Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th December 2016, 16:40   #46
BHPian

Default Re: 0.75% discount for those who buy petrol and diesel using cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post

Also, I have seen average Joe opting for cashless transactions at fuel bunks for the first time, thanks to the 'not so transparent' marketing of 0.75% cashback by the government.

On a different note, I renewed health insurance policies (oriental insurance), amount summing up to 32000 INR yesterday. No cashback or discount as of now,despite the announcement of 8% discount by the honorable finance minister.
The average Joe is going to have a shock of his life when he comes to know of the surcharge(+ST) of 2.875 % that he is incurring to get a 0.75% discount I myself realized pretty late in the day that my card gives me refund on only the surcharge part and that the service tax part is still being paid by me

On your point on insurance renewals, I believe the announcement said that the discount is for buying new policies and not renewal. This, I believe, is made possible because they would be saving on the agent commission that they would otherwise have to pay. I might be wrong on this and would be glad to be corrected.
Mistakenguy is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 16:51   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistakenguy View Post
The average Joe is going to have a shock of his life when he comes to know of the surcharge(+ST) of 2.875 % that he is incurring to get a 0.75% discount I myself realized pretty late in the day that my card gives me refund on only the surcharge part and that the service tax part is still being paid by me
This has been discussed earlier. Some cards refund everything, while others refund only the surcharge.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 16:56   #48
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
So the conclusion is: Unless the bank provides surcharge waiver, one should stick to cash at fuel bunks.
You can still go cashless by using a debit card instead of credit card. No fuel surcharge on most debit cards.
Even for LIC insurance premium payment, no transaction fee when using debit cards.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 17:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
You can still go cashless by using a debit card instead of credit card. No fuel surcharge on most debit cards.
Even for LIC insurance premium payment, no transaction fee when using debit cards.
Though, percentage of debit cards having surcharge waiver is higher than that of credit cards, one needs to make sure that one has surcharge waiver on his cards. I, for instance, use two debit cards and unfortunately both the banks charge surcharge. I might use Paytm of any other mobile wallet to avail cashback. Also, they have much better customer service compared to banking sector in case cashback is not credited.
bhavik.1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 11:45   #50
BHPian

There is a promo going on from AMEX which is giving 3% discount on petrol/diesel from participating petrol stations.
ayankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 10:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Which is the third type of card you are referring to ? Is it a credit card or debit card? Or are you referring to those fuel credit cards which have 2.5% waiver on fuel surcharge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Which is the third type of card you are referring to ? Is it a credit card or debit card? Or are you referring to those fuel credit cards which have 2.5% waiver on fuel surcharge?
Me too have the same question. Which is the third card? Those cards Exists! Those are normal cards as well! First two cards are available with me, whereas the third card is available with most of my colleagues. As per my communication with the bank, It seems they are even unaware about this.

Our company employees are maintaining salary accounts from Federal Bank. After demonetization, I filled petrol with my debit card for 2000/- and was charged applicable surcharge + service tax. The extra charged amount was not credited to my account. To avoid the surcharge, i filled petrol with my credit card next time, which has a surcharge waiver feature. For this transaction, collected surcharge was credit back after -5 days, but the service tax was not credited back.

During a casual discussion with my colleagues, they confirmed that they are not being charged a single rupee as surcharge on their debit cards. We all are maintaining the salary account at the same bank and branch. They shared the statement and I personally checked those statements and confirmed that no surcharge was levied on their cards. Recently after the offer of .75%, they are receiving the exact .75% of transaction value as credits to their account, after 2 - 3 days.

Now i need to know, what's the difference with my card and theirs. So i contacted federal bank customer care. Executive has no clue about this and they assured that fuel surcharge is applicable to all cards. So, i asked them if there are any difference with Visa or Master? They ruled out that possibility as well. Since i know the practical side, i conveyed that the information provided by them is wrong and insisted in talking to their senior. They connected the call and he also don't have any clue and repeated the same answer and double confirmed that the surcharge is applicable and added that there is no such debit cards of federal bank that offer zero surcharge on petrol pumps. As per their rule, below is the surcharge rule for debit cards.

"In Point of Sales (POS) transactions by default, primary account is selected. POS transactions in Petrol pumps and Railways attract surcharges @ 2.50% of the amount of transaction or ₹10/- whichever is higher, will be debited from the customer later"

I couldn't believe, i talked to a Bank's customer care! No information served! It has to be noted that they are unaware of the .75% discount as well. Thinking about going the the branch in person. Will update if get any reliable information.
sujithsidhardha is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 10:49   #52
BHPian

Filled Rs.1000 worth of petrol at an HP petrol pump, using an ICICI- HP co-branded credit card. Besides the usual waive off on the surchage and the related service tax, Rs. 7.50 was credited back. Filled on 3rd, got the credit notification on the 6th. Also filled Rs. 3,800 worth of diesel on the 6th, will check on the 0.75% cash back after a few days
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 10:55   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Filled on 3rd, got the credit notification on the 6th. Also filled Rs. 3,800 worth of diesel on the 6th, will check on the 0.75% cash back after a few days
If I am not wrong, the 0.75% cashback is only applicable for transactions upto rs 2000. I filled petrol worth Rs. 2100 10 days ago, but never received the cashback.
Blue_Pearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 10:59   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pearl View Post
If I am not wrong, the 0.75% cashback is only applicable for transactions upto rs 2000. I filled petrol worth Rs. 2100 10 days ago, but never received the cashback.
That's sad. Not sure if it' worth filling twice, once for 2000 and then rest as full tank. Or maybe fill in one shot and ask the petrol pump guy to swipe twice.
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 11:02   #55
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Got the 0.75% cash back credited on the same day by HPCL, Old Airport road
Amex is still better. Unlike other cc, it does not add fuel surcharge and then show reversal of same minus service tax. It just showed the actual amount charged on the card. cash back of 3% credited a week later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pearl
Not correct. Filled 2499. got the 0.75% cash back

Last edited by rkg : 7th January 2017 at 11:15.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 11:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pearl View Post
I have filled petrol for 2.5k INR and received 0.75% back.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 11:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Received the surcharge credited back (a card/bank feature which was always there in my credit card) and 0.75% credited back (showing as a credit from the oil company in the card statement) for the last 2 fillips from Indian oil and Bharat petroleum.
Both transactions were above RS 2000.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 10:18   #58
BHPian

I got the 0.75% cashback first time today after using my HDFC Platinum Debit Card. There was no surcharge either.

I had previously used my CC (which has FSC waiver) but never got the 0.75% cashback.
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 18:33   #59
BHPian

Looks like cards won't be accepted at Petrol Bunks from midnight.

Petrol Bunks are protesting against the 1% surcharge that government charges for providing .75% cash back.

Saw couple of news channel flashing this news.

So tanked up both my cars couple of minutes back.
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 18:42   #60
Team-BHP Support

Yes this was on news in Bangalore also, tanked up the Thar and Tiger for the month. Hope they resolve this, but even as a consumer I feel this 1% charge being imposed is unfair, rather I would give off the .75% cash back.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote