Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th October 2006, 14:17   #31
BHPian

looks stunning!!

but fiat will need to brush up its after sales support and image before people are ready to shell out that kind of money (even 8L) for it!!

they can't count on just the die hard Fiat fans for all their new cars!!

assuming it is launched though, the Fiat line up would look like:

New Palio
Grande Punto
Linea
Petra??
Old 25th October 2006, 15:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Markiv,
the would be launching the new Petra soon after the New Palio.
And you forgot the Adventure.
BTW, to check out the new Palio or Petra, go to the fiat brazil site.
Cheers
Old 26th October 2006, 09:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Ahem !

Linea Thrust
Fiat is planning to launch its stunning all-new Grande Punto-based saloon the Linea in India by end-2007.

__________________________________________________ ____________

After a considerable lull, Fiat is on the warpath in India again. A new alliance with Tata, a shift to its new plant in Ranjangaon outside Pune, and a raft of new models; the plan looks good. Just as we had speculated back in September, the stunning Grande Punto-based Linea saloon (known internally as the D200) you see before you will be part of Fiat’s first salvo on its return to the Indian market.

And what a first attack it will be. This Corolla-sized saloon will be built on the award-winning Fiat Grande Punto platform and will come powered by probably the most advanced diesels around, and the real killer — Fiat and Tata are talking of a Rs 7 to 8 lakh price-tag !

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1538
Old 26th October 2006, 09:26   #34
BHPian

Default Lovely car-

The original design looks wonderful, I too will exchange my petra for this, provided it is as good all of you think it will be:-)
Old 26th October 2006, 14:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
After a considerable lull, Fiat is on the warpath in India again. A new alliance with Tata, a shift to its new plant in Ranjangaon outside Pune, and a raft of new models; the plan looks good. Just as we had speculated back in September, the stunning Grande Punto-based Linea saloon (known internally as the D200) you see before you will be part of Fiatís first salvo on its return to the Indian market.

And what a first attack it will be. This Corolla-sized saloon will be built on the award-winning Fiat Grande Punto platform and will come powered by probably the most advanced diesels around, and the real killer ó Fiat and Tata are talking of a Rs 7 to 8 lakh price-tag !

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1538
And to add to that -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACI
Fiat and Tata have announced ambitious plans to manufacture cars and engines under a new 50:50 joint venture between the two companies. Fiat's abandoned Ranjangaon plant will be revived as the production base for the new JV which will have an annual capacity of 100,000 cars and 250,000 engines.

The first product of the Fiat - Tata alliance will be the Grand Punto (pictured), a premium hatchback which is expected to be launched in the second half of 2007. The Grand Punto, which is 4030mm long, is expected to be shortened by 30mm so that it can comply with the new small car regulations and take advantage of an 8 percent excise saving.

Fiat is also planning a premium saloon (code D200) which is as big and spacious as the Toyota Corolla. The D200 is being developed on a modified Punto platform especially for emerging markets and India is likely to be a key production base for the saloon in the region.

Fiat and Tata will also produce the 1.3 Multi-jet diesel engine which will power the Grande Punto and the next-generation Indica (code: X1). The shareholder, licensing and other agreements are yet to be finalised but the MOU for Indian operations as well as a study for cooperation in Latin America suggest that this JV aims to maximise the strengths of both companies.

Source - http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1513
Cheers
Old 27th October 2006, 02:01   #36
BHPian

Looks too good to ignore. Petra can become my second car.

I think FIAT is funny. They make excellent cars and cant even market them.
Old 27th October 2006, 12:26   #37
BHPian

The Fiat Linea sure looks stunning,and means business, but one thing for sure is that its never gonna come in the pricerange specified.! a lesson long learnt in the indian automobile history.

A Car so good, with features of high end cars, will surely be in the Civic/Octavia range. And why not, when u get so much in a car, then it sure is worth the civic/Octavia range. ppl will surely pay up that amount if Fiat is geniune in their offerings.
Old 28th October 2006, 16:20   #38
Senior - BHPian

Does someone see Audi design cue-e's , even the Bulgarian beard is in place although not entirely prominent. However this looks stunning. With 1.9 JTD its going to rock.

Well 1.9 JTD if I am not mistaken has the same block as the Palio D, isn't it?
Old 28th October 2006, 17:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

great looking car. hopefully it will be here by end 2007.

9 L for a car this size and with a 1.9 Multijet sounds great. that and charateristic FIAT road manners will make the car a winner. This baby could be serious competition to Verna, Elantra and Octavia.
Old 28th October 2006, 18:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
Well 1.9 JTD if I am not mistaken has the same block as the Palio D, isn't it?
The Palio D uses an indirect injection engine of same displacement, the JTD is a common rail direct injection engine.
Old 30th October 2006, 09:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

All I can say is cheers:
Old 30th October 2006, 19:50   #42
BHPian

The gRande Punto at 5-7 lakhs would not sell much in India even though it looks great because :
1) Its a hatch, and
2) Its still a FIAT
In retrospect,I think it would be better if FIAT launches this sedan here first.Its a great prospect if launched at 7-8 L price tag.I think people would take time to warm to the idea of owning a Fiat,but it would be very difficult for them to ignore this car altogether.If and when the sales go up and the image of the company in the eyes of the common man improves,then would be the right time to take a risk and launch the Grande Punto hatch with that fabulous set of JTD engines.
Old 30th October 2006, 21:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Thats a stunner no doubt. If the Tata's back this one to the hilt, it could be a Fiat revolution. I might exchange my Petra for this one. LOL
And I thought, I wouldn't give up mine for long time. This one is a stunner. But for some reason, I didn't like the nose (front grill) job of this car. Gives a bit of dated look. May be there is nothing wrong with it and I am simply weird
Old 30th October 2006, 22:08   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
The Palio D uses an indirect injection engine of same displacement, the JTD is a common rail direct injection engine.
I was asking about the engine block not the head. I guess the Block is still the same, whats different is the head the JTD has the common rail head.
Old 30th October 2006, 22:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Now I have an Excellent option to upgrade to!

Cheers Fiat!
Closed Thread