Team-BHP - VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/183093-vw-polo-ameo-vento-skoda-rapid-might-soon-get-16-wheels.html)

Seems like the trio of cars based on the Polo - the Polo hatch, the Ameo compact sedan, and the Vento sedan are in line for an upgrade to 16-inch rims.

Facebook's resident ScoopMeister recently spotted a convoy of Volkswagen test cars, which included a couple of Ameos, a Polo leading the pack with a Skoda Rapid in the middle, all shod with 16-inch PORTAGO wheels.

The Ameo twins in the convoy, along with the Polo, seem to share the same upgraded rims.

The Rapid, however, looks like it's having a completely different alloy wheel pattern than the rest.

Spy video - https://www.facebook.com/ScoopMeiste...type=2&theater

Screenshots:

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-1.jpg

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-2.jpg

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-4.jpg

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-5.jpg

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-6.jpg

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-7.jpg

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-8.jpg

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-9.jpg

Ok so what is the plan VW? When will you decide that your offering is complete? This must be the 1000th upgrade on the Vento.

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels - posts moved to a new thread.

The design looks a tad uninspiring. I wish they give it the same wheels that the Polo made its international debut with - those were truly stunning!

VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-18rheh9m5vkvdjpg.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 4121528)
The design looks a tad uninspiring. I wish they give it the same wheels that the Polo made its international debut with - those were truly stunning!

Attachment 1591962

These look similar to the Navarra Alloys that came with Jetta. So, sourcing these won't be a problem.

Volkswagen could have made the Alloys on All-star Version as standard. Those are beautiful in real.

Aren't the alloys on that Polo (in pic) the same design that came with the previous-gen Superb and Octavia (Laura in India)?

I've heard plenty call that design boring and uninspired too. Opinions vary of course.

Vento and Polo are becoming the pulsars of the Volkswagen. I don't get so many iterations of the same car apart from the reasoning that "it sells, so let's carry on with minor tweaks."
What's next? Spelling changes on the back?

I have seen the cars and I would say that they look substantially better than the current ones in terms of stance. The wheel well looks more filled up too, giving it a more complete and somewhat German tuner look. The alloys are beautiful in real life, the pictures or video dont do justice to how good the wheels are. It'll a good upgrade for current VW owners.
Attaching a few pics of the same wheels fitted on the Polo Sedan GT, sold in Russia, with a 1.4 TSI, 125PS, 6MT/7DSG.

More than the design, I'm concerned about the size - 16" with presumably lower profile tyres, and hence reduced overall sidewall height. Improves the looks no doubt, but what about ride quality?

I feel Indian roads simply aren't ready for such large(r) rims + low(er) profile tyres combo on mainstream cars. Just ask Toyota!

Hyundai made the move to 16" rims (& low profile 195/55 R16 tyres) on the Sportz(O) & above variants of the i20, while retaining 14" rims (with high profile 185/70 R14 tyres) on the lower variants. I think this has resulted in Hyundai being forced to replace the suspension bushes with tougher ones on the i20s with 16" rims. The i20 Active's base model gets 185/65 R15 tyres. I think 185/65 R15 or 195/60 R15 is the best overall size for a car like the i20/Active.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao (Post 4121541)
Aren't the alloys on that Polo (in pic) the same design that came with the previous-gen Superb and Octavia (Laura in India)?

Are you referring to this? These are different.

I agree with RSR.
Even the stock 14" rims on my Polo need carefull handling, and hitting a un avoidable stone or pothole while doing 80-100 on the highway damages them.
I tried different sized tyres and just shifted to 185/70R14 from stock 175/70R14. The best ride I found was on 175/80R14 which I borrowed from a Tata super Ace, but as they are not rated for high speed, and available only in tube type I finalised on 185/70.

Rahul

185/70 R14 is a superb size for many B & C segment cars in India (as long as it fits into the wheel wells without fouling). I don't understand why this isn't a more popular stock size for manufacturers. :confused:

The French (who understand ride quality better than anyone else) put in 185/70 R14 tyres on the Renault Logan, and Mahindra were wise to retain this size on the Verito & Vibe. This does play its part in the magic carpet ride quality of the Logan/Verito/Vibe.

I'm planning to switch to 185/70 R14 (preferably Michelin) tyres on my previous gen. i20 after the stock 185/65 R14 Apollos get worn out. :)

This is a strange move by VW. Although this new tweak (and the scores that followed it in the past) do convey how serious they are about selling the Polo in India, this has to be the dumbest.

Firstly, this cannot be done by just swapping off the alloys/tyres with new ones, it involves atleast the following to contain the impact:
1. ABS tuning
2. ESP tuning
3. Suspension modification (to handle the added stresses)
4. Ride testing (tuning for ride comfort/handling)
5. Reliability testing (wrt. our conditions)
6. Supply chain adjustment (for the new alloys/tyres while ensuring steady supply of the older alloys for existing vehicles)
7. Re-homologation due to the above changes? (not sure about this one)

And it raises a question - towards what benefit? Just eye-candy? So that when a potential customer sees one in the showroom, it'll be another reason to sway him/her away from an i20 (top-end with R16 alloys)!?

As a Polo GT TSI owner I feel this change is really stupid and would have the below disadvantages:
1. Reliability
2. Reliability
3. Reliability
4. Reduced mileage due to the larger rolling resistance (although the upcoming GT tweak with the slight power bump may negate/reduce this effect)
5. Increased maintenance costs: the R16 tyres

What VW should do instead to make the Polo GT TSI a better car:
1. Add rear disc brakes
2. Provide HID projector-based headlamps
3. Steering wheel with Paddle shifts
4. Suspension upgrade to Bilsteins (this is optional)

Are you reading this VW?

PS: The current Polo petrol is way too under-powered so I really don't understand how 16" wheels would matter. But the Vento and Polo Diesels/GT models I guess are more relevant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 4121819)
185/70 R14 is a superb size for many B & C segment cars in India (as long as it fits into the wheel wells without fouling). I don't understand why this isn't a more popular stock size for manufacturers. :confused:

The French (who understand ride quality better than anyone else) put in 185/70 R14 tyres on the Renault Logan, and Mahindra were wise to retain this size on the Verito & Vibe. This does play its part in the magic carpet ride quality of the Logan/Verito/Vibe.

I'm planning to switch to 185/70 R14 (preferably Michelin) tyres on my previous gen. i20 after the stock 185/65 R14 Apollos get worn out. :)

Unfortunately, too many buyers (and moronic salesmen) do not understand such nuances and it just becomes a situation where a typical buyer sees bigger wheels as a plus point just because 16 is higher than 15. So manufacturers are forced to follow once one company introduces 16 inch wheels and markets it as a USP. If even a conservative company like Toyota went down that road, that speaks volumes about what the environment is like.

Of course, they could stick to the optimum configuration and instead brief customers on the benefits but few dare to go down that road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4120205)
Seems like the trio of cars based on the Polo - the Polo hatch, the Ameo compact sedan, and the Vento sedan are in line for an upgrade to 16-inch rims.
Attachment 1591326[/center]

The same Alloys were also seen on impending Vento Highline Plus Variant - to be launched soon.
VW Polo, Ameo, Vento & Skoda Rapid might soon get 16" wheels-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483617506.814898.jpg