Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th January 2017, 14:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Ford India gets flak on Twitter for sexist poll. EDIT: Ford deletes it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
And while this sounds innocuous and harmless, look at how it extends .. the passenger sun visor in cars usually has a vanity mirror. "Husband drives, wife checks her makeup in the mirror" is an interesting stereotype eh. Why shouldn't the driver side visor have a mirror too? Nobody is advocating checking makeup while driving of course.
If mirror was provided on the driver side too, it would give the provision to the driver to check whatever (makeup, sunscreen, beard, moustache) he/she wants to check on his/her face, while the vehicle is in motion. Someday it may end up like the case when a coffee company was sued for not writing on the cup that the content can be hot. So ideally mirrors should be provided on both sides with written warning , DO NOT USE WHEN DRIVING. Why go to such lengths, when one can simply save cost by not providing mirror on the driver side.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 17th January 2017 at 04:53. Reason: Corrected typo.
F150 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:08   #17
BHPian

Default re: Ford India gets flak on Twitter for sexist poll. EDIT: Ford deletes it!

How the heck is this sexist?

If certain people find this uninspiring tweet to be offensive or sexist, then I am offended by their discriminatory behaviour against boring people.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 15th January 2017 at 15:09.
ashwin489 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:18   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
How the heck is this sexist?
Please show the twitter message to women you know, and ask whether they think it is sexist.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:24   #19
BHPian

Unhappy re: Ford India gets flak on Twitter for sexist poll. EDIT: Ford deletes it!

The concept of "good manners" always implies that a man should be courteous and give preference to women and older people in general, and be considerate towards novices and newcomers.

There is nothing sexist in that.

If this Ford tweet is stretched to be sexist or discriminatory, then the Constitution of India should be next on the list for its affirmative discrimination in favour of women.
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
The concept of "good manners" always implies that a man should be courteous and give preference to women and older people in general, and be considerate towards novices and newcomers.

There is nothing sexist in that.

If this Ford tweet is stretched to be sexist or discriminatory, then the Constitution of India should be next on the list for its affirmative discrimination in favour of women.
The good manners that you are talking about is chivalry. It is not the same when someone considers women to have lesser capabilities.

Affirmative action is to give equal opportunities to people who are in unequal circumstances. It is not the same situation as in this tweet. Here licensed drivers, both men and women, are not considered as equals. It generalises women drivers as less capable than men.

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2017 at 10:48. Reason: Typo
deerhunter is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Ford is being sexist (and ageist) in assuming that elderly people and women are, by default, poor drivers, and as a class need special attention when on the road.
Just want to add my opinion here. I don't think Ford is assuming drivers referenced to be poor drivers. Slow drivers? Yes, but slow doesn't mean poor. Or does it? There are times when I am driving/riding and I am momentarily lost in thoughts and fail to realise that I am going slower than the traffic around me. And yes, then these three things do happen. Either I am honked at, overtaken or the vehicle behind me waits for me to pick up speed.

I am neither a woman, elderly nor learning to drive. So, this is indeed a case of sexism where Ford assumes men are perfect drivers who will never be followed.

Further, why would anyone honk at someone moving with the pace of traffic, the driver might as well be a monkey.

This isn't sexist. This is plain stupid.

On the other hand though, what Ford is saying isn't wrong. They are merely stating fact. That is what people do. Why is stating fact sexist? When median or sidewalk is painted black and white, does that mean we are sub-consciously segregating white and black?

It would make sense if Ford follows up on this tweet with another one to tell everyone that third option is correct one no matter whom you are following. It is not about selecting the right answer, there is only one right answer for every question.
ksameer1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:42   #22
Team-BHP Support

Some more fodder. Yes it's a controversial post and is a PR blunder. As PR you shouldn't get into controversy. So ofcourse this needs to be taken down or corrective action needed. This is because it is controversial and people will look at it differently as is the case in this thread.

Secondly, Ford has clearly put it as a poll and not claimed anything. They have not written what men think when they see women/L board people driving. The word used is what do "people" think. Right use of words. Only issue is that they singled out 3 categories of drivers which is where people are taking objection.

IMO and I'm going against the tide and yes most likely women don't think this way but this is an issue on the roads and it's well known and accepted by women and men alike. Women do crib that they are bullied on the roads and men know they do this as well. Not all but this is a reality, sadly.

Rather than blame Ford for being sexist in this post, they should be looking at Ford to address this situation some CSR initiative. If at all, this poll should point that this is an issue on our roads and it needs to be fixed!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th January 2017 at 15:59.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 15:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Ford didn't use the word Men, so aren't we presuming that Women are not included in the first category of people who are driving behind the three other categories defined by Ford?
That would certainly be wrong because I come across just as many Women as Men drivers who honk unnecessarily and relentlessly!
safari_lover is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 16:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Damn, sensitive people can find anything to get offended, it seems! It's a damn publicity poll, Ford is not denying women and old people the right to buy their cars.

I find this high handed sensorship that 'Ford should remove this!' etc more troublesome than their PR blunder.

EDIT: So far it is only 16 replies on that tweet. Where is the 'flak' it is supposed to be receiving?

Last edited by ani_meher : 15th January 2017 at 16:07.
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 16:07   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What also makes it offensive are the poll options - why does it have to imply that one has to behave differently? I maintain a safe gap from the car in front, irrespective of who is driving it.

So, why isn't there a poll option that states 'not differently'?

This is such an incredibly stupid poll that I'm shocked it comes from a brand like Ford which is otherwise known for being a master of online brand management.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 16:10   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is such an incredibly stupid poll that I'm shocked it comes from a brand like Ford which is otherwise known for being a master of online brand management.
Not the first time with Ford. Remember this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...employees.html
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 16:29   #27
Zed
BHPian

Sexism, Chivalry aside - the broader question is do drivers know how to react to a slower moving car that is ahead of them? The overwhelming tenedency is to honk until the 'offending' car speeds up or moves out of the way. Or to overtake - oncoming traffic / insufficient space are only challenges and not barriers. The option of adjusting ones pace to accomodate the slower moving car does not even cross the mind of most motorist. I am sure there are exceptions to this generalization withinin and outside this forum
Zed is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 16:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ford is being sexist (and ageist) in assuming that elderly people and women are, by default, poor drivers, and as a class need special attention when on the road.

That is "as soon as you see an aged or a woman driver, assume that they will drive like they have an L board"
In my view, the tweet assumes nothing of this sort. It doesn't ask people to drive differently or assume anything about women/elderly/learners.

Only thing I can accuse the tweet of assuming is that it assumes "people" always behave differently with women/elderly/learners. So, in my view, the only blunder here is not adding another option saying "Do not behave any differently".

Last edited by StarrySky : 15th January 2017 at 16:33.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 16:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
If statistical analysis is done on the type of slow drivers and if the results are classified in to the categories mentioned in the post , 1. Learners 2. Elderly 3. Women and 4. People who prefer to drive slow, would it still be sexist ?
Unfortunately that is the world we live in. Some statements cannot be made in public even if factually correct because it is offensive to certain groups.

I'm surprised that none of the social justice warriors here have taken up the case of the elderly here. Discrimination by sex appears to be a hot topic. Age, perhaps not as much.
greenhorn is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2017, 17:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Stereotyping based on gender is sexism.
I'm sorry, not denying what you said but the stupidity in the tweet is confusing enough and various meanings can be deciphered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post

If certain people find this uninspiring tweet to be offensive or sexist, then I am offended by their discriminatory behaviour against boring people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post

The fact that many are even questioning whether this tweet is sexist or not shows the whole Indian social set-up. Sexism is ingrained so deep in our psyche that we no longer are able to identify sexism when it occurs.
Quote:
That is sexist behavior yes.

That is "as soon as you see an aged or a woman driver, assume that they will drive like they have an L board"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post

Further, why would anyone honk at someone moving with the pace of traffic, the driver might as well be a monkey.

This isn't sexist. This is plain stupid.

The tweet is stupid, confusing and poorly worded .

like question along with options, (on a lighter note)

How do people behave? ( assuming all human beings legal enough to drive)

following women - honk repeatedly / overtake drive fast / patiently wait

depends;

as a man - why am I following her?

a) If I'm stalking her, no honking will patiently wait

b) If she just happens to be in front of me and if she has her saree / dupatta halfway out of the door being the good gentle man I am I will honk repeatedly and bring it to her attention and save her dress from getting ruined.

c) If not, I would overtake her and blast off like the schumacher I am, unless she is a schumacher herself. Or that she has a faster car or unless I have a Mustang because she wont buy one after reading this tweet.

d) My wife wont appreciate me following random women on the street so I shall slow down and let another gentleman or take up the space between me and the concerned woman with whom I swear I have nothing to do.

following elderly -

- Can't decide because the right indicator is on since the past 5 kilometers and now I'm curious to see where grandpa / granny really wants to turn.

People learning to drive -

- Definitely honking, along with lane-cutting, surprise animal/pedestrian jumping, sudden braking, angry staring and abuse hurling. How else will he / she be prepared to drive on our roads? I'm strict as far as education is concerned. Also it is my duty to inform him/her that the road is not his / her family property

To quote the great George Carlin " Have you ever noticed that any one driving slower than you is a moron and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote