Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd February 2017, 14:17   #61
BHPian

Default re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
MID on both Petrol & Diesel is same, just Trims are different (wooden/ Metal inserts)
So basically the E in India will not get Multibeam LED headlamps, Nor will it get virtual cockpit, nor the amazing seats with real leather, nor do we get the traditional Mercedes Grill, but because it will have more space at the rear it will sell more.

Truly sums up the plight of Mercedes lovers in this country.

I seriously hope they have added the virtual Cockpit on the 350d, it really makes the car special
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:20   #62
Team-BHP Support

Default re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post
So basically the E in India will not get Multibeam LED headlamps, Nor will it get virtual cockpit, nor the amazing seats with real leather, nor do we get the traditional Mercedes Grill, but because it will have more space at the rear it will sell more.

Truly sums up the plight of Mercedes lovers in this country.

I seriously hope they have added the virtual Cockpit on the 350d, it really makes the car special
Lets not jump to conclusions, we will have a clear picture within a couple of weeks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post
Multi-Beam LED is not available on all the Indian Variants. What you get here is Intelligent-LED. About the rest of the kit, I am not sure. However, the virtual cockpit is a part of the COMAND package and it might be available as an option. Though it looks cool, I personally still prefer the mechanical meter at least for speedo and tacho.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class LWB - Details revealed

Mercedes-Benz will be launching the 2017 E-Class LWB in India on February 28, 2017. Ahead of its official unveil, details about the India-spec model have surfaced on the Internet, giving an idea about the features and specifications that will be on offer with the new E-Class in the country.

The 2017 E-Class LWB will be offered in two variants: Avantgarde (E200) and Exclusive (E350 d). As per reports, Mercedes won't offer the 12.3-inch infotainment screen with the India-spec model. Instead, it will be equipped with a 7-inch multi-function display (MFD), flanked on both sides by dials for the speedometer and tachometer. Moreover, the India-spec car will come with Artico (faux) leather upholstery, instead of the real leather seats found on the China-spec model.

However, the new E-Class will feature a COMAND Online infotainment system that will include a 7-inch touchscreen display and a 13-speaker Burmester sound system. Other features that are expected to make it to the India-spec car include reclining rear seats, automatic parking and 64-colour ambient lighting. The top-end 350d model will also get air suspension system.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 6th February 2017 at 12:31.
Old 8th February 2017, 22:28   #65
PPS
Senior - BHPian

E Class LWB spotted in Goa.

http://www.autosarena.com/scoop-merc...potted-in-goa/
Name:  MercedesBenzEClassLWB3600x450.jpg
Views: 2223
Size:  48.7 KB
Name:  MercedesBenzEClassLWB1600x450.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  48.5 KB
Name:  MercedesBenzEClassLWB2600x450.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  48.8 KB
Name:  MercedesBenzEClassLWB5600x450.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  51.5 KB
PPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 00:10   #66
BHPian

I don't know, maybe its the angle, but that profile shot of the E is just throwing W222 vibes at me!

If this is gonna be priced at 62L ex-Delhi, down here in Bangalore we're gonna be paying a good 80 lakhs for it. That's insane, I'm sure deals can be managed on the A8 for not much more than that.

Also, this looks just like the current C, I can barely tell it apart!
Old 9th February 2017, 00:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
down here in Bangalore we're gonna be paying a good 80 lakhs for it. That's insane, I'm sure deals can be managed on the A8 for not much more than that.

Also, this looks just like the current C, I can barely tell it apart!
Doubt the A8 can be had for anywhere close to 80L. The base A8 is 150 L OTR on paper in Bangalore. With discounts one may be able to probably get for around 120ish which is still 50 % higher than the E.

And yes, its looks more like a stretched C rather than a shortened S.
Old 9th February 2017, 09:37   #68
Senior - BHPian

An uber luxury long wheel base version of the E class with faux leather?? And other compromises to trim levels?? I simply don't get it.

Quality of leather contributes in a big way to the luxury experience while seated. To make a stretched E with faux leather is plain foolish, even for a base trim. It's not like a LWB is a corner carver as such. Give me a Lexus or Camry any day instead if this is what the E will offer at that price.
Old 9th February 2017, 09:46   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
An uber luxury long wheel base version of the E class with faux leather?? And other compromises to trim levels?? I simply don't get it.

Quality of leather contributes in a big way to the luxury experience while seated. To make a stretched E with faux leather is plain foolish, even for a base trim. It's not like a LWB is a corner carver as such. Give me a Lexus or Camry any day instead if this is what the E will offer at that price.
The management in Daimler is organised in such a matrix that when it comes to production, the head of production is vehicle specific and not location specific. That means there is a head of production for the S class alone, who commands any S-Class production line across the globe. The catch here is, China as a market was so distinct, that China got an independent production head, and its own specific models. Hence, the S-Class produced in China or the E-Class does not fall under the global commanders but have a single regional head. This is why this whole idea of the stretched E class looks, feels and is packaged in a really wierd manner which is not the same as what is offered on the global variants. Perhaps, in the coming months we could have the same theory applied in India, where India will get customized cars tailor made for the market.

Why faux leather? IMO it should be to keep costs low. Give a huge real estate inside the car and some gizmos. Cut the finer details which might be slipped under the eyes of the customer. If they had indeed brought the finer details to this car, the pricing will shoot out of the roof. Its more like a built-to-cost(read chinese ) S-Class rather than a premium E-class.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 10:09   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The management in Daimler is organised in such a matrix that when it comes to production, the head of production is vehicle specific and not location specific.

The catch here is, China as a market was so distinct, that China got an independent production head, and its own specific models.
This is all very insightful - I had no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Why faux leather? IMO it should be to keep costs low. .... Its more like a built-to-cost(read chinese ) S-Class rather than a premium E-class.
I understand but then its bad judgment call. Also, the fact is, the vehicle is in fact a stretched E not a shrunken S. To that end, if I have a certain expectation from an E class, my expectation from a LWB E will be more than that.

Secondly, this is clearly for a chauffeur driven centric customer. In that case, even if compromises are to be made, quality of leather should not be the area to do it. Faux leather feels cheap. Its not something you can get away with. All in all, some poor product planning decisions if these aspects are true.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 12:11   #71
VSD
BHPian

The new E will be presented to the media in Goa on 18th feb and prices will be revealed on 28th to the public. I really feel that cutting corners like giving faux leather et all would've worked few years ago. Today's customer wants luxury and best quaity feel in their cars with most possible gizmos.
Compared to this, the new 5-series will have nappa leather and leather dash etc. We'll have to wait and watch of what exact specs will be coming up in the lwb E.
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 09:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

Reviews are out-

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-404172.aspx

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-404172.aspx
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 11:41   #73
BHPian

Prices in Delhi . Ex- Showroom

E 200 56.70 Lakhs
E 350 70.15 Lakhs.
Strella is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 11:51   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strella View Post
Prices in Delhi . Ex- Showroom

E 200 56.70 Lakhs
E 350 70.15 Lakhs.
That's insane.
That E200 is going to murder the competition.
Old 28th February 2017, 12:00   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoke View Post
That's insane.
That E200 is going to murder the competition.
I am not so sure. Audi A6 entry level is available at 50 lakhs approximately on road in Delhi. The outgoing 5 series is also available below 55 lakhs on road.

To me, at least as per the pictures the car doesn't look too well proportioned and with a very low ground clearance it may not be too practical also.

I think the pricing is quite ambitious.
Closed Thread