Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th May 2017, 19:49   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as a Mahindra SUV in India

A detailed look at the upcoming G4 Rexton (Y400), which will be sold in India under the Mahindra banner (could be named XUV700) as a future Toyota Fortuner rival.

RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 20:31   #32
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as a Mahindra SUV in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Wonder if it was designed as a 5 seater. Then localisation (of thought and implementation = juggadry) added 2 more seats.

Regards
Sutripta
I seriously don't understand the obsession with 7 seater vehicles. How often do 7 people actually travel in the same vehicle. Even if I did buy a vehicle with 7 seats, I remove the rear 2 seats for a bigger boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
I think Mahindra should do a NEXA here.
They should use the name REXTON as a sub brand like NEXA.

[/quote]SsangYong. the brand had Chinese written all over it. People were alien to this brand along with its high price. [/quote]
Ssangyong is a Korean brand.
Couldn't make decent numbers.

Quote:
Also should get rid of the name Mahindra from the car, if they are keeping the monogram.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I just hope that when they say fortuner rival, its not just in terms of the price for the vehicle, but the reliability and capability as well. Something which is a walk ahead of the XUV and not a step back
The old Rexton was priced quite competitively. Looked a bit odd but was well built. It still failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is the right way forward. SsangYong has no brand value to speak of in India.
I don't think it had any brand value anywhere outside Korea. I have only seen a few Ssangyong's in Singapore and UK.

Quote:
Besides, the troublesome Rexton actually left it with negative equity here.

Mahindra should definitely work on the reliability & after-sales support though. The Rexton was / is a nightmare to own.
The main issue was the Automatic gearbox from what I've read. Any other issues?
Most dealers don't stock parts so accident repair is always an issue with the Rexton.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:18   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

NDTV Auto's SVP has plenty of good things to say about the G4 Rexton (aka Mahindra XUV700).

Quote:
What is also great about the car’s looks, is that unlike past SsangYongs which had this quirky, Korean feel to their design, this one is very international, and the car immediately gives off a better finish and build quality too. The shut lines and paint job on the Y400 instantly impress.

The unit makes 183 bhp and puts out 420 Nm of peak torque. That torque kicks in as low as 1600 rpm and carries through to 2600 rpm. This affords you better driveability and allows the Mercedes-Benz sourced 7-speed auto transmission to be efficient and responsive. Even within minutes of getting behind the wheel of this car – the difference is like chalk and cheese. The first generation Rexton had managed to get reasonably refined, but still carried a lot of the clunky feel ascribed to previous generation SUVs. What’s really nice is to see is that everything that was lacking on that car seems to have been methodically addressed whilst developing the new generation.

At cruising speeds, the new Rexton will simply glide along the tarmac, and will again surprise you by its lack of pitch or roll. The fact that there is no bounce improves on-board comfort, and also means tighter cornering as well as better steering response. You definitely do not get a sense of the car’s bulk or its 4850 mm length, unlike how you would on say a Fortuner – which is shorter at 4795 mm and yet feels bulkier. The 2.2 diesel engine is good for the role, and does the job well. This despite the fact that it really is simply an upgraded version of the previous one. It has overcome the slightly wheezy quality that it used to have on that last Rexton W, and also does not run of breath at speeds over 120 kmph. The Rexton has the 4Tronic four-wheel drive system – another carryover from the Rexton W, but completely recalibrated.
Next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as a Mahindra SUV in India-newssangyongrexton_827x510_51495416663.jpg

Next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as a Mahindra SUV in India-newssangyongrexton_827x510_61495417585.jpg

Next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as a Mahindra SUV in India-newssangyongrexton_827x510_81495416241.jpg

Next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as a Mahindra SUV in India-newssangyongrexton_827x510_71495417540.jpg

Next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as a Mahindra SUV in India-newssangyongrexton_827x510_41495417665.jpg

Next-gen SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as a Mahindra SUV in India-newssangyongrexton_827x510_41495416315.jpg

Full review at NDTV Auto
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:31   #34
BHPian

Here is ACI first drive review:-

scarlet.fever is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I seriously don't understand the obsession with 7 seater vehicles. How often do 7 people actually travel in the same vehicle. Even if I did buy a vehicle with 7 seats, I remove the rear 2 seats for a bigger boot.
Not really true Pedro. I have a XUV and IMHO the best part of owning it is the +2 seats. The invites I used to receive from my folks for social functions more than tripled after I bought it. Not because everyone wants to hike a free ride, but because there are several people who love to arrive in a grand function along with their family members / friends. Therefor, the best part of owning a 7-seater is, these cars come gossip-equipped .

The XUV is of course, not a 7-seater tourer due to its limited boot space with all seats up.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 22nd May 2017 at 12:10.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote