Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th January 2017, 22:17   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford India gets flak on Twitter for sexist poll. EDIT: Ford deletes it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
I think it would be better if you stop selectively quoting my posts. Even in the previous post I have been strictly speaking about attitude of drivers in general. But the selective quote seems to suggest that I am blaming a particular gender or age. I am clearly saying that everyone on the road is hostile to each other. When it comes to women and elderly, the roads are even more hostile to them This fact cannot be ignored.
First, I quoted only a part of your post because that was the bit I was responding to, and it's in line with forum policy 'to quote only parts of the post being responded to'. Also, I picked up the question part in your second post intentionally to avoid making it look like I'm drawing unintended conclusions. Any assumption that it was done with the intent to twist your POV is imaginary on your part.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that it's an attitude problem, and it's the attitude that needs fixing. If we treat all road users respectfully, that will include women and elderly by default, no separate/targeted initiative needed.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 16th January 2017 at 22:41.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 06:50   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Ford India gets flak on Twitter for sexist poll. EDIT: Ford deletes it!

Most sales/marketing departments of various firms employ people to look after social media nowadays. This tweet, most probably, can be attributed to such morons who cannot differentiate between making comments or jokes at a personal level and when making them on behalf of an organisation.
This malaise runs deep in our society and you can find lot of people trying their street-level 'smarts' in situations where better judgement is required.
Alfresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 08:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
Most sales/marketing departments of various firms employ people to look after social media nowadays. This tweet, most probably, can be attributed to such morons who cannot differentiate between making comments or jokes at a personal level and when making them on behalf of an organisation.

This malaise runs deep in our society and you can find lot of people trying their street-level 'smarts' in situations where better judgement is required.

Social Media is looked by agencies or other people. Sometimes it's the client who asks for quirky things to make their brand seem cool & go viral. Sometimes it's the person who generates their content who messes up. Check the image below, happened a year ago! I messaged the brand and they took it down.

Ford India gets flak on Twitter for sexist poll. EDIT: Ford deletes it!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1484621296.789870.jpg
GranvilleDsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 08:47   #64
BHPian

I don't care if the post is sexist or stereotypical.
As far as older people are concerned, they need to renew their license every 5 years post 50. The candidates who are vulnerable should be denied the license.

I think this poll was aimed at youngsters and the options throw a wider picture at our behaviour. I'm 20 years old and in my opinion, 18-22 constitutes the worst set of drivers percentage wise. We are restless, impatient and take a bit too much of risk. Honestly, this needs to change!

As far as Ford is concerned, they got their fair share of publicity. Enough said.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 09:33   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How is it sexist against women? Shouldn't it be stereotyping guys? It's the guys who honk and even cabbies get irritated when they see a slower car in front and when they realise there's a women driving.

Ford India isn't saying anything sexist unless I am reading this all wrong.
I completely agree with you.

If read properly, the tweet says, Women, Elderly people OR People learning to drive.

Let's think about this for a minute here. Isn't this the truth??

Wether we admit it or not, Every single time that we see an individual in any of the above three categories in front of us, there is an inadvertent smirk. It's the truth.

In my humble opinion, this isn't sexist at all, infact if anything, this is a call-out to sexual stereotyping!

Just because there is a woman driving, she cannot be categorized/clubbed in the same league as learners or old people.
SSarkar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 11:30   #66
BHPian

Wow, we get worked up with everything these days! Maybe the message was not well written but to loathe Ford because of this and say never buying a car from you - simply amazing!

Why not look into our own behavior though? The question seems bang on the point - I mean I am wary of L Boards on the road, not so the women folk. It's more like whenever you see someone driving bad, you just want to get away as far as possible from them.
I hate honking and only use when I see sense some risk in front of me. Bad driving cuts across all sections of the society - be it, sex, caste, creed, religion, nationality!
pratyush6 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 14:06   #67
BHPian

In Gurgaon, it is like get out of the way of women. One encounters many women driving Scoropios, XUV, Innovas etc. - and very often rash.

On another note, there is nothing sexist in the tweet. Women are given respect on road - typically - around the world. And there is nothing wrong in expecting the same here.
5kmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 14:32   #68
BHPian

Seems like "There's no Country for old men" and women drivers in India. I can personally remember experiences where I have seen women drivers drive impeccably well and even then biased against and smirked at. People especially auto drivers go out of their way to be extra obnoxious around women drivers. Its more of a conditioned behaviour nowadays to expect women and elder people to drive slower or worse, that people don't even give the benefit of the doubt to such drivers. Even slowness or cautiousness is frowned upon and met with the foulest of demeanours and hand gestures. Appreciate that ford tried to highlight this issue but appalled at their lack of diplomacy and tact.
Chuckster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 17:07   #69
BHPian

Political correctness is scaling new heights of late. It has become difficult to say something without getting somebody or the other offended. Why can't people accept a joke and move on? Why waste time and energy on stuff that do not matter at all?
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 17:13   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Political correctness is scaling new heights of late. It has become difficult to say something without getting somebody or the other offended. Why can't people accept a joke and move on? Why waste time and energy on stuff that do not matter at all?
This isn't political correctness as much as it is a matter of basic politeness, and yeah, of civic sense.

Anyway, Ford has apologised and deleted that tweet.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 17:21   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
Sir, I work in the marketing/advertising industry and I can assure you that all the posts/tweets, heck even replies to comments from the official account are made ONLY after we get a nod from the company's marketing department

Someone at Ford was clearly not in their senses while approving this post.
Impala59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 09:42   #72
BHPian

It's not just Ford which is sexist. I have seen reviews on Team BHP which often reinforce stereotypes of women as being incompetent drivers or non-drivers. This includes how women will be pleased or displeased about the presence or lack of a vanity mirror or how a woman would be pleased with the availability of the AT variant. I guess a lack of women on this forum doesn't help either. Casual sexism is kind of ingrained in our daily lives.
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 11:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

This thread is really an eye-opener on why its often said that we are a hypocritical society.

I want a definitive answer from the geniuses to enlighten me that MAINLY for whom the vanity mirror is provided in sun-visor. As soon as the reply is given I will say that the person replying is a Sexist.

Come to think off it this whole T-Bhp is stereotyped towards all the manufacturers Skoda VW - Poor A.S.S. and not so reliable, Tata - Unreliable, Not so high desirability factor, Fiat - Zero resale, etc etc.

I knew that its a matter of time before someone claims victory by mentioning that Ford has deleted the tweet, they did it simply not to be involved in unwanted controversy (they are not in Movie business in India) and its a smart strategy to follow rather than devoting their resources at something non-essential. Its actual victory for that rival who started the controversy.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 13:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
whole T-Bhp is stereotyped towards all the manufacturers Skoda VW - Poor A.S.S. and not so reliable, Tata - Unreliable, Not so high desirability factor, Fiat - Zero resale, etc etc.....
You demolished your own argument with that one presumptuous word.

One, people who have spent hard earned money judge the product and service received, so I'm not sure how that qualifies as stereotyping. As for people without first-hand experiences, can you honestly say you've never formed an opinion about anything you haven't experienced first-hand?

Two, for your claims of the whole T-BHP community being against certain manufacturers, there are plenty of people on here who love their Skodas, VWs, Fiats and Tatas despite the widespread 'stereotyping', so that claim falls flat even within this relatively small sample set of ~100K people.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th January 2017 at 13:34.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 13:35   #75
Senior - BHPian

Similarly people have used their own experience about three classes of drivers after using their own experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You demolished your own argument with that one presumptuous word.

One, people who have spent hard earned money judge the product and service received, so I'm not sure how that qualifies as stereotyping. As for people without first-hand experiences, can you honestly say you've never formed an opinion about anything you haven't experienced first-hand? Nowhere close to universal, unless the word means something else in your dictionary.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote