price expectations of the India market.
Old 11th January 2017, 11:34   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitthari View Post
Sorry if I have confused you more as I myself am a little confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
Actually you may be right about a ecosport type of offering from Jeep but that may be in 2018. This one may be styled after the Renegade. It is being to referee to as the B-SUV in some circles...

Regards
Bharath
Just to clarify and avoid further confusion, you are talking about different products here. The Renegade is the boxy Jeep that was/is spotted with camouflage before the Compass Mules were built. It may be launched in India, as the platform is used to build Compass. However, the sub-4m vehicle is not the Renegade, probably based on it, but a completely new car. If it ever gets developed, should be launched in India for under 10lakhs.
Renegade would fall in the 10-15lakh price point as it shares most of its parts with the upcoming Compass that would be launched around 15lakhs starting price, but expect the features list to be short of the sbiblings sold abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Disappointed that there's no mention of an AT as well. Most successful products over 13-14 lakh price point are all coming with credible AT options as well. I hope Jeep doesn't limit this only to a manual tranny like Skoda has done with the overpriced Yeti.
It should be coming with either the 6/9-speed Automatic that FCA already uses abroad. So, that shouldn't be a thing of concern.

Last edited by 21Archer84 : 11th January 2017 at 11:42.
21Archer84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 11:34   #48
Team-BHP Support

I met someone doing media work for Jeep who told me that the Compass will be pitched directly at the XUV500. I find that difficult to believe unless extensive localisation has taken place.

Last edited by ajmat : 11th January 2017 at 13:40.
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 13:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I met someone doing media work for Jeep who told me that the Compass will be pitched directly at the XUV500. I find that difficult to believe unless extensive localisation has taken place.
I agree - I would not believe any Jeep pricing tweet until actual declaration. The Wrangler came in at almost twice the price of what all the leading media pundits had predicted since ages.

Last edited by ajmat : 11th January 2017 at 13:41.
Old 11th January 2017, 13:28   #50
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I met someone doing media work for Jeep who told me that the Compass will be pitched directly at the XUV500. I find that difficult to beleive unless extensive localisation has taken place.
I so wish this info turns out to be True. I am ready to upgrade from my 5 year old XUV and waiting for Compass to be launched under 20 lakh bracket.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 14:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I so wish this info turns out to be True. I am ready to upgrade from my 5 year old XUV and waiting for Compass to be launched under 20 lakh bracket.
Well, if it is true (priced under 20L bracket), I guess it will be an Indian version or a ‘Compass’ lookalike with lesser features compared to their siblings in other countries.
Old 11th January 2017, 14:24   #52
BHPian

A source in the Fiat Supply Chain told me that:

1. Compass will be launched around July/August 2017 in 15-20 lakh price range with heavy localization. Fiat India want it to be a success so they will price it as aggressively as possible.
2. Positioning will be against XUV, Hexa and Tucson
3. 2 engine options may be there (2 liter one will be more expensive)
4. Renegade when launched will be positioned under Compass (10-15 lakh range)
JKBKS is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 14:16   #53
BHPian

The spotting is pretty frequent these days. Good to see extensive trials by FCA before the actual launch.

Sorry for blurry picture.

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-fullsizerender.jpg
Moto_Hill is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 18:30   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Moralfibre for capturing & sharing! Caught at Lonavla.

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-img20170114wa0006.jpg

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-img20170114wa0005.jpg

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-img20170114wa0007.jpg

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-img20170114wa0008.jpg

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-img20170114wa0009.jpg

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-img20170114wa0010.jpg

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-img20170114wa0011.jpg

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-img20170114wa0012.jpg

Scoop! 2017 Jeep Compass spotted in India-img20170114wa0013.jpg
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th January 2017, 18:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

I am seriously wondering how this Compass will stack up against the Yeti in terms of functionality, bells and whistles and of course, capability.

I am hoping that it delights me and comes with a good ground clearance of perhaps 200mm, a thoroughly reliable selectable 4x4 "Trail Rated" with different modes and all the rest of it, along with stacks of safety kit too. It would be good if it has relatively short overhangs and as short a wheelbase as the Yeti, so that it can leap happily over these horrible elephantine speed breakers that we have!

If it is indeed priced at a fair rate, then it may be a worthy contender for the Yeti replacement when the time comes. The rear window and the rear-side windows view looks a bit constrained to me from the pictures, compared to the almost panoramic view one gets in the Yeti.

Personally, I would want a Jeep Renegade Top Spec and the 75th Anniversary Edition in Desert Sand or Jungle Green, but lets keep an open mind about the Compass for now!

I am wondering too, about the budget that one needs to keep - none of these cars seem to conform to any of the pricing predictions!

Look at that Tucson for example!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th January 2017 at 18:49.
Old 16th January 2017, 16:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I agree - I would not believe any Jeep pricing tweet until actual declaration. The Wrangler came in at almost twice the price of what all the leading media pundits had predicted since ages.
Thats not entirely true. Their cap is 25L on road - and I have confirmation that they have managed to achieve that.
an_and is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 18:32   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

CarDekho's insider sources within the FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) ranks have revealed that the 2017 Jeep Compass will be launched in India in June 2017, with a price tag between Rs 18 lakh - Rs 20 lakh.
RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 22:42   #58
BHPian

Gentlemen, I’m sorry to puncture your enthusiasm but this Jeep Compass is nothing but a FWD car on stilts that claims to have been “Trail Rated” by FCA.

Compass was developed by FCA on a Mitsubishi GS platform which itself was a compact car platform. So there you have it, the underpinnings of the Compass are that of a compact car.

Though this is supposed to be a trail rated Jeep, nothing could be farther from truth; the only off roading this can do is to go over those speed breakers and manage the pot holed roads.

The 4WD system that this vehicle comes with is called a “Freedom Drive I” where the front and rear axle are linked with an electronically controlled coupling and power is sent to the wheel when slippage is detected by the system. You also have the option of locking the front and rear axle (not individual hubs) in case of extreme conditions (not sure this will be offered in India though). This system is similar what you get in a soft roader such as Honda CRV or Toyota RAV 4 (albeit without differential lock), or Hyundai Santa Fe (Santa Fe is substantially bigger vehicle dimensionally).

I must mention that Compass is substantially smaller than Honda CRV (length -175 inches vs 180.5 inches & width 71.3 inches vs 81.3 inches).

Here in the Canadian market Jeep Wrangler outsold Compass 6 to 1 in 2015 (20,880 vs 3,279 units) though Wrangler is on an average $12 to $15,000 more expansive as compared to a similar speced model of Compass.

This is being launched in India to be sold to unsuspecting folks who want to have a Jeep no matter what. It is reasonable vehicle if you want to take to the Mall or use it as a daily driver, maybe on a long trip as well but if you want to deal with the rough stuff, stay away from it.

Jeep Compass is FCA’s Vitara Brezza (basically a car on stilts and a highly diluted version of Vitara that does not share any component with its “elder sibling” except part of its name to leverage the lineage).

I wish Jeep offered Renegade in India which is a much more serious vehicle with good 4X4 credentials.

The reason Compass is being launched in India is because both Grand Cherokee and Wrangler have basically been dead on arrival on account of their ridiculous pricing. They needed a vehicle which would give them some volumes to keep the company’s head above water (I don’t think Fiat is doing too well in India at the moment and I don’t think this vehicle is going to change that scenario substantially in view of how FCA has priced their Jeep portfolio in India in the past).

The realistic price point of this vehicle would be Rs. 15 to 18 lacs and no more, anything higher and I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.
Vikram Arya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 00:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Gentlemen, I’m sorry to puncture your enthusiasm but this Jeep Compass is nothing but a FWD car on stilts that claims to have been “Trail Rated” by FCA.

The realistic price point of this vehicle would be Rs. 15 to 18 lacs and no more, anything higher and I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole.
Vikram, Compass indeed was developed based on the Mitsubishi as you mentioned. However, this was the old vehicle whose production has been stopped recently.
The 2017 Compass that is launched in Brazil/USA and undergoing tests on Indian roads currently is nothing more than a Renegade underneath. It will be as good an off-roader as the Renegade itself. I don't believe Jeep would just badge a vehicle with TrailHawk unless it's a proven and capable offroader. The reason being it's a Jeep and they cannot take chances with their money making golden goose. Trust me it's worth every penny spent, just not sure how good the Indian Engineering team is going to package it for the price range we are hoping it to be in.

please do check this.

Also, Compass was not considered because of Wrangler or GC. Compass is FCA's first global product, catering to a lot of markets, including India and considering the investment that went into the plant in Ranjangaon and the underutilization, it was an obvious choice to manufacture the RHD vehicles here. Even if doesn't become a huge success, FCA would still be able to mint money from exports to all the RHD nations.

Last edited by 21Archer84 : 18th January 2017 at 00:22.
21Archer84 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 01:58   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Vikram, Compass indeed was developed based on the Mitsubishi as you mentioned. However, this was the old vehicle whose production has been stopped recently.
The 2017 Compass that is launched in Brazil/USA and undergoing tests on Indian roads currently is nothing more than a Renegade underneath. It will be as good an off-roader as the Renegade itself. I don't believe Jeep would just badge a vehicle with TrailHawk unless it's a proven and capable offroader. The reason being it's a Jeep and they cannot take chances with their money making golden goose. Trust me it's worth every penny spent, just not sure how good the Indian Engineering team is going to package it for the price range we are hoping it to be in.

Also, Compass was not considered because of Wrangler or GC. Compass is FCA's first global product, catering to a lot of markets, including India and considering the investment that went into the plant in Ranjangaon and the underutilization, it was an obvious choice to manufacture the RHD vehicles here. Even if doesn't become a huge success, FCA would still be able to mint money from exports to all the RHD nations.
21Archer84, I stand corrected; 2017 Compass is indeed a newer product. Thanks for the video; the vehicle surely looks good in terms of its overall proportions and visual cues.
I would slightly disagree however that it is a Jeep Renegade underneath that facade. It may share its architecture with “Small 4X4”/Fiat 500 platform along with the Renegade but that’s where the similarity ends.

It’s supposed to be a mid-size luxo wagon for the middle class.

Trail Hawk edition (don’t know if this variant will make it to India though) will probably get you a shorter final drive ratio, towing hooks, AT tires and some funky badging (that’s what Jeep pretty much does for all its Trail Hawk variants). As for the “Trail Rated” badge let’s wait till some auto magazine puts it through its paces on some serious trail.

What FCA will do to make it more appealing to the global audience would be to fill it to the gills with all bells and whistles (read that as 6/7 inch infotainment/navigation screen, some sort of semi-autonomous parking system, a large sunroof, snazzy looking alloys, lots of chrome and whatever else its consumer research throws up as an essential goody which is a must have for a large number of people that are in the market for vehicle in Rs. 16 to 20 lacs segment). It sure does look like its elder sibling “Grand Cherokee” and that is an added bonus. If the FC India folks can price is sensibly they sure have a winner here.

Name:  Consumer affairs.PNG
Views: 2559
Size:  174.0 KB

Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler products have almost always fared at the bottom when it comes to reliability* and overall cost of ownership over long term would be my concern.

But who am I kidding; people buy Jeep partly because of the brand that stands for the nostalgic heritage associated with WWI’s Willy’s and the fact that it stands tall with brawny tires and looks like no other 4X4 on the market sure helps; reliability ratings be damned.

Well if it is indeed a new platform and intended to be FCA’s global offering to get the million plus sales then who knows FCA might actually surprise us all with its “clever” packaging/pricing; let’s keep our fingers crossed and stay positive.

* Source – Consumer Affairs website

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 18th January 2017 at 02:05.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread