Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th December 2016, 14:51   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default November 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 14:55   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: November 2016 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 14:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 15:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 15:07   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Indian Car Scene.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 15:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aditya for the analysis.

When sales most auto companies are hit with demonetization, Maruti Suzuki the leader in the Indian Auto Industry in one among the few that rides due to strong bookings and a robust portfolio mix in the relevant segment. Most companies reporting growth is due to the recent launches that have appealed to the masses.

Maruti Suzuki - Continues to baffle many, and after the blip in the October sales comes back and captures 52% of the Market Share. Holds top 5 slots out of the top 10, and has 11 in the top 20.
Leads the entry level segment, Compact Sedan, C segment, UV and MUV segment. A clear enviable position to every other auto company. Will Ignis lead the Micro crossover segment and will Maruti Suzuki able to hold on/ increase its Market Share? Seems not a problem with the speculated mix of launches in 2017!

Hyundai – Does show some signs of the demonetization effect? Sees a negative growth. Could also be the dealers resisting to stock as year-end is approaching? Shows a negative growth in almost all products except its new launches Creta and Elantra and Tucson. The ageing Verna needs a competent replacement.

TATA – A surprise to take the 3rd slot in November sales. Tiago proves to be the comeback vehicle for Tata Motors. Now it is interesting to see how they can hold on to this position. Not a challenge though , if they manage to position and price the HEXA, Tiago sedan and Nexon rightly.

Mahindra -will be worried. Losing its grip in the UV segments, all products have a negative growth and with KUV finding a competition in 2017, can they bounce back to Number 3?

Toyota – Shows how perception can do wonders. See the numbers Crysta and Fortuner are selling. Etios does some respectable numbers. Got to see on their 2017 launches – Vios?

Renault - Continues to prosper with the Kwid continuing to do well. But then it also proves to be a one product wonder with KWID being in the top 10.

Honda -Should be worried lot. City is pushed down to the second position in the C segment. Just a few month sold BR-V surprising joins the duds like Mobilio and Brio. Honda bets on the its crossover WR-V, but judging by the response after its unveil might follow the BR-Vin sales numbers. City facelift is the only hope for Honda in 2017.

Ford- Seems to have a hard time. Only EcoSport does some volumes. But then this is one of the companies who is happy in exports rather than the domestic sales.

Volkswagen - Ameo seems to be doing reasonably well. But on the long run for 2017 with no clear new product visibility may be refreshes in Polo and Vento’s is all they have to offer.

Nissan/Datsun -Redi-Go seems to be doing okay. Nothing much else to cheer about. Nissan’s portfolio seems weak – CUV' Kicks' for India, but when?

Chevrolet -A surprising spurt for the Enjoy. Nothing else of significance. Don't see any interest( of masses) in the compact sedan Essentia.

Skoda- Rapid Face lift just launched. Not showing signs of take- off. Delivery issue? Octavia and Superb doing reasonably well.

Fiat- No comments, as they seem content with the consistent 'sales' figures- so why bother?

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th December 2016 at 15:21.
volkman10 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 15:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

November 2016 sales figures doesn't give a clear picture post demonetization. Actual impact would be reflected in next 2 or 3 months. Overall sales figures have shown a growth inspite of banning old 500/1000 Rs notes. But it is not significant because these figures are factory dispatches.

Chevrolet

Enjoy figures have improved post price reduction. Overall figures are still poor. Global giant is not able to crack Indian market.

Fiat

I do not know what to say. Fiat India contribution is just 266 units. Linea figures have hit all time low : 26 cars?? Abarth Punto : "a half baked cake" attempt by Fiat is also a failure.

Ford

New figo is a very good product and also priced very competitively. It's really really sad to see poor sales of this excellent hatch.

Mustang figures have shown a sudden growth. Did Ford India start selling Mustang across all dealerships?

Endeavour sells 10 times more than Mustang!!

Ecosport is still the bread and butter for Ford. Ford got it right by immediate price reduction post Brezza launch.

Honda

Honda seems to have been hit hard by demonetization. I guess Honda has reduced the production due to low footfalls into showroom. Honda dealers should be happy about it while other brand dealerships would have tough time to clear the stock. Accord hybrid was dead on arrival : just 2 units shipped from factory!!

Hyundai

Grand I10, Elite I20 and Creta contribute to majority of the sales. Not to forget, Grand I10 is a 3 year old product and a face-lift is on cars, still it is the best selling Hyundai.

Tucson and Elantra are doing similar figures. Hyundai should be happy about it.

Mahindra

Same case like Honda. KUV 1OO "SUV" hype is over. I always felt that this strategy wouldn't work on long term. Bolero is the best seller now. There is drop across all models.

Maruti

Maruti shows it's clear dominance once again. More than 50 percent market share!!

Baleno figures are all time high and Brezza is also doing good. S-Cross is doing consistent 2000 units. All other modes are also doing similar numbers and nothing to write about.

Renault : Nissan Alliance

Kwid and Redi Go contribute to more than 75 percent of total sales figures. Combined figures are little higher than Tata and retains 3 rd spot even on November 2016 sales chart.

Skoda

Another bad month for Skoda India. New Rapid looks really good, but not so good on Sales chart. Overall figures do not even cross 1000 units.

Tata

Tiago is the best product from Tata till date and no wonder it contributes to around 50 percent of sales. Good times for Tata ahead, if they get the Hexa pricing right!! Tata is on 3 rd spot now.

Toyota
Recent updates to Etios has worked out for Toyota. 3000 plus units is really a good figure. Fortuner figures are just mind blowing, close to 2000 units. No wonder Ford is feeling the heat and I have seen couple of Ford SA's putting up video about Endeavour vs Fortuner comparo.

Volkswagen

Vento, Polo and Ameo combined figures are less than Vento + Polo figures few months back. We need to watch out for next 2 months numbers.

Out of Top 20 cars on Sales chart,

Maruti : 11/20
Hyundai : 4/20
Tata : 1/20
Mahindra : 1/20
Ford : 1/20
Renault : 1/20
Toyota : 1/20

Cheers!!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th December 2016 at 15:19.
Dr.Naren is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 15:39   #8
BHPian

Like others said, this is not the month where we can comment about the sales of a specific manufacturers. If moderators can provide a quarterly report, then that could give some good idea of how the sales vary, before and after demonetization.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 15:43   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting numbers this time. Lot remains unchanged but some surprises.
  • Maruti seems to have not got impacted by the demonetization from a manufacturing perspective. Good numbers across models.

• Alto seems to have regained some steam.

• Hyundai seems to have been impacted in some way. All models including the blockbuster models dropping. Especially the i20 to ~7000+ units.

• Drastic drop for the City to 2500 odd units. Thats the lowest in a long time. Overall poor month for Honda. Total of ~8000 units. City used to manage 80% of that number just by itself at its peak. They will not be happy looking at this chart.

• Taigo continues to do well for Tata. 6000+ units is a good show. But absolutely nothing else to show.

• Kwid has also dropped a bit. Expected a rise due to dispatches of the AMT variant.

• Fortuner straightaway jumps to almost 2000 units. Good thing with Toyota is that they don't attempt to create hype around waiting periods and booking.

• Polo + Ameo doing greater numbers than what the Polo managed by itself, so there is a market for the Ameo. vento has fallen from its steady 1000+ numbers.

• Rapid Facelift does not seem to have made an impact on sales.

• Mahindra taking a hit across models. Bolero dropping by half. That looks like a demonetization impact.

• 59 Mustangs!! Where did that suddenly come from. Both the Ecosport and the Aspire pick up a bit. Endeavor maintains its 500+ numbers. But a huge drop for the Figo to 350 odd units.

Edit: Wonder what is the status of the 100 GTI's VW had planned to sell. Was hoping that they would share numbers. Or maybe those cars have not been dispatched yet? (assuming there are bookings)

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 7th December 2016 at 16:06.
Rajeevraj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 15:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]59 Mustangs!! Where did that suddenly come from. Both the Ecosport and the Aspire pick up a bit. Endeavor maintains its 500+ numbers. But a huge drop for the Figo to 350 odd units. [/list]
Ford has started taking the bookings for Mustang across India starting December. That may be the reason for the spike in the number of shipments, hoping to be grabbed by the fans sitting in different corner of the country .

More info->Mustang

Last edited by DragonHawk : 7th December 2016 at 16:15.
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 15:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

CNN has some story to share regarding how manufacturers have reports lower sales in Nov.

Quote:
India's Tata Motors (TTM)-- whose parent company also owns Jaguar Land Rover -- reported a drop of 28% in domestic sales, while competitor Mahindra & Mahindra sold about 38% fewer vehicles last month than in October.

Foreign carmakers also took a hit. Korea's Hyundai (HYMTF) and France's Renault (RNLSY) saw their sales slump by 20% and 22% respectively.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/02/news...les/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
November 2016 sales figures doesn't give a clear picture post demonetization. Actual impact would be reflected in next 2 or 3 months.
True; especially since these are factory dispatches, not sales.

For cars with good overall sales (and waiting time), demonetization will only be a blip.

But for cars that barely sell (Chevrolet, some of the Hondas and Ford), next couple of months' factory dispatches will show the effect.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 16:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Need one small clarification, not sure if I have missed it but is the Elite i20 figure also includes i20 Active? Are separate figures for these cars available?
Old 7th December 2016, 16:30   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I'm not sure what to think of the 200 dispatches brio had this month. The biggest shocker to me considering it's one of the most enjoyable car to drive below 8L but then again them not offering a single airbag even in the s variant should have it's consequences.

Hopefully they do something about it and atleast start offering airbags in models below vx.
Old 7th December 2016, 16:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Need one small clarification, not sure if I have missed it but is the Elite i20 figure also includes i20 Active? Are separate figures for these cars available?
This is combined figure of I20 twins. Separate figures are not available
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 16:54   #15
BHPian

Honda: Interesting to see most of the cars in the top losers are from Honda. Surely looks like a capacity reduction post demonetization. But Honda has too many "Brio" based cars from 5.5 -15 Lakh Rupees and frankly non of them are selling too well. The sooner Honda realize this the better.

Ford: I am seeing a see saw between Aspire and Figo sales month after month so surely looks like a capacity problem at Ford. But I really doubt if long term sales can be sustained as both the twins have pretty mediocre interiors especially the dash areas. Dare I say that many cheaper cars have better looking dashes. Looks like they need a full bloodied international Ford like the EcoSport to succeed.

Mahindra: The old war horses Scorpio and Bolero continue their face saving run for Mahindra. The over styled KUV, TUV XUV seem to have lost favor with the general public after the initial radical design mania. This is just my opinion btw.

Hyundai: Surprised to see that they have lost a bit of steam while Maruti has done so well in the same period.

Maruti: With most of their cars that are beyond the budget category commanding heavy wait periods, they seem to have braved the demonetization pretty well.

TATA: Right now its a one car show for them and I would like to know who are those brave souls who bought those 6 Arias with the Hexa just around the corner.

Toyota: The mighty Innova falls to its lowest number for the first time since its launch but the Fortuner starts it innings quite well. Now lets see if Toyota Innova finally comes with some offers so that I can think of getting one soon enough.

VW & Skoda: Ameo sales are already going down but the Polo has gained this month. VW has a fight in its hands. The new Rapid seems to be struggling in its first month itself.

Renault & Nissan: I am surprised at a huge difference between the Terrano and Duster month after month for essentially the same car with the better looking one struggling. Kwid has fallen but doesn't look too serious. Rest all are just surviving. Datsun is selling more cars than Nissan itself.

GM: Sail U-VA has a nearly 485% increase since last month. What happened here?
SPARKled is online now   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread