Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th December 2016, 17:56   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

My shortlist would have to be:
- Tata Tiago
- VW Ameo
- Vitara Brezza
- Hyundai Elantra
- Innova Crysta
- Ford Endeavour

As a rule I vote COTY based on whether I would vote for it with my wallet. Which rules out the Ameo (old wine in a slightly smaller bottle), Crysta (overpriced for a van) and Brezza (just...doesn't tug the heart strings). That leaves the Tiago, Elantra and Endeavour. Each of these is a car that I can imagine owning and driving, in its respective segment.

Tiago loses the battle here thanks to the T badge- though Tata has improved by leaps and bounds they will still have to prove their quality in the market for me. Elantra versus Endeavour is a tough fight but in the end the additional two seats, that magnificent pan sunroof and that stonker of a 3.2L engine seal the deal!

Ford Endeavour it is! Am hoping will be in a place that I can afford one sooner or later
noopster is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:05   #32
BHPian

Voted for Tiago.

I have a bias towards ford and Tata. They are serious, putting in sincere efforts, and pulling out good competent products. Basically doing everything right to put the past mistakes behind and build the brand in India. For me, both are worthy of top 5 players (others are obviously the unshakable - Maruti & Hyundai, and possibly Mahindra).

Voted for Tiago ahead of Endy because of the relative significance. Hatchbacks account for 54% of total auto market here, so obviously...
Nav-i-gator is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:05   #33
BHPian

I voted for Tiago, for the simple reason the segment in which it competes is cut throat.
Secondly it is a game changer for Tata Motors. It is the product which has brought respect to Tata Motors and the mango people are appreciating it, despite the weak image of Tata Motors.
Endeavour is also a fantastic product but it is placed in a much higher bracket. Tata has pulled off a fantastic product in the fiercely competitive entry level hatchback segment and that is not easy.
If Tiago also becomes T-BHP COTY (Car of the year), all hopes will be on Hexa / Nexon for a hat-trick.
Way to go Tata Motors.

Last edited by PraNeel : 7th December 2016 at 18:07.
PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:07   #34
BHPian

First vote for VW Ameo. simply for providing cheapest DSG (sophisticated gearbox in market today) with solid build quality to mass market car. The pricing is also not that bad. Alongwith it comes the handling, ride quality and safety which is ignored.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:11   #35

Voted for the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross!

It's the only new car this year to really create a segment for itself, India hasn't seen a lifestyle pickup till this came along. It's also the car i would put my money down for!
chaotic is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:23   #36
BHPian

For me, it was between the Tiago and the Endeavour.

Tiago is not only a vastly improved product as compared to past products by Tata, it also beats its direct competitors on many parameters and it priced well too. And the market has responded well to the product.

Endeavour is almost a complete all rounder. Capable off roader, and a comfortable family vehicle at the same time - something that almost none of its competitors can boast of. Priced extremely well too, with multiple engine/transmission options on offer. The omission of some important kit (like Navigation) at its price point made me feel that it is not complete.

Therefore, voted for Tiago.
mustang_shelby is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:29   #37
BHPian

Tiago is my choice for COTY.

- An all round product
- No corners cut, doesn't feel cheap at all - others have cut corners in this segment
- Good road presence, was a head turner for sure when launched
- Shows remarkable turn-around efforts from Tata; to me this is very similar to the launch of original Indica in 1998 - "more car per car" or "the day has come when rupee will start buying more"
Once it gets AMT next year, it will be a complete car in that segment.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:35   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

My shortlist would be
  • Tiago: An excellent Product from Tata. Showing in the sales numbers too.
  • Endeavour: As already mentioned, a droolworthy product and a competent one anyway you look at it.
  • Ameo: The only reason is that it brings in a Diesel + DSG at a fantastic price point.
  • Vitara Brezza: Purely because of the blockbuster tag it has earned. I dont like it too much myself, but selling 10,000 units per month in a competitive segment in a diesel only avatar is a huge achievement.
  • Skoda Superb: Again a fantastic value of money package especially when compared to the big germans. Also because-Well you look at it, sit in it, hard not to vote for it with your heart. Such an exquisite car.

Yet to vote.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:35   #39
BHPian

I think the best newly launched car is the Tata Tiago.

I'm impressed with the build quality and features it provides. It's what you call 'VFM.'

Great cars, but the quality was expected from the brands: (Nothing that'll make you go gaga)
I think the Endeavour would come close, making some premium SUVs feel overpriced. I've personally not checked out the Fortuner, but I'm sure it'll be as good as the Endeavour if not better. The Innova is wonderful too.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 7th December 2016 at 18:38.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:40   #40
BHPian

Voted for Tiago. Kudos to Tata to make such a car, loaded with features, and of great quality (at least as it looks and feels now), pitting against the giants! And despite the brand image and issues with other cars, its a success!

Other contenders were Crysta and Endeavor.
Toyota has real guts to take the already pricey Innova up by about 50% and still sell like hot cakes. Sure, its a 90% new car, except for the shape, so cant blame the pricing strategy. Didn't vote for it since it was destined to be success anyways. Zero competition.
Endeavor is also a fantastic package, but then, it shouldn't be too hard to have those features and price it well with only Fortuner (new) being the real competition, which will anyways be priced above everybody else.

Last edited by samm : 7th December 2016 at 18:42.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:51   #41
BHPian

I was torn between the Ameo and the Tiago, eventually the TATA won my vote being it is an all new product as opposed to the Ameo which is a re engineered Polo.
deepfreak15 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:57   #42

Looks like this would be a two-horse race between the Endy and the Tiago. It is interesting to see Tiago leading now - I can't help but think that at least some of its votes are due to the pathetic quality perception for earlier Tata cars. It is a good car and it was a big leap for Tata. But I really don't care about how it is relatively a great product for Tata when voting for the best car. To me, an Innova, the Endy, or even the Brezza offers a lot more in their respective segments than Tiago does to its own. It does work both ways though - Innova Crysta may not be getting as many votes as it should have got due to the comparison with the old Innova. Even while accepting the quality issues reported, it might well be a superior car than what the votes indicate.

It also looks like there are no game changers or pioneers this year like the Duster or the Kwid, except for maybe the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross!. My short list included that and the Endy. Voted for Endy finally just because I have to choose one. On another day, it could have well been the V-Cross.
VinsWagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 19:01   #43
BHPian

My shortlist is Tiago, Crysta, Endeavor. Given that Crysta and Endeavor are not accessible to the 'masses' - my vote goes to Tiago.

It is a fantastically well rounded product and ticks the boxes in all departments be it looks, safety, features.
GJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 19:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to the Ford Endeavour. I am not much of an SUV guy although I bought a softroader this year purely for its practicality and family needs. I've never lusted after SUV's and least of all big toughies like the Fortuner or Endeavour. But the big Ford is something that has managed to change that. Luxurious interiors, fantastically capable, looks that are butch and classy at the same time and most importantly well priced.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 19:06   #45
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

For me it was Tiago first and Endeavour Second. Evidently the community too thinks the same. Tata deserves this one.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote