Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2016, 14:22   #346
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 128
Thanked: 77 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehaagg View Post
Aspects of Logic (AL).
Aspects of Passion (AP).
making happy our 13-year-old selves
and harking back to the 'reality check' I mentioned earlier, is price.
Brilliant use of words to describe our feeling when we just simply put it as heart versus mind. I may not use the same words, but I am increasingly listening to my 11- and 8-year olds' logic when picking up stuff. As recently as a couple of weeks back, we cancelled the booking of the XUV and decided to wait for the Hexa based on such a call. Listening to the kids not only tugs at the heart strings in the right places, but also aligns this logic that when we are spending close to 20 lakhs on a car that we will keep for at least 7 years, might as well listen to the heart, lest we start drooling at someone else's Hexa sometime later.

PS: I voted for the Tiago, proud that it won. Beautiful design and features, does not seem like it was built to the cost. Hope Hexa is also priced based ont he same logic
wanderlust is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 14:24   #347
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 208
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Why some people have a problem with Tiago getting voted COTY here? All cars in the list are good, popular votes say Tiago is better considering all aspects. And we must keep in mind - we expect a lot from Tata. Even a small mistake, a small niggle is taken as a deal breaker. Which MS car does not rattle over time? But for a Tata, this is poor quality. We must criticize, but we must applause too, when deserved.

Have Tbhp COTY ever gone to a MS car? Does that mean MS cars are bad? NO. They sell, and how! But they probably lack romanticism (barring S-cross: that car is very unlike maruti in all aspects)

Best is not always successful and same vice versa. Let's dissociate talent with success and support system for once.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 14:47   #348
BHPian
 
punto_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyd/Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

On one occasion I booked OLA, a new Tiago had come to pick me. Was excited to see how it is, however brand new car was having so many creaking noises from everywhere and ride quality was not great either. Its not even a good looking car!

I wonder what makes it COTY?!
punto_ is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 15:01   #349
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,552
Thanked: 2,488 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I wonder what makes it COTY?!
Perspective.

Everyone has their own.

Let's take an example: you seem to have voted for the Superb. One might feel, how can a car that has an AT gearbox that is renowned to be unreliable and is backed by a manufacturer that isn't considered customer-friendly make CoTY.

Of course, I'm not getting into specifics. But it's just a perspective.
libranof1987 is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 15:06   #350
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 422
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
And from what I know, JV still exists. It was abandoned only at the dealership level. Manufacturing is still shared.
That's what matters. Manufacturing shared or not, how does it matter?

Anyhow, only Manza used to be assembled at Fiat's Ranjangoan plant and it has to do nothing with any other product, let alone Tiago.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 15:17   #351
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 287
Thanked: 717 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post

And my point was since Tata owns such great companies and has great financial muscle, they could've taken their time and improved the engine, NVH and their after sales. But guess what? They know the Indian mentality.

Some of us Indians apparently care about better features in the car than a better car.

There's a reason why Maruti cars are such a hit. They have less features but their engines are always peppy and after sales are the best in business.
Nope, Tata does not have the financial muscle to take more time and resources on a market which is too price sensitive and not so profitable compared to export markets (which is not Tata's forte anyway). Toyota, VW ,Honda, Ford, GM etc all have that 'financial muscle' yet we don't see any global models or global tech that they have. Why single out Tata ?
And if we are to believe Tata, I remember them saying they are selling Tiago at a lesser margin compared to others. So it is not like they are not using JLR's profits to improve domestic performance. Read the team-bhp review again and you will see a lot of parts are sourced from abroad.

Wont comment on Tiago's NVH levels but having sat in almost all its competitors, (Celerio, Wagon R, i10 iRDE etc) I don't think they are setting any benchmarks either.
Also, talking about NVH, these two motors from Tata are new and hence it will take some time to improve. The fact that they have launched it now (and people buying it) means they capable of competing with other manufacturers. Biggies like Honda and Suzuki have failed to get it right the first time. Honda's Diesel engine has had its share of NVH issues, while Suzuki's experiment failed miserably (125 DDiS). On a side-note, Maruti Suzuki has not attempted to build a 3 cylinder diesel engine for smaller cars.

After sales service is patchy, but its not outright bad. Moreover, it has nothing to do with the product itself. Fiat cars did not fail because of A.S.S alone, that debate can be done on another thread. Not correct to comment on reliability of a car which is less than an year old, but haven't heard any major issues so far.

I don't see having better features as a bad thing, it is one of the reasons why Tiago's sales have increased, confidently competing with Celerio which is backed by Maruti's better sales and service network. Yes, some Indians care for better features, is there something wrong in it ? Didn't quite get your argument !
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 15:18   #352
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 208
Thanked: 398 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
That's what matters. Manufacturing shared or not, how does it matter?

Anyhow, only Manza used to be assembled at Fiat's Ranjangoan plant and it has to do nothing with any other product, let alone Tiago.
On that, MS would be closer to Fiat than anyone else. Right from Celerio diesel till S-cross & Ciaz, all have the same fiat engine!
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 15:22   #353
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 422
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
On that, MS would be closer to Fiat than anyone else. Right from Celerio diesel till S-cross & Ciaz, all have the same fiat engine!
That's little different. As in case of Manza, it was assembled in Fiat's plant unlike other vehicles which has their engines.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 16:22   #354
BHPian
 
vivee90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Congratulations to TATA for the award.

I didn't vote for the Tiago since I am not directly connected to the market as a customer but, being a close observer with technical interest E20 Plus stood like a remarkable effort by M&M. I am happy 13 other bhpians share the same thought.(Cheers!!) Hopefully, one day M&M efforts in pushing the almost non-existent market for e-cars will pay off.

COTY is a result of a democratic voting, since most of us believe in democracy as a system it is natural to also accept the result of the system.

What makes this COTY unique is that the Tiago is more of an evolutional product than a revolution. By that I mean, it was not an altogether segment-breaking or segment-creating product like the KWID or Duster when launched but more of a "boy next door" car that no one thought will be so well developed in most aspects that matter to the consumer. TATA did a great job in creating a 'non-niche' product stand out among competition.

For sure, we have restored TATA management's faith on Indian consumer that a good product will be embraced irrespective of the brand.
vivee90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 19:22   #355
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 23
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Somehow I couldn't sense the tone in your post. Are you being Sarcasic about the Brezza? If you were
I think you pulled a good one. And if you weren't I think the praises heaped on the Brezza is very much over the top! Pure genius? Extraordinary? Really?
To each his opinion for sure and that's why we are part of the community, but to put forward an one sided opinion just because one owns the same car is something I cannot agree with. You may disagree, that's ok as well, I don't expect your views to match mine.
If you read my post about AP and AL, you will find that I am an AP person, while your choice leans firmly on AL.

I also mentioned that excellent AP cars lose out by the lukewarming nature of the populist view. Which is why we should listen to our hearts and not let good-hearted cars fade; because by voting for AP compromise packages such as the Brezza, we spread the classic Indian sheep-herding syndrome and ultimately divert credit from some cars who at least don't deserve slow, painful deaths.

I have a strong, sarcastic opinion against the Brezza because I believe that such 'means-to-an-end' vehicles are depleting the richness of the automotive-cultural ecosystem in India at an alarming rate. An ecosystem thrives only when there is sufficient variety, especially mid-pyramid, and without fighting for the endangered, beautiful, gentler creatures, the motoring landscape will soon be awash by the ALs, resembling a wasteland.

So yes, I fight against this relentless blandness.
nehaagg is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 20:22   #356
BHPian
 
Sree73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 588
Thanked: 662 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
On that, MS would be closer to Fiat than anyone else. Right from Celerio diesel till S-cross & Ciaz, all have the same fiat engine!
Celerio is running with Suzuki in-house designed DDiS 125 engine. It is not from Fiat. S-Cross and Ciaz diesels are from Fiat.
Sree73 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 20:25   #357
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 4,530 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

I knew the Tiago was going to win this year's Team-BHP COTY award, although I did expect the Vitara Brezza to provide very tough competition.

Just FYI, I didn't vote for the Tiago. I was quite confused whether I should vote for the Tiago or Vitara Brezza or Tucson. In the end, I cast my vote for the S90 instead! The S90 is a lovely car, but (like other Volvos) doesn't / may not sell in the deserved numbers solely because the Swedish brand doesn't have the "pull" of its German rivals.

Congratulations to Tata for their Tiago!

If the Zest's launch was the turning point in Tata Motors' fortunes, then the Tiago's introduction serves as the launch pad for their take-off. The Tiago has already helped to make Tata the No. 3 car manufacturer in India (in Nov. 2016) - it's a worthy recipient of a worthy award!

Last edited by RSR : 27th December 2016 at 20:27.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 23:10   #358
BHPian
 
punto_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyd/Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Perspective.

Everyone has their own.

Of course, I'm not getting into specifics. But it's just a perspective.
Yeah I agree but still surprised with Tiago!!

Also, I wanted to vote for Brezza, ended up voting for Skoda by mistake.

Last edited by punto_ : 27th December 2016 at 23:13.
punto_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 00:44   #359
BHPian
 
Burn_out's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 92
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Wow, what a surprise! A second Tata in 3 years. Karl Slym must be proud of the achievement. Definitely a worthy contender.

Somehow I feel, Tata (sales / service) staff will find innovative ways to royally mess it up. Happened with the Zest, which was a huge turnaround for Tata Motors.

This year there were better cars that appealed to my heart and soul. Unfortunately, the Tiago was not one of them. It felt like a "jack of all trades" car, that does a lot of things well, but never excelled in any. I say this after driving a top-spec petrol Tiago for around 2000 KMs. For me, the Endeavour was the one that made all the right noises. Now that left an impression, after only driving only for 5 KMs.

Overall a great year for enthusiasts. 2016 gave us gems like the POLO GTI and Isuzu D-Max V-Cross. Even fantastic updates to our staples, like Elantra, Superb, Fortuner and Innova. Tiago coming on top and with a huge margin says something about us enthusiasts. We want a GTI or an Abarth, but end up getting a Tiago. Again, I say this as I personally own 2 Hyundai’s.

Last edited by Burn_out : 28th December 2016 at 00:46.
Burn_out is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2016, 00:51   #360
Senior - BHPian
 
carwatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bardez, Goa
Posts: 1,185
Thanked: 995 Times
Default

It seems I unintentionally offended many fellow BHPians by mistakenly using the word 'Connoisseur' while I actually wanted to convey enthusiast. I sincerely apologise for the goof-up.

I mentioned the reason for my not voting for Tiago is being the mention of not-very-great engines in official review thread (which we all regard as very high). Also I haven't seen many Tiagos on road here in Goa.

I voted for Toyota Innova Crysta despite it being Non-VFM.

I would also like to mention that there is absolutely No single criteria apart from VFM which can Guarantee any car to be COTY. The car which crosses the 'mind' hurdle of VFM then moves to the next hurdle of 'heart' and which car pulls the strings gets the vote.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs Tushar The Indian Car Scene 780 23rd June 2017 14:27
Tata wants your help in renaming the Zica! (Edit: Now renamed Tiago) GTO The Indian Car Scene 145 26th February 2016 11:32
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014. EDIT: Tata Zest it is! GTO The Indian Car Scene 484 17th July 2015 11:47
Team-BHP Car of the Year 2009 EDIT : The Tata Nano it is! Dippy The Indian Car Scene 239 23rd October 2010 20:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks