Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th December 2016, 09:11   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I didn't feel the same enthusiasm for voting like every year seeing the contenders.

Tiago's underpowered engines and haven't seen many of them on road (while Brezza is becoming very common) here in Goa made me not vote for it.
How do you say Tiago has underpowered engine? Hope you are not comparing it with Polo GTI. For its segment and price point it has got a proper engine specification.

Note: I am not commenting on your choice of voting, but just highlighting the factual inaccuracy.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 09:18   #92
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Team,

My vote is for "Ford Endeavour" .I love the way it looks ,has a great road presence .I drive the smaller version of this the Eco sport ,Im sure she will be my next ride.
shivkumar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 09:24   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
How do you say Tiago has underpowered engine? Hope you are not comparing it with Polo GTI. For its segment and price point it has got a proper engine specification.

Note: I am not commenting on your choice of voting, but just highlighting the factual inaccuracy.
I would assume that its a 'factual' inaccuracy from your stance, just as it is, a fact from his stance. Its perceptions in the end and we've to respect that.

I personally find the 1.2 Kappa engine in Hyundai i20 horrible in terms of power, not everyone agrees with me and that's fine. I found the 1.2 3 cylinder engine of Polo awful to drive in and shared my point, yet many here disagreed with me and they still will, its two points of view.

Power/space/styling are always subjective, its about time there are clear rules to arguing a personal experience on Team-BHP. Facts and numbers cannot be argued with such as wheelbase length, torque figures, power-to-weight etc and yet the rest are all purely, opinions and they do matter since this forum is as much about opinions if not more, than static facts.

It depends on which car the person is coming from and his/her prior experiences. A person used to a 1.6 Palio/1.5 Diesel Getz will find other hatches weak, a person upgrading from a Maruti 800/Alto 800 will find Tiago/Polo 3 cylinder/1.2 Kappa i20 perfectly powerful. That's fine to me, its each person's individual evolution and unique journey into the various aspects of cars that create this collective data-base that we know as Team-BHP. One must always pair personal experiences with others opinions to come to something resembling a fact, that can never change.

EDIT : My vote is the Tucson, I was never big on popular opinions.. and to me the Car of the Year is about something more than affordability. The present Tucson is a big step up from what left India a decade ago and hence gets my vote. We might as well call the Tiago the winner today, 3 weeks in advance, the overall response is clear.

Last edited by dark.knight : 8th December 2016 at 09:27.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 09:25   #94

My mind said Tiago, but my heart said Endeavour.. And as always heart rules over the mind. Endeavour it is for me.
Sarath_MoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 09:35   #95
BHPian

I voted for the Polo GTI. I know it is really expensive, no manual, no leather seats, etc. , but this is a hopeful beginning. I would love to see more hot hatches, very few cars are perfect but this is a first of a kind from a mass manufacturer.

I think this will open the gates for more manufacturers and we will see the perfect mix of practicality (hatch) and power and at lower prices.

Last edited by Chrome6Boy : 8th December 2016 at 09:55. Reason: grammatical error
Chrome6Boy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 09:59   #96
BHPian

My vote is for Toyota Fortuner for the sheer reason that it can outlive anyone here.

But a funny thing seem to have happened in the polls. I clicked on Fortuner for voting but my vote is registered under Endeavour

So its one vote more for Fortuner and one less for Endy.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 10:02   #97
BHPian

Voted for the Brezza because to me it signifies the true arrival of crossover as a segment in the mass market (probably started with the Ford Fusion). This segment is making space for itself by replacing the C2 sedan, which again IMHO is the typical aspirational landing point for the mass market in our country.
subuiyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 10:22   #98
BHPian

Among a lot of "me too" products (including Tiago), my vote goes for KUV100 for at least attempting to be something different. Sure it has quite a few shortfalls and could have been much better had the team spent more time with the prototypes. Having said that, it shows the attitude of the organization to breakaway from routine. Kudos to M&M for that. KUV may not be a success but it will be a fantastic lesson for exciting products to come in future.
Aditya2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 10:36   #99
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes for the Ford Endeavour, simply because it embodies everything a proper SUV should be in a time when SUV's are becoming more metrosexual (for want of a better word) and swoopy. It's one of the few cars on this list that actually make me turn my head and skip a heartbeat as I see it. The Endeavor is a fantastic riposte from Ford for the Fortuner. And so, for its raw desirability, solid value for money, and all round proposition, it gets my vote.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 10:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

It was certainly going to be a tough call for COTY 2016. On one hand, we have domestic products like Tiago which is bringing back some fortunes to its parent company and Vitara Brezza which struck cord with local public by satisfying their need of a high GC pseudo SUV in budget price, while on the other hand we have products like V-Cross, in niche Indian pick-up truck segment with that precise Japanese quality at mouth watering price, looks promising and going to redefine the lifestyle segment in Indian automobile sector and a perfect project vehicle for many.

However I have voted for Ford Endeavour as COTY for 2016. While the competition like Toyota continues to milk us Indians by providing us a relatively inferior product like Fortuner with many deletions when compared to their international counterparts, just because they can due to their reputation of reliability etc; it is certainly a pat on the back of Ford to bring the Endeavour fully loaded at par with their international disguise and at a relatively better price. Think about it practically, you simply don't need anything more in a car if you have new Endy. It is a 7 seater true blue SUV with hardcore off-road credentials and extremely competent hardware, has awesome exteriors and interiors, is loaded to the gills in terms of features, and is very easy to drive around. I enjoy driving the new Endy every time I get a chance.

For me, new Endeavour is a true revelation of what kind of products we customers actually deserve. Therefore, for me the choice is crystal clear.

Last edited by Ace F355 : 8th December 2016 at 11:01. Reason: Typo correction
Ace F355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 10:52   #101
BHPian

My personal vote is for the Ford Endeavor. Main reasons for choice were
1) Styling
2) Safety and 4x4 Features (terrain management)
3) Aggressive pricing compared to the competition

Regards
Ronald
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 11:10   #102
BHPian

Went with the Kid that attempts to change the fortune of India's Largest Automotive OEM, TATA TIAGO.

New design language, Well laid out interiors, new Approach to customers, Better build, Better quality, aggressive pricing and with a great choice of variants to choose from, it had all the key ingredients to lure Indian Customers. Tata Motors went all out to change its image in the auto sector, and this car highhandedly is doing its best to bring Tata's rapport back.

Hope its the winner.

Last edited by Sudeep_Kimster : 8th December 2016 at 11:11.
Sudeep_Kimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 11:33   #103
BHPian

Head says Tiago, a superb product from Indian manufacturer with everything that a entry level car buyer needs. But the heart says Endeavour as Ford has outdone not just itself but Toyota in most parameters.

Voted for Endeavour. Will make up the loss of Tata next year by voting for Hexa
Sacrosanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 11:38   #104

Tiago ! this car is a wonderful effort by Tata and i hope it does really well for itself.
Second best choice would be Endeavour. Amazing car this one is !
There are other cars that are really good. Fortuner or Polo GTI.
I chose Tiago over Endeavour because it a great little car for everyone !
blood_velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 11:42   #105
BHPian

Voted for the Brezza cause the numbers speak for themselves!
Almost 10 months after launch and the demand just refuses to die, still commanding a waiting period of upto 6 months.
Maruti is desperate to get its Gujarat plant up and running so that they can meet the demand for this car along with the Baleno.
Going strong right from when it was launched and the trend will just continue. Car of the Year 2016 has to be the Brezza.
greatgyan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote