Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th December 2016, 13:16   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Reversing: Which is the easiest & most difficult car?

A Related Thread (Blind Spots - New Cars, Road View and Driveability)

Would consider myself good at reversing. I can get a car into the tightest of spots. At one Great Escape event, Mahindra had a contest where participants had to reverse a Voyager through a track outlined with cones. I won it & got a scale model as the prize.

For design & safety reasons, the rearward view out of new cars will continue to deteriorate. It's a good thing that reversing cameras & parking sensors are becoming commonplace at the same time!

Meanwhile, check out this nutjob from Bhatinda (link to discussion):
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 15:10   #32
BHPian

I'm generally happy parking most of the sedans. However, I did have some or other issues with the list below:
1. Ambassador : Reversed into the garage wall projection. Bad assessment, 14 years of age and an impatient father waiting outside. Pure recipe for disaster.
2. Innova : Drove it once. No reverse cams. Was really tough to turn it around.
3. Safari : Not difficult, the mirrors are good. BUT, there's that huge spare wheel. I think a lot of people have the same issue with the Ecosport as well.
aqualeo2040 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2016, 16:00   #33
BHPian

I sometimes struggle to reverse my Duster, not because of the dimensions or visibility, but because of the pull type reverse gear - you have to pull up the notch and then put it into reverse. Occasionally, I end up slotting it into the first gear instead and have kissed a few parked bikes.
subuiyer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 04:19   #34
BHPian

There are two ideas to prevent minor reversing damages.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...EFDQ1ZBT21ZT1E
Jeeps have always had a rubber bush fixed on their bonnets. This was to rest it upon on the windshield. Some have fixed them on its rear and front bumpers. A pair at about ladder meeting its perpendicular C.

BMW once had a car's bumper made like a sandwich of rubber and metal. The rubber middle section would move inward upon impact and gradually release that energy into dampner pistons. See drawing.

Corvette stingray had an edition with a canvas top. It was totally waterproof.

It did not have a transparent plastic window at its rear end. In short, you could never back out anywhere.

Some rustic Russians suggested cutting out an opening using a sharp pencil.

Obviously a reliable method had to be found. So they created a periscope type of rear view mirror.

It had an angled long length mirror on its roof. This naturally got a wide angle view of the rear of the car. This was on the car roof like a misplaced spoiler. That light was reflected on to another mirror just inside the roof.

This mirror projected that light to your actual mirror.
This gave a very good situational awareness.

Naturally you had a problem. Do I look at my past as a wide angle cinema or at my future in HD.

Last edited by hangover : 27th December 2016 at 04:25.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 12:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i10 - quite easy. The rear is almost flat and I have never hit a wall/barrier while reversing. Just have to check before reversing in that there is no short post/tree stump etc , and be extra cautious if there is one. I don't have reverse cam/sensors. Also quite easy to parallel park.

P.S - one feature I really liked in a BMW 3 series (my senior colleague's car in US) is that whenever the car is put in reverse, the ORVMs flip down by some degrees to give you a view of the curbside and where your rear wheel is.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 14:52   #36
BHPian

Tata Nano - I found it effortless to reverse in this.. (the only effort was for the low speed steering inputs )

Hyundai Tucson - It's been 2 months since I have been driving this, and since I was graduating from a Nano, it was a bit difficult initially. But now with the 3 mirrors and the parking sensors, it's progressively become quite easy. But I dont think I could do it peacefully without the sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
While in the forward gears, some AMTs have the creep function, but while reversing, this jerky motion is difficult to handle.

Would love to hear experiences from the others.
Are AMTs significantly more difficult to reverse, especially if there is a slight slope while reversing into the parking spot? Would be interesting to hear a comparison between AMT and CVT in such a scenario. I need to decide on an automatic hatch soon, and my parking at home has a slight upward slope that one would need to reverse into. Any thoughts?

Thanks
kaushik60 is offline   Reply With Quote