Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2016?
Datsun Redi-GO 6 0.24%
Tata Tiago 901 36.76%
Mahindra KUV100 13 0.53%
Volkswagen Ameo 40 1.63%
Mahindra e2o Plus 14 0.57%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 354 14.44%
Honda BR-V 14 0.57%
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross 91 3.71%
Hyundai Elantra 29 1.18%
Toyota Innova Crysta 195 7.96%
Hyundai Tucson 29 1.18%
Ford Endeavour 468 19.09%
Skoda Superb 97 3.96%
Toyota Fortuner 68 2.77%
Volkswagen Polo GTI 37 1.51%
BMW X1 24 0.98%
Honda Accord Hybrid 9 0.37%
Audi A4 6 0.24%
Jaguar XE 6 0.24%
Mercedes GLC-Class 8 0.33%
Jaguar XF 6 0.24%
Volvo S90 36 1.47%
Voters: 2451. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th December 2016, 13:45   #121
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2016. EDIT: It's the Tata Tiago!

Voted for the Innova. Have seen many old Innovas working away tirelessly across all terrains from the length and breadth of India. The new Innova is better than the old one in almost every department and the top versions give you luxury that is the fiefdom of luxury car makers. This car allows mere mortals like me to experience luxury car travel for not a lot of money.

Last edited by SPARKled : 8th December 2016 at 13:47.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 14:02   #122
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Voted for Tata Tiago as their products are improving both in quality and quantity. I voted for Tata Zest in Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2014.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 14:15   #123
BHPian

Voted for the Fantastico (i.e. Tiago). Mostly as a nod to Tata's efforts to give a good safety features at a competent price point in addition to being a decent looking and fun-to-drive car. Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra, Honda - it is doable!

Four letter names seem to have the edge in TBHP COTY.

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2016 at 17:49. Reason: Clarifying which car :)
sun_king is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 14:17   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Brezza is just a Swift on steroids. Nothing great offered by MS. Even Ameo is just an extended Polo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I dont think this statement is necessary here. By your logic, Creta is an i20 elite on steroids and an ecosport is a figo on steroids?
Quote:
Originally Posted by balajisv View Post
Sir, I have justified my selection as much as I have done for others in my short list.
Cannot understand what's the issue?
Dear friend Balaji, No one has a problem with your selection or the justification you have given for that. As a reader of your first post (quoted above) - I did not get a feeling that Brezza or Ameo were your shortlists. Sorry, if I misunderstood.

What I felt from Prasanna's post (quoted above) is that he too has no problem with your choice or justification. But your comment against Brezza was not justified. Your comment about Brezza was factually inaccurate.

Firstly, Brezza is no where close to Swift - it might have used some parts from the bin, but that does not make it a Swift on Steroids. Coz, by that logic, every other car in Maruti stable will be a modified Swift - Smaller Swift (Ritz), Swift with boot (Dzire), a Swift on steroids (Brezza), a newer version of Swift (Baleno), a Swift with bigger boot (Ciaz), a Swift with third row (Ertiga), a bigger Swift with bigger engine (S-Cross). Some of them are true - Ritz, Dzire and Ertiga while others are not.

FYI, Brezza is based on S-Cross platform. Also, Brezza uses VGT avatar of the 1.3 DDiS but Swift has a FGT. Those are 2 different cars and have pretty much nothing to do with each other.

Thanks. Peace.

Last edited by Vigkey : 8th December 2016 at 14:23.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 14:42   #125

Voted for Tiago owing to the sheer value for Money it offers.

I had the Innova Crysta in mind as well. However, did not vote for it owing to the higher pricing strategy even though the vehicle is generations ahead amongst competition when it comes to the overall packaging.

Cheers,

Karthik
KarthikRaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 14:42   #126
Senior - BHPian

Let me admit first that I have not tested ANY of the cars mentioned in the list.

At the same time the first word mentioned in the 'What you don't like' section in the Official Review is 'Mediocre'. I would interpret mediocre as underpowered but yes it can be a wrong conclusion to draw. It may be less on torque or other factors but I could think of underpowered.

So, the answer to your question is that I simply trusted the review and I did my own interpretation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
How do you say Tiago has underpowered engine? Hope you are not comparing it with Polo GTI. For its segment and price point it has got a proper engine specification.
KK
One more point I specifically want to mention that I promised to myself that I won't get influenced by the thought of my vote getting waste even if I can see the clear trend of who is winning. Non VFM car has 0% chance of winning despite that I voted for Crysta.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 14:56   #127
BHPian

Ford Endeavor is my choice , it has the aura of invoking a desirability which others do not. The whole package is pretty well thought out and has a great road presence.
mazda4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 14:57   #128
BHPian

Voted for Tiago, the car looks contemporary with long feature list, lot of work was done to popularize it, Tata has really stepped up with this iteration and i had none other than tiago to vote for, for 2016.
sriramr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 14:57   #129
BHPian

I have voted for the V Cross.

This is an impressive vehicle in an almost uncharted territory. We have had some vehicle in this category. All of them had a utilitarian bent and appeared to be half hearted attempts.

While in 2016, this is just a dot on the radar, this could well be a Santro/XUV5OO like moment for Isuzu.

Yes, Tiago is a moment of resurrection for Tata. This car is doing what Indica was supposed to do in the first place. It make all kind of sense to be CoTY from the a business manager's point of view.

I have voted for D-Max Vcross because this is the most awesome mass market thing in the 2016.

Last edited by atnyia : 8th December 2016 at 14:59.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 15:03   #130
BHPian

Endeavour and tiago are my top two choices but my vote goes to Tata Tiago for the reasons below, even though i am not likely to buy it but likely to buy the Endeavour:
1. Tiago offers a lot more than the competition and redefines what we should expect from Tata hereon at the same time being budget friendly for most of the car buyers. I am sure if priced well, Hexa will also become car of the year in 2017 and this is the kind of confidence the new age Tatas are gaining in my mind thanks to the Tiago.
2. I am likely to replace my Pajero Sport with Endeavour in 2017 but at 37-38 L for 3.2 AT, IMHO it doesnt offer great value for money as a product. Being slightly better than the competition is the only reason to justify the purchase.
46TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 15:08   #131
BHPian

Rightfully so, I've voted for the Tata Tiago. Its the car I own, and voted it for the same reasons that I bought it. VFM for the price.

Its not much about the features as much as it is about the experience. Even a Renault Kwid offers VFM but that really feels like an economy class car. From the tires to rattles to interior.

Not so much with the Tiago
ashwinsaval is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 15:12   #132
BHPian

Voted for Tiago !

If a middle class family looking for a first car to buy with limited budget (the most common scenario in India) OR an upper class family looking for a second car for ladies/kids (the 2nd most common scenario in India), the options available in current market is plenty.

But they have to compromise on look/interiors or features of the car. Tiago is an all rounded package. Harman audio system is ice on the cake. Excellent product from TATA, well done. I believe TATA started catching the pulse of Indian market, way to go TATA.
EPMV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 15:29   #133
BHPian

Last year I had found it easy to vote.
This year I am not able to decide between Tiago and Innova Crysta.
I think I will sleep over it and then vote.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 15:43   #134
BHPian

Voted for Tiago as it is currently the most VFM product in the market in the hatch segment; well kitted with an excellent audio system!!
dheepak10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2016, 15:53   #135
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Brezza. This is a car that has bought volumes to Maruti, while is a reasonably VFM offering for the consumers. Good looking too.

The Elantra was a close second.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote