Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2016, 14:11   #31
BHPian

Default Re: November 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota Shows how perception can do wonders. See the numbers Crysta and Fortuner are selling. Etios does some respectable numbers. Got to see on their 2017 launches Vios?
Would be interesting to understand when you say perception, could you elaborate more on this please.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 14:32   #32
BHPian

Lower numbers for Innova looks more like impact of demonetization rather than production shift to me.
Old 8th December 2016, 15:03   #33
BHPian

Revenue Calculation have been done for this month and have been posted here.

Top-25 Cars based on Revenue:
November 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-top-25-cars-revenue-nov-16.png

OEM Market Share - in terms of Revenue:
Name:  OEM Market Share  Nov 16.png
Views: 4426
Size:  23.9 KB

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 8th December 2016 at 15:10.
jpcoolguy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 15:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda -Should be worried lot. City is pushed down to the second position in the C segment. Just a few month sold BR-V surprising joins the duds like Mobilio and Brio. Honda bets on the its crossover WR-V, but judging by the response after its unveil might follow the BR-Vin sales numbers. City facelift is the only hope for Honda in 2017.
----
Good Analysis and summary, just want to add that, Honda India should not take customers for a ride, what they offer is just extension of existing products, their innovations and design and style has somehow lost and Hyundai has captured it well.

What Honda is doing is making a hatch Brio, adding a boot now it becomes Amaze, extending Amaze a little it becomes Mobilio, Bulking up Mobilio it becomes BRV. Where is the innovation in all that.

Indian customers are not stupid, we also need good designs and good quality products. If Honda is forgetting that the next big wave of demand will be from India.

Look at Civic what a beautiful design, Honda still is not able to launch anything similar in terms of design.

Last edited by SDP : 9th December 2016 at 11:32. Reason: Fixed the quote
StallionAmit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 15:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post

There is a clear trend that buyers are moving towards hatchbacks from compact sedans. (look at I20 v/s Xcent and Jazz v/s Amaze).
Well, not necessarily.
Just look at Dzire vs Swift numbers. The Dzire consistently outsells the swift.
Same case in Ameo.
Also, the amaze consistently outsells the Brio (on which it is based on).

Also, we should compare Xcent numbers with Grand I10, not with I20 numbers.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 15:59   #36
BHPian

Thanks for the much awaited thread!

Now, I belong to that part of people who think that demonetisation impact cannot be caught in this month simply because
these are just dispatch numbers. But still let me try to include that as well in analysing each segment.
I am using the figures of this month, the previous one as well as November 2015 to analyse the effect of demonetisation.

Segment A (Alto,Eon,Kwid,Nano,Redigo)

Redigo Sales are down (Their lowest since launch), Not Much change to EON, Huge jump for Alto,
big dip for KWID and not much change for Nano.

Redigo is slowly getting to its real position in market and its not a good sign. especially since they share their product
plants with Renault. KWID definitely has suffered from perception of demonetisation. How else can you explain such a big drop,
when they have just started selling 1.0 ltr and definitely lots of test drive AMT's would have been dispatched to dealers.
I feel Renault did not read the market(again) properly and thought customers would stay away from buying.

Segment B1 (Wagon R, Celerio, Tiago, Indica-Vista, Beat, Go)

Huge Drop for Indica and not much change anywhere else. Definitely no effect of demonetisation from general public.
Taxi segment a bit sceptical.

Segment B2 (Swift, Baleno, i10 Grand, Elite i20, Jazz, i10, Polo, KUV100, Liva-Cross, Micra, Bolt, Figo, Evo, Avventura, Pulse, Brio, Sail U-VA, Abarth, Ritz)

Never realised B2 segment has 18 Cars!
Wonder what Chevrolet is thinking dispatching 100+ sail when the max they have sold was 22 that too 5 months back.
Figo has crashed like anything but they don't care as they are looking only at exports. Both the cars from Hyundai have seen
huge drops which has no explanation other than demonetisation. KUV100 also has seen a huge drop in dispatches. I don't want to
comment on Fiat.
So all in all Impact on 3 cars i10 Grand, Elite i20 and KUV100.

Segment C1 (Dzire, Xcent,Etios, Zest, Amaze,Aspire, Ameo, Indigo, Verito, Sail, Sunny, Scala)

Xcent, Indigo, Ameo and Zest have seen their numbers going down. Except for Ameo, the effect is mainly on Taxi segment.
Success of Tiago is clearly rubbing on Zest. Even with numbers down (Mainly the Taxi numbers), they seem to be getting better
than previous months. Clearly the marketing guys are not that bad. Too early to speak of Ameo numbers and link that to demonetisation.

Segment C2 (Brezza, Creta, Ciaz, Ecosport, City, S-Cross, TUV-300, Duster, Verna, Rapid, Vento, Safari, BRV, Terrano, Linea)

The hot and Happening Segment for now.
Again a huge drop for Hyundai with Creta. Can we conclude Hyundai also read the market wrongly regarding demonetisation or is it that
the demand is slowly waning out. Honda would be desperate to jump to 2017 and launch the new City. Another few more months like this,
the perception will surely come out that city has certainly lost on Ciaz. Scorpio and TUV drop close to 50%.

Segment D1/D2/Utility (Rest of the cars)

XUV-500 and Bolero had a huge drop. So did Superb. Innova production would have definitely got affected to accommodate Fortuner.

Summary:

I can see that 2 manufacturers had the maximum impact on the perception of demonetisation. Hyundai and Mahindra.
This is apart from the Taxi segment across manufacturers who are doing a cautious approach.
Mahindra has huge presence in rural sector and definitely the huge negative perception of demonetisation in the media would have
prompted them to reduce the dispatches. No one wants to pile up cars on year end and then sell in huge discounts in 2017.
I think for the first time Hyundai has had a big mistake in reading the market. Or maybe it is market correction as they usually
sell around 40k vehicles. Apart from this I feel Honda is only one who should be worried irrespective of demonetisation.
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 18:43   #37
BHPian

The New Toyota Fortuner straightaway becomes the king of yhe segment. Endeavour might be a good product but it can never challenge the Fortuner's appeal among the people.

Ecosport still remains the best seller for Ford in India and with a facelift on cards, I hope ford can sustain it's numbers in the long run. They should try to launch the new ford fiesta in India, the premium hatch will definitely do well.

Maruti and Hyundai as usual doing great numbers. Surprised to see the numbers of Honda City and Brio based mobilio and BR-V has become duds. WR-V will be another half baked product from Honda.

Last edited by hareesh3395 : 8th December 2016 at 18:50.
hareesh3395 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 18:59   #38
BHPian

Good to see 3 things -

1. Tata at No 3.
2. Sail sales increased.
3. Etios sales increased.

On a side note,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Exactly which one is offered for sale? Vista or Indica? If Vista, is it the Quadrajet or Tdi?

Last edited by SDP : 9th December 2016 at 11:34. Reason: Fixed a broken tag
Old 8th December 2016, 21:48   #39
BHPian

I could see huge decrease in Scorpio, Safari and the so called politicians preferences. No offense to the real owners.

Does the demonetization really work and hence they couldn't buy with black money?

If yes,

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2016 at 12:41. Reason: Poorly typed post
trtraj is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th December 2016, 21:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

I'm totally surprised with 2 brands in the D2 segments. Ford and Skoda. We in India have 2 excellent VFM products with the Endeavour and Superb. The same products are praised worldwide and are also a lot better compared to their rivals. In India, we get them at mouth watering prices and yet they haven't set the sales chart on fire. What's wrong ?
Old 8th December 2016, 21:54   #41
BHPian

@ trtraj: Hahaha! Which car dealership accepted cash for car purchases?

And Safari, scorpio were the choice of politicians before Fortuner and Pajero sport era (mid 2000s).

Today the lower cadre politicians buy boleros while medium cadre buy the Innova and the influential ones buy the Fortuner.

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2016 at 12:42. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 22:06   #42
BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the monthly sales analysis for the month of Nov '16 .

Few observations from my side -

Demonetization Impact:

As much as I would like to believe that the Demonetization impact is not yet known, the numbers suggest otherwise - see the chart below.
November 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-nov-16-mom-trend.png
  • What a month for the leader - when every other Manufacturer was reeling under pressure due to demonetization, they have actually increased the number of units sold - thanks to their strong product line-up which have a very long waiting period.
    Baleno hit a new high, Ciaz, Ertiga, Brezza and the other Top-5 going steady they have no cause for concern - Demonetization or not.

• Only other manufacturer who is least affected, is Toyota with a whopping number of Fortuners sold and actually they have seen a increase in their revenue M-o-M.
    To cap it all, this is the highest ever monthly sales for Fortuner since its launch in India (including the previous generation).

• The biggest losers are Fiat - they hit a new "historic" low of just 266 units and Linea is almost done and dusted.

• Honda's sales are almost halved - and I think this is the first time they don't have any cars in Top-20.
    Take this - Honda has sold more number of City than this entire month, not long ago, only during the start of this year - Jan '16, yes, Honda sold 8037 units of City alone during Jan '16.

• The next biggest impact is for M&M and I think theirs is even worse than Honda.
    KUV 100 & TUV 300 have hit the lowest level since the launch and the Nuvosport would have made them feel like waste of time launching that.
    But the biggest worry is the number of XUV 500, in fact it has never gone below 2K, except for the initial 3 months of its launch during Sep '11 and one month during Jun '13, but the number of 1069 units is way below from its average sales volume.
    Also, the Scorpio too has bled badly, this is its lowest month since 2011, barring one month - Aug '14 (when it sold only 2275 units).

• Renault, Datsun, Nissan, VW, Skoda, Chevrolet - even though it seems they have lost quite a bit but I do think it is perfectly "normal" for these brands

• Now, here comes the shocker - Hyundai lost exactly 10,000 units compared to last month and approx. 20%, which I think is not expected given the kind of numbers they have doing recently with Creta, i20, Grand i10. And it hurts them where it hurts the most - i20's numbers are lowest since the launch of "Elite", except for the initial 2 months and I believe those 2 months doesn't have the numbers of "Active", which means this is it's lowest since launch. Verna hit its lowest this year and Creta its second lowest. But they have promising start to Elantra and Tucson - both combined to make more than 500 units.

• Although Tata has reached 3rd position, they too had lost 22% compared to last month. But on closer analysis, they are lucky that the hit was taken only by cabbie favorites - Indica / Indigo and the aging Safari/Storme.

• Ford has somewhat survived for now - with the help of Ecosport / Endeavor - but Figo is going down the drain.

Other observations -

1. Brio hit a new "low" - it is outsold even by "Pulse" - remember this car?And are Chevy planning to stop U-VA, by off-loading all their stock?

2. Not much action in B2 hatchback and Compact Sedan space - everything seems "normal".

3. Etios hit a new high in a long time, after more than 3 years - the last time was Sep '13 when it sold 3189 units. Although Rapid facelift didn't start off well, at least it has outsold the sibling Vento first time this year.

4. Enjoy is "enjoying" the price cut, with 2 good consecutive months.

5. The biggest surprise for me is the D1 Sedan space - Corolla has first time fallen behind both Elantra and Octavia, in fact, this is its lowest since its launch in May 2014. And Jetta in single figure !!!, but Cruze managed to "cruise" constantly.

6. Skoda must have been crying - Superb - 33, Octavia - 145, Rapid - 682, all capable products bearing the brunt of Demonetization. Is the Teana still available in Indian market?

7. Decent start by Tucson and good month for Endeavor, even after the launch of new Fortuner. Need to wait and watch on how the competition unfolds in the near future with Endeavor being more VFM product.

8. i20 Active - 1316 units, Dzire Tour - 3017 units and Thar - 828 units !!!

Last edited by jpcoolguy : 8th December 2016 at 22:28.
jpcoolguy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 22:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Source: http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2016/...ecord-at-52-1/

This article uses some of the very apt words to describe the current status in Indian auto industry, imo.
Old 8th December 2016, 23:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Honda: Interesting to see most of the cars in the top losers are from Honda. Surely looks like a capacity reduction post demonetization. But Honda has too many "Brio" based cars from 5.5 -15 Lakh Rupees and frankly non of them are selling too well. The sooner Honda realize this the better.
There seems to be something amiss at the Honda team. How can they throw up so many unexciting cars one after the other. If i am looking to buy a new car , then for every Honda car their competitors have much better alternatives. Only the Honda city seems to be one with a slight edge.
NitinBatra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 08:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamnos View Post
Would be interesting to understand when you say perception, could you elaborate more on this please.
Perception of Toyota is that they are synonym to Quality, but the new gen cars are far from that ( but note this is in comparison to Toyota new and earlier gen cars ). Here is a related thread to this!
Link (Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta)
Closed Thread