Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 1st March 2017, 02:01   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

WOW MBIL, take a bow!! At 56 Lakhs this is a lot of car. Being an S class owner I actually feel a bit cheated now, please refund me half my money
The S350d costs exactly double of the E200 LWB!! They ought to pack some serious tech and features to the S now or there is going to be major cannabalization.

However, I'm very surprised how they got everything right but not the pricing gap of the E350d. It ought to have much much more features to justify the 13 lakh price difference, just a v6 engine doesn't justify.

Last edited by Sahil : 1st March 2017 at 02:03.
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 04:19   #92
BHPian

Default Re: 2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!

With that pricing Game, set and match Mercedes Benz!!!

Audi, BMW and Jaguar run for cover.

Volvo's S 90 is doomed for sure.
raj981 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 08:32   #93
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mercedes to make E-class cheaper to run than before

Quote:
Customers can now choose from 45 service packages with tenures ranging from 2 –10 years and priced between Rs 64,700 and Rs 9,03,200 for the E 200 and E 350 d models.
Mercedes says that its pricing is cheaper than most of the current competition and even lesser than the outgoing E-class’s service packages. According to Roland Folger, MD and CEO, Mercedes-Benz India, customers today place high importance on vehicle ownership costs. “Currently, we see the importance given by the customer to the price of a car against the cost of ownership as a 50:50 split, compared to 90:10 five to six years ago"

Source
Nicky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 09:35   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

While I am pleasantly surprised at the pricing, I am also sad that we are losing driver oriented cars one by one across segments in our market.

While the E may not be a corner-craver in its regular guise, but it still presented a great option for those who wanted to drive everywhere - the right size with a good mix of comfort, luxury and handling.

Make no mistake, this LWB is going to be a super hit with the masses and may just have opened the floodgate for limos in our market. Sigh!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2017, 10:53   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Won't be surprised if Mercedes would introduce the regular E class at some point later along with the E63 AMG.
I really hope that they do, that will be icing on the cake. However it seems unlikely in todays market as everything from the CLA to the C will have to see a price drop to make adequate room for it. But yes, give me a regular E350 over this for self drive any day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

The huge difference between Petrol an Diesel versions - understood the 350D is a beast, yet- might create (among premium carmakers) a trend of pricing P and D versions with massive difference, like 10 to 20L?

More bad news for the gooey fuel
Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
While I am pleasantly surprised at the pricing, I am also sad that we are losing driver oriented cars one by one across segments in our market.

Make no mistake, this LWB is going to be a super hit with the masses and may just have opened the floodgate for limos in our market. Sigh!
The price difference already exists. Even with end of year discounts, Indians have been paying a 10 Lakh differential for the 6 cylinder engines. Don't worry, all is not lost yet. If BMW are smart, they are going to launch their updated 5 series on a regular wheel base. That alone is plenty of car. I actually find the 5 seats the most comfortable of any car I have sat in, comparable to cars above its segment. This is only with regards to support and seat compound, not plushness. Give me a 530D as a daily driver any day. BMW are not about to destroy their driver oriented image. They will offer a very premium product that is a little less driver oriented than the outgoing generation but still a lot of fun to drive! Mercedes are simply ensuring that there is no reason to consider any other car if you are chauffeur driven. BMW are going to come back with a very good balance between comfort and drive pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
WOW MBIL, take a bow!! At 56 Lakhs this is a lot of car. Being an S class owner I actually feel a bit cheated now, please refund me half my money
The S350d costs exactly double of the E200 LWB!! They ought to pack some serious tech and features to the S now or there is going to be major cannabalization.

However, I'm very surprised how they got everything right but not the pricing gap of the E350d. It ought to have much much more features to justify the 13 lakh price difference, just a v6 engine doesn't justify.
I think you make a very good point there, just the engine alone doesn't justify the price difference, but then the premium for the 6 cylinder engines in our markets have always been along similar lines. I am sure that after the initial hype, very well equipped cars with the 6 cylinder engines will cost about 10 L more than the E200. After having extensively driven the E250D and and the E200 CGI, I know for a fact that if I am ever to upgrade from D2 segments to the premium cars, I'd only do so for the 6 cylinder Engines. Given your experience with so many cars from both segments, what do you think?

Also, the more I think about it, the more it seems that Mercedes wouldn't mind some degree of cannibalisation between the S and E. After all, if someone cross shops between the E LWB and the S, they will still walk out the door with a Mercedes and chances are they will look to upgrade with the next generation. They could of-course price the S500 Maybach aggressively enough to make potential S class buyers spring for that instead of looking at the E.
imp! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 06:44   #96
Senior - BHPian

Pretty awesome pricing. Yes, the 350d still is overpriced by 5-6 lakhs.
The line up will be complete in May-June when the E220d launches around 7-8 lakhs cheaper than the E350d.

Waiting to get delivery of our Iridium Silver E350d next week. Shall update pictures and a review soon.
cityvic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:04   #97
BHPian

ACI Price checker

2017 Mercedes E-Class caught testing in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 56.15 lakh!-0_0_860_httpcdni.autocarindia.comgalleries20170301055030_e_class_price_checker.jpg

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-gal...up-402206.aspx
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 20:42   #98
BHPian

Jag XF looks like good VFM among all now. Also the petrol in comparison to 530d.
Old 4th March 2017, 12:54   #99
BHPian

Very attractive pricing. Would certainly have considered the new E200 had it been launched 3 months ago. Frankly, all the mid segment luxury cars need to go for LWB versions. I self drive but could never have convinced my family to stuff themselves into the rear of a 5 series. The old E was better but lost out due to its tired interiors. I am sure this would have won votes over even the SUVs

One question - have they provided a spare tire under the boot floor, or is it strapped onto the boot like in the C and the GLC. For me, the small boot of the GLC + the spare taking up too much space turned into a deal breaker and I picked up the X3 instead. If the E has the same problem, it will cost them some customers.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2017, 16:58   #100
Senior - BHPian

My sense is that the wheel may be IN the boot. I know the all the regular E does not have a spare in wheel well anymore.

Interestingly, BMW itself has started putting a spare in the wheel well on its generation changed models. The X1 gets the wheel well as does the all new 5 I'm told. Hopefully the next gen X3 will get it too. Mercedes has gone the other way with the new C, GLC and all new E.
Old 5th March 2017, 09:43   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Very attractive pricing. Would certainly have considered the new E200 had it been launched 3 months ago. Frankly, all the mid segment luxury cars need to go for LWB versions...
I saw the car in person. It looks regal. Kind of peaceful beautiful.

Just confused about being in the driver's seat. Somehow, something felt amiss looking at that big a car in the RVM. My guess is that self drive users of this segment would have a tough call. For my own drive I would pick a shorter car and if the family needs to be onboard, it is not horribly cramped as well.

What is your take on users like me who prefer self drive? Are we in for a lot of family pressure?
Old 5th March 2017, 10:46   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post

Are we in for a lot of family pressure?
I don't think it's a car for the 'family' purpose. It is still a good comfortable 4 seater. If you are referring to aged parents, still doesn't fit perfectly, car is not too low but people with existing back pain may still be a little uncomfortable. Many guys under pressure by the family end up buying a SUV. It's more about the flexibility that only an SUV can give.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 5th March 2017 at 10:48.
Old 5th March 2017, 11:53   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post

Just confused about being in the driver's seat. Somehow, something felt amiss looking at that big a car in the RVM. My guess is that self drive users of this segment would have a tough call. For my own drive I would pick a shorter car and if the family needs to be onboard, it is not horribly cramped as well.

What is your take on users like me who prefer self drive? Are we in for a lot of family pressure?
Yes, there will be some pressure. If you spend few minutes in the rear you will find so much to do with all those buttons and then you compare with other cars with just one window up/down button.

One must understand the difference between convenience and comfort. Former is a button you rarely use and later is an unseen feeling you experience all the time. If extra leg space is not required for families of average build, then IMO other cars stand equal chance.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 12:03   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

One question - have they provided a spare tire under the boot floor, or is it strapped onto the boot like in the C and the GLC. For me, the small boot of the GLC + the spare taking up too much space turned into a deal breaker and I picked up the X3 instead. If the E has the same problem, it will cost them some customers.

They have a space saver spare but it is fastened on the boot floor instead of being under it.

It may not be a deal breaker but is troublesome none the less. And looks awkward too.
Old 9th March 2017, 15:29   #105
BHPian

I looked at the new E while shopping for GLS. I reckon the new E350d particularly with black interiors absolutely destroys the competition. This is coming from an existing BMW f10 owner & a die hard fan. The amount of luxury it offers, I doubt the yet to launch new G30 can offer it.

The inside is a lounge to say the least. I've already put my deposit will be getting the delivery in 3-4 days. First owner in the city. The leg space & reclining ability won my heart. This thing has 64 ambient lighting configurations! It has the space which equals S class. In fact new E has made the S class redundant, at least the S350D.

The new 5 still still carriers the same interior as of f10 just with better quality parts & few hand gesture gimmicks. 5 just doesn't feel a new generation, which is just sad. BMW watch out!

Last edited by Dante : 9th March 2017 at 15:34.
Dante is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread