Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th January 2017, 16:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Has Rolls-Royce lost its brand value & prestige?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
The Rolls-Royce wouldnt have survived selling only to those 'worthy' of it. Not just because royalty were dwindling, but because of various anti-discriminatory laws. Governments worldwide would have force closed them if they refuse to sell their cars to someone whom they consider 'not worthy'. Especially in the US, the land of capitalism, if they try to sell after background checks, the govt would have bankrupted them.
I know Ferrari still does this in the US - ie discriminate against customers. They claim some logic and I've read about several lawsuits, buy they are able to still do it.
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 16:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I know Ferrari still does this in the US - ie discriminate against customers. They claim some logic and I've read about several lawsuits, buy they are able to still do it.
They could do this only for limited edition models for loyal customers. It is treated as made by contract, legally. They are not allowed to sell their cars to the 'chosen few', in case of mass produced cars. Even for limited edition models, allotment based on class classification is impossible in the US. They cannot deny you a car just because you are a commoner, like the Rolls Royce did in the past.

Last edited by deerhunter : 15th January 2017 at 16:59.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 21:05   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

One reason would be that the newer cars (designs) took away the character that was associated with these marquees. New technology is good & required, but things like Square or sweptback headlights or anything that goes against what took all these decades to develop pretty much kill it.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 01:13   #19

If there has ever been a competition for the saddest Rolls Royce ever, the hands down winner will be the poor Phantom with registeration number DL-2-FHE-333. First the Mobile store gimmick, then the Leena Maria scam and finally the sad sad death in Canara bank yard. And somewhere in between, this happened.
Has Rolls-Royce lost its brand value & prestige?-maxresdefault-2.jpg

bunch of Numbskull idiots molesting a Beautiful automobile, just to show off. I am aware that they might have rented the Roller for that video shoot for the much required "rap bling" or "swag", but the sheer disrespect shown towards the machine brings us to one word- Class. It requires class to appreciate its value and beauty. No amount of money can buy you class or culture. It comes from within. I think this is what V12 meant by diminishing standards of customers.

PS: For all those fortune souls who haven't watched the " Swag" video 'Londa Gujjar Ka' in YouTube, consider yourself lucky. Life has been very fair to you, up until now!
Astraholic is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 10:12   #20
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraholic View Post
If there has ever been a competition for the saddest Rolls Royce ever, the hands down winner will be the poor Phantom with registeration number DL-2-FHE-333. First the Mobile store gimmick, then the Leena Maria scam and finally the sad sad death in Canara bank yard. And somewhere in between, this happened.
Not only this RR Phantom, the Mitsubishi Evo-X in the pic was also a part of the Leena Maria Paul garage.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 16:31   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Has Rolls-Royce lost its brand value & prestige?

The answer isn't as simple and I wouldn't necessarily agree that 'Brand Rolls Royce' has lost its value. All of the points in the opening post (increased sales, owners with a suspicious background, online listings, taxi registrations etc.) apply to Ferraris also. But a Ferrari is still a Ferrari, right?

Therefore, in brand value, I think a Rolls-Royce is still a Rolls-Royce.

In fact, compared to the olden days, things have actually improved. The earlier Rolls (especially in the 80s) were honestly a piece of junk. Today, thanks to BMW, Rolls Royce cars are better engineered than ever.

That said, the irony for Rolls Royce is that cheaper competitors are actually superior. The W222 S-Class is better than anything Rolls Royce makes, be it in terms of technology, performance, equipment or any other parameter. Because of its volume sales, Mercedes is able to invest more in the S-Class, and bring out newer generations, much faster than low-volume Rolls.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote