Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2016, 09:36   #301
BHPian
 
petrolhead_neel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Burdwan
Posts: 606
Thanked: 949 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

I voted for the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross. Have been absolutely in love with this vehicle since I saw it in flesh. Kudos to Isuzu for launching this pickup in India. I had a tough time deciding between this, the Tiago and the Endeavor. But eventually the enthusiast in me overruled everything as I clicked on the 'vote' button.

We are quite sure now that the Tiago would be taking home this award. Congrats to Tata. The Endeavour has surprised us too, and Ford have done a fabulous job with this one. I had expected a tougher competition between these two.

Regards,
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 09:48   #302
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,402
Thanked: 3,431 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Ecosport has better engine, suspension and build quality. Both Brezza and Ecosport are well equipped. Ecosport is clearly the better car compared to Brezza. The A.S.S of Ford has been improved very much over years. Ford service is now really good and service is cheap. So how did Brezza, clearly not the best product in its category won this many votes!!
Perhaps you forgot to take into account the price factor. Maruti products have almost always enjoyed a significant price advantage compared to rivals. This may be due to higher localization, inferior quality or anything. But it works in our country along with the perceived notion of cheaper service and higher resale value. Hence Brezza wins in the numbers game against the Ecosport.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 10:52   #303
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,293
Thanked: 18,822 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Perhaps you forgot to take into account the price factor. Maruti products have almost always enjoyed a significant price advantage compared to rivals. This may be due to higher localization, inferior quality or anything. But it works in our country along with the perceived notion of cheaper service and higher resale value. Hence Brezza wins in the numbers game against the Ecosport.
This would be true had the Ecosport not been cheaper than the Brezza. If you compare similar variant of both i.e. Brezza ZDi and Ecosport Titanium, the Ecosport is nearly 30K cheaper. If you spend 20K over the fully loaded Brezza you get the Titanium+ with 6 airbags and leather upholstery.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 11:26   #304
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,402
Thanked: 3,431 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This would be true had the Ecosport not been cheaper than the Brezza. If you compare similar variant of both i.e. Brezza ZDi and Ecosport Titanium, the Ecosport is nearly 30K cheaper. If you spend 20K over the fully loaded Brezza you get the Titanium+ with 6 airbags and leather upholstery.
So what then is according to you the reason behind the numbers?
In the month of November 2016, Brezza sold 9719 units vs 4092 units of Ecosport. Thats more than double.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 11:31   #305
BHPian
 
samaspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manipal / Udupi
Posts: 878
Thanked: 2,102 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Ecosport is clearly the better car compared to Brezza. So how did Brezza, clearly not the best product in its category won this many votes!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hence Brezza wins in the numbers game against the Ecosport.
Ecosport might be the better car, but it is NOT part of this competition. So obviously people will not compare the Brezza with it while voting.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 14:31   #306
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,547
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
So how did Brezza, clearly not the best product in its category won this many votes!!
The definition of 'car of the year' differs from person to person.

It may be its segment's best for you. But there are so many segments! And there may be no segment best in an year also.
For some people, it may be a car redefining the industry.
For some, it may be a car redefining the fate of its manufacturer.
For some, it may be a caf redefining the segment.
For others, it may be a car that caught their attention than anything else.

Please don't down vote others' votes.
romeomidhun is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 16:41   #307
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 23
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Nehaagg: Can't agree with you much.

If Ecosport was so confident about its standard, there was no occasion for Ford to hit the panic button and substantially reduce prices immediately after launch of Brezza.

Brezza is a brilliant mix of everything and trust me it won't disappoint you on any front. I am driving it for past 5 months or so and am proud of my decision to choose it against other options available in the market. ASS, reliability, mileage, price, features, looks, etc, all play an important role. It continues to convince the major chunk of auto enthusiasts which shows in the number of units being sold each month. Therefore, ICOTY: No surprises.
I agree with you. We should award this ICOTY title to the Brezza. That's what we deserve.

Some of us love the practical, grown-up aspects about cars, like you prefer to rate a COTY based on 'A.S.S., reliability, mileage, price and features'. One may call these quantifiable aspects Aspects of Logic (AL). And there is nothing wrong with the AL; they keep reality in check.

However, some of us like steering feel, sensation of speed, ride quality, design, robustness of build and handling much more, and frankly, these things matter to some 'enthusiasts'. They make us feel and be more human, and they evoke desires and passions. I call these the Aspects of Passion (AP). The fact that you didn't mention these indicates that you are an AL person first and foremost, which is absolutely fine.

The Brezza gives some sense of AP and it does it just adequately. But it does it because it was forced to do it till the APs could be ignored, like an obedient child who studies History and does well just enough to get her overall percentage up in order to impress her parents. Let us not kid ourselves, the Brezza is not on this COTY list based solely on its AP.

When we vote for 'car' of the year, we should ask ourselves: which four-wheeler comes closest in making happy our 13-year-old selves? Before all the mundane, real-world aspects brought wonder down to its knees? If you were 13 and saw a Brezza moving past for the thirtieth time, would you turn around and see it? If you sat in it and it moved, would you be urging your big sister to drive it for some more time?

The only AL I endorse, and harking back to the 'reality check' I mentioned earlier, is price. So the final question we should ask to a COTY is: If I had <Insert segment-maximum pricing here> which car in that range would make my 13-year-old-self's hair stand when I would walk into a showroom? This year, the GTI came close, but the very, very expensive pricing and the rather plain exterior treatment let me down.

The Brezza has been specifically designed to excel in making the AL person happy, which it has stupendously done. And which is why I think the Brezza is pure magic: Maruti the magician has expertly distracted you from your own feeling, human self. Thus, in the same way that the Brezza is AL-incarnate, on the other end of the spectrum is the anti-AL. The standing monolith to AP. The anti-Brezza: the Abarth Punto. It makes no sense in the head, but plays heavy metal in the heart. If the Brezza is Bieberish, the Abarth is AC/DCish. Something that my 13-year-old self waits to see and feel in the morning. I would vote for it and defend it.

In summary, the Brezza should definitely be the Indian COTY in every Indian automotive magazine, because that's what we deserve, nothing better, and most certainly not something that we can enjoy with our senses—a moving machine parading as an SUV that vasools paisa in the practical department, with a dash of features. When you write 'major chunk of auto enthusiasts' I see people who always put matters of logic and practicality first and give passionate, feeling and cultural aspects of vehicles a secondary, token importance, voting in-effect for 'moving appliance of the year'.

The reason so much has to be said about all this is because that's how the sheep-herding starts: from one false accolade to another, from one word-of-mouth to the other, till the numbers driven by grey logic tighten and squeeze all life from things of heart.
nehaagg is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2016, 20:47   #308
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .
Posts: 478
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Voted for the Tiago, for all the effort put into it. Also love the new Ford Endeavour.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 05:15   #309
BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 633
Thanked: 342 Times
Default

My view of the "Car of the year" is simple. It has to be segment defining in some way or the other and relevant to the Indian consumer. Yes, right pricing makes a case for itself else the car wouldn't be relevant.

By that yardstick, it isn't easy to pick a clear winner this year. Although many of you may not agree, it has to be the New Innova crysta this year ( although not my favourite). Just come to think of it, no other manufacturer had even come close to the benchmark set by the old Innova and Toyota ups the ante by an all new one! It's the undisputed leader of its segment by far and no other contender is even in sight ( may be the Hexa, but it's got a long way to go )

Yes it may be priced a little premium but the relevant customer base isn't complaining!

All the other cars listed out are just not segment defining! The Brezza can be easily outclassed by the ecosport in many aspects! The Tiago is Tata's best so far, but should you give out an award just because Tata has eclipsed their previous benchmark or shouldn't it truly deserve the award on merit?

The ford endeavour is my closest second to the Innova, again sort of redefines the 30-40 lakh SUV segment with features.

All others such as the KUV100 and the Honda BRV seem very gimmicky to me and just don't make the cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehaagg View Post
The Brezza is a great all-round car. It has a lot of gadgets and features. It handles all mechanical matters acceptably. It has a lot of space. And as I found out first-hand, it has really great mileage. It makes a very good case for itself overall.



I disagree to the earlier statement that it is an ordinary product. It is not. It is extraordinary. It is pure genius.



The Brezza is the accepted doctoral thesis of Suzuki's deep understanding of the Indian populous. Because, if you remove all the superficial gadgetry from a Brezza, the contrived panache of 'playing glamorous' and the so-called SUV appeal, it really does not soar in any single 'car'



So instead of channeling your evidently 'refined' anger on small-time manufacturers backed up by a minority of enthusiasts and mechanics, focus on the things that make the Brezza a great candidate for 'car' of the year. You will find it wanting.

Somehow I couldn't sense the tone in your post. Are you being Sarcasic about the Brezza? If you were
I think you pulled a good one. And if you weren't I think the praises heaped on the Brezza is very much over the top! Pure genius? Extraordinary? Really?
To each his opinion for sure and that's why we are part of the community, but to put forward an one sided opinion just because one owns the same car is something I cannot agree with. You may disagree, that's ok as well, I don't expect your views to match mine.

Last edited by theMAG : 27th December 2016 at 18:45. Reason: Back-back posts < 20 mins. Please EDIT moving forward.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 07:58   #310
Newbie
 
cogWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 36 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Voted for the Tiago.
Could turn out to be a life line for a car maker which has been struggling.
Breath of fresh air in a segment that had otherwise become uninspiring.
A value for money car for the masses.

The Endeavour is a close second for me.
cogWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 08:48   #311
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: bangalore
Posts: 43
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

According to me, the car of the year is definitely going to be the Toyota Innova Crysta. This is and will be one of the best family wagons in India. The Innova excels in almost each and every segment be it safety,comfort or riding.
Cheers,
Karthi.stark
karthi.stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 09:16   #312
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,025
Thanked: 4,456 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can't seem to decide between the Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

The video covers
Fellow D, Karan's video helped me decide as to which car to vote for. Fortuner it is for between both.

Endeavor and Fortuner are just like Safari/Storme and Scorpio. I chose the 4WD Scorpio over Storme for peace of mind, similar sentiments, plus MT is the reason for this.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 10:34   #313
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 208
Thanked: 398 Times
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
With your logic, all products from Maruti should sell well including Grand Vitara and Kizashi, because they also enjoy the same Distribution network, brand image and ASS. But that didn't happen.

A combination of product, price, mileage, reliability and support can win Indian customers - that is where I arrive now.
Forget about A.S.S., distribution, parent company's goodwill etc. Let's assume Brezza is manufactured by, say, Chevrolet. Something changes? Still COTY?

we need to dissociate our own choices (rather compromises) of company, service network and brand image. The cars in contention need to be looked for the cars that they are. As someone has put it aptly - we are opting for COTY, not the manufacturer of the year or service network of the year, or mileage champion of the year.
Nav-i-gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 10:58   #314
BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 633
Thanked: 342 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Forget about A.S.S., distribution, parent company's goodwill etc. Let's assume Brezza is manufactured by, say, Chevrolet. Something changes? Still COTY?



we need to dissociate our own choices (rather compromises) of company, service network and brand image. The cars in contention need to be looked for the cars that they are. As someone has put it aptly - we are opting for COTY, not the manufacturer of the year or service network of the year, or mileage champion of the year.

Couldn't agree more. This is what I have stated in my earlier post as well. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinion I cannot some how fathom how COTY votes are being decided on what car one owns or what car has the better service network etc. I reiterate that COTY should be a segment defining one and also equally one that is relevant to the Indian consumer in terms of pricing as well.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 11:21   #315
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,547
Thanked: 1,720 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
we are opting for COTY, not the manufacturer of the year or service network of the year, or mileage champion of the year.
Please refer to GTO's opening post. While listing out the cars, he has aptly listed out all these areas either in pros or cons section of the respective cars.

For common man in India, a car bought without considering the price, mileage and service will cause nightmares.

Consider things in its 'entirity'. Simple.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 26th December 2016 at 11:28.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs Tushar The Indian Car Scene 780 23rd June 2017 14:27
Tata wants your help in renaming the Zica! (Edit: Now renamed Tiago) GTO The Indian Car Scene 145 26th February 2016 11:32
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is! GTO The Indian Car Scene 484 17th July 2015 11:47
Team-BHP Car of the Year 2009 EDIT : The Tata Nano it is! Dippy The Indian Car Scene 239 23rd October 2010 20:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:14.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks