Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th January 2017, 13:58   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ford India gets flak on Twitter for sexist poll. EDIT: Ford deletes it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
In Gurgaon, it is like get out of the way of women. One encounters many women driving Scoropios, XUV, Innovas etc. - and very often rash.
And all the men driving Scoropios, XUV, Innovas etc. are often very well-mannered? The essence of your statement is very similar to the tweet from Ford and on that note, it is very sexist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles
Women are given respect on road - typically - around the world. And there is nothing wrong in expecting the same here.
Why just women, nothing wrong in expecting that fellow drivers are given respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
It's not just Ford which is sexist. I have seen reviews on Team BHP which often reinforce stereotypes of women as being incompetent drivers or non-drivers. This includes how women will be pleased or displeased about the presence or lack of a vanity mirror or how a woman would be pleased with the availability of the AT variant. I guess a lack of women on this forum doesn't help either. Casual sexism is kind of ingrained in our daily lives.
True that! And many of us have reported such posts and those have been taken out also.

Last edited by vb-san : 18th January 2017 at 14:00.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 14:07   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford India gets flak on Twitter for sexist poll. EDIT: Ford deletes it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Similarly people have used their own experience about three classes of drivers after using their own experiences.
Everyone is entitled to their own set of opinions, nobody is entitled to their own set of facts.

'I had a bad experience with brand/gender/person X so I think they're crap at something (driving/making cars/you name it)' is a statement of opinion on part of the person holding it, and they're entitled to it as it fits their experience.

'I had a bad experience with brand/gender/person X so the entire brand/gender is crap at something (driving/making cars/you name it)' is an attempt at turning personal opinion into generalized universal fact.

Nobody minds the former, the latter is open to debate.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th January 2017 at 14:09.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 15:20   #78
BHPian

How I see the tweet as:

Option 1 (Honk repeatedly): Really Disrespectful
Option 2 (Overtake and Drive Fast): Level Up from disrespectful to douche since I think it's supposed to be about rash drivers (breaking the limit etc.)
Option 3 (Wait Patiently): Gentleman

Basically a harmless tweet to let few people see what the general public thinks behind the anonymity of internet. Will they be respectful in the way they are "told" to be usually or not.

It's a general thing now that you see and pick up on growing up. When you see a coach reserved for women, announcements saying you should give your seats to them and letting them go first generally in any situation it leads to this mindset of giving the female gender a preferential treatment instead of equality. How elderly were supposed to be treated has been mixed with women as well for some reason.

Last edited by Swarit19 : 18th January 2017 at 15:24.
Swarit19 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 17:15   #79
BHPian

Quote:
It's not just Ford which is sexist. I have seen reviews on Team BHP which often reinforce stereotypes of women as being incompetent drivers or non-drivers. This includes how women will be pleased or displeased about the presence or lack of a vanity mirror or how a woman would be pleased with the availability of the AT variant. I guess a lack of women on this forum doesn't help either. Casual sexism is kind of ingrained in our daily lives.
How is mentioning that a lady was pleased by the presence of a vanity mirror in the car being sexist? Different things matter to different people in a car. My car had a mirror with lights under the passenger visor and it has been much used and appreciated by most of the ladies who have occupied that seat. On the other hand very few guys who occupied the passenger seat ever found a use for it. IMO its similar to a hair brush - it matters more to girls than boys that they have a hair brush handy- and there is no harm in saying that.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 18:42   #80
BHPian

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong in polling this tweet.

Read the question carefully again.
How do PEOPLE behave when they are following women/elderly or people learning to drive?

They are not asking, what will YOU (The replier of this tweet) do. They are asking, generally How will PEOPLE behave when they are following A, B or C.

Now,
1. Are we saying this kind of scenario will never arise ? Definitely we all agree this scenario arises to everyone.
2. So, if we face this scenario, what will we do? There are three options, which are quite natural to any one person who faces this scenario.

In this tweet, they are NOT saying anything about how Women drive, How Elders drive OR how people learning driving drive. They are asking our (tweeters) opinion on what would be people's response, when they face this scenario.

All of us (all the tweeters and few in this forum) are interpreting that
A. women do not drive well,
B. Elders drive slowly,
C. People learning driving will irritate us etc. and deriving inferences about the tweet.

If we have to participate in this survey, we can state our observations on how people behave when they see these drivers. In my observation, I have seen some Morons will try to even irritate women drivers by taking their vehicle closer to Women driver's vehicles creating tension. (This option is not available though)

Are we saying these kind of behavior does not exist? If they exist, then, what is wrong in polling ?

I think this poll result should be handed over to concerned department(Traffic Police) and they need to take action on the results.

Last edited by gkveda : 18th January 2017 at 18:46.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 21:13   #81
BHPian

My personal opinion is that we have gone too far imagining intentions where there are none and go up in arms for a perceived cause which is inconsequential. Case in point : Ford's tweet. Ford has only pointed women and elderly drive slow. I feel it is a general observation and not something that is intended to question the abilities of women or demean them in anyway. If ford had said women are not capable then I would take offence. In many instances men are portrayed as bad listeners.. how many folks have expressed outrage at this statement. Not many and rightly so as this doesn't deserve folks getting into an all out war. Sometimes I think we make too much of random statements and over analyse things if it fuels existing stereotypes as it is easy to go with the tide and create noise and not always because it is the right thing to in a true sense..
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 21:57   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
How is mentioning that a lady was pleased by the presence of a vanity mirror in the car being sexist? Different things matter to different people in a car. My car had a mirror with lights under the passenger visor and it has been much used and appreciated by most of the ladies who have occupied that seat. On the other hand very few guys who occupied the passenger seat ever found a use for it. IMO its similar to a hair brush - it matters more to girls than boys that they have a hair brush handy- and there is no harm in saying that.
For starters I have seen guys abroad use the Vanity mirror to use their electric razors. Again, different strokes for different folks.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 22:37   #83
BHPian

Quote:
For starters I have seen guys abroad use the Vanity mirror to use their electric razors. Again, different strokes for different folks.
I am sure you have. Its about proportions not individual examples - out of 100 ladies how many are likely to use/appreciate the presence of a mirror/hairbrush vs 100 guys in a similar situation. Its indeed different strokes for different folks - to me that is not sexist AT ALL. Its just tastes and preferences.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 18:39   #84
BHPian

It's amply clear that this is a sexist tweet. The statement does not even warrant ambiguity as to it's intention of singling out women. There is no logical reason to interpret it as anything else.
Skye1592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 08:49   #85

Id say the poll is downright silly, not sexist. If the original intention was to amuse, well that hasn't worked anyway, so Ford would have been better off had they backed off..
Saurabh Lahiri is offline   Reply With Quote