Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2016, 16:36   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 368 Times
Default Re: Airbags made mandatory for new cars from October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Correcting you since you are wrong. This is a myth, airbags do deploy when seatbelts are not worn, in fact they even deploy if no one is sitting in the seat. ....
Not only will the airbag deploy, if there's an unrestrained passenger in the said seat, he or she risks being seriously injured by an airbag that basically explodes in their face. This is why an airbag is called SRS airbag - supplemental restraint system airbag - it supplements the seat belts in restraining and protecting the passenger.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 1st December 2016 at 16:38.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 23:48   #77
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,000
Thanked: 5,068 Times
Default Re: Airbags made mandatory for new cars from October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
... ... ...And then, disaster strikes! But the airbags won't deploy, obviously? Because, let's face it, they hadn't put on the freaking seat belt! So what's the point in making air bags mandatory?
In fact, the worst case is that airbags can cause serious injury without seat belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
To be honest, apart from issuing penalties for the violations & advertising at signals and highways, the govt. cannot spoon-feed people into fastening the seat belts.
It can be done. I know, because I come from a country where it has been done, and attitudes to seat belts (and alcohol+driving) have [been] changed entirely during my lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Correcting you since you are wrong. This is a myth, airbags do deploy when seatbelts are not worn, in fact they even deploy if no one is sitting in the seat. For example, if you are driving alone and someone smashes into your passenger side door without any occupant, the airbag for the passenger door will deploy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Not only will the airbag deploy, if there's an unrestrained passenger in the said seat, he or she risks being seriously injured by an airbag ... ... ...
I was collecting the quotes to answer. You are there ahead of me!

Let me just add (repeat) think of the effect of an exploding air bag on a child sitting on a front-seat passenger's lap.

Perhaps we should be asking if India is ready for airbags?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Government will make safety norms more stringent, but no plans to make airbags mandatory Tushar The Indian Car Scene 39 9th September 2016 14:27
Dual Airbags as standard on all Honda models by April 2017 psankar The Indian Car Scene 12 7th March 2016 16:31
Ethanol blending made mandatory Jeroen The Indian Car Scene 42 16th December 2015 16:29
Helmet Rule made mandatory in Chennai - a joke ? slipstream Shifting gears 64 14th August 2015 10:32
Why rear fog lamps are not made mandatory? captain.torque Street Experiences 27 30th October 2012 14:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks