Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th January 2017, 18:11   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What are the advantages / differences of the WR-V compared to the Jazz?

Can see beautiful alloy wheels, side cladding and ground clearance - but that formula has never worked in the Indian market before.
Vs the Liva cross, i20 Active and Avventura, the WR-V looks like a much better effort. I see considerable sheet metal change at the front. Front fender, hood and bumper are totally new. You can see they have made it more horizontal to look like a crossover.

Same at the back with a new bootlid and tail lights extended to boot lid.

It's overall a much better effort than what Hyundai and Toyota did. It is closer to the Ecosport actually from the front and I think it looks smart.

Like I mentioned if they give the 1.5L petrol engine it deserves along with the diesel and price it marginally above the Jazz and they could succeed with the WR-V.

Ideally they should undercut the Ecosport and Brezza marginally as 1 is feature laden (Ecosport) and other has a Maruti badge on it.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 18:50   #17
BHPian

Default re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

Brio, Amaze, Mobilio, BRV, Jazz, City, and now this WRV. I can't but have a sense of deja-vu about this.

10 years ago.

Indica, Indigo, Marina, Indigo XL, CS, Vista. A once mighty manufacturer becomes complacent and starts churning out iteration after iteration of the same car. Minor differentiation, similar cabins, similar engines, falling quality standards. Market demanding all-new products and management stubbornly refusing to provide the same. Finally, lower sales and brand equity going to the dogs.

Honda needs to stop milking the Brio platform and come up with something entirely new. That 1.2 petrol may have been cutting edge a few years back but is now only par for course. The diesel engine was average to begin with. Build quality issues have to be fixed asap. The premium-ness has to come from the product itself, not its price tag. Snobby pricing strategies will get them nowhere. They better put their heads down and come up with a well engineered, honest product at honest prices.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 18:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

For Honda to make a difference with this WR-V, and forget the failures of Jazz, Mobilio and BR-V, they have to price it very very competitively. I mean, 5.5L for base Petrol and 6.5L for base Diesel. Am I day-dreaming?
Old 26th January 2017, 19:02   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Especially given how the EcoSport and Brezza have a hold on the segment on one end and the Creta/Duster on the other, why'd one consider Honda?! Heck, even the SCross and Baleno could overlap.
Why? In my opinion there is only one possible answer to that question. The 1.5L petrol. (If it happens).
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 19:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Brio, Amaze, Mobilio, BRV, Jazz, City, and now this WRV. I can't but have a sense of deja-vu about this.

10 years ago.

Indica, Indigo, Marina, Indigo XL, CS, Vista....

Honda needs to stop milking the Brio platform and come up with something entirely new...
Don't think that is a fair comparison. Brio, Amaze, Mobile & BRV are based on the Brio platform, whereas City, Jazz & WRV would share the same, bigger platform. The WRV theoretically should drive and ride better than the Brio siblings - provided they bring it with the 1.5 motor.

Is it just me, or do those alloys look like 16 inchers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
...5.5L for base Petrol and 6.5L for base Diesel. Am I day-dreaming?
I think you are!!

Just take a look at the discussion so far - We all want more features (1.5 L engine, adjustable rear head rests, sensors on door handles, auto dimming IRVM's), yet want Honda to price the package "sensibly"! How is that even possible? Let the product be launched and then let's pass judgements!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 19:16   #21
BHPian

Not able to figure out "launch a hatch first and then launch a cross over based entirely on it with some cladding/roof rails and few pseudo aggressive elements " formula of most companies.

Elite i20 -> i20 Active
Polo -> Cross Polo
Liva -> Etios Cross
Punto -> Aventura / Urban cross

None of these have taken off as well as the original hatch itself it was spun off from. It does not take much for the ordinary buyer to stand in a showroom with the Jazz and the WR-V side by side and figure things out. . A similar trick with the Mobilio to BR-V has not exactly worked out as they wanted to and they are trying a similar trick with the WR-V / Jazz.

Ecosport, Breeza etc are unique as far the common car buyer is concerned, so no point comparing the WR-V with them.

Will the 1.5 VTEC help things for the WR-V - may be, question is can Honda keep the costs down?. I am skeptical about WR-V's success in India. Honda can definitely do better. Honda better watch out for the Nexon and how Tata is inching close to them in overall sales.
The Observer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 19:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, the biggest challenge for Honda would be to make people relate the WRV to these vehicles. I feel the market will only perceive it as a natural competition for i20 Active, Avventura, Etios Cross and Cross Polo.

Creta / S-Cross/ Ecosport/ Duster all were unique designs in the market, which didn't have its identity questioned by the presence of their hatchback versions in the same showroom. Honda would be aware of this though, since they had already played this game when the BRV was launched over the Mobilio.
I think Honda would seriously want to project it as a new SUV and not as a cross or not even remotely related to a hatchback product.

Quote:
For Honda to make a difference with this WR-V, and forget the failures of Jazz, Mobilio and BR-V, they have to price it very very competitively. I mean, 5.5L for base Petrol and 6.5L for base Diesel. Am I day-dreaming?
You are long from day dreaming Sir. Just imagine, a SUV based out of Brio starts at 8,99,000 exshowroom Delhi and goes all the way upto 15L. This is 'based' on Jazz which itself starts from 5,89,000 here in Delhi. Even if it's a cross version, it has to be atleast a lakh above Jazz but it hardly looks as if its just a robust cross version. My Guess is Honda would try to project it as compact SUV (but >4m) and price it at par with Duster at over 8L.

Also, on a side note, what's up with naming the vehicle with manufactures these days? Firstly Mahindra coming up with XUV500, then TUV300, KUV100, now TUV500? And even Honda on a similar lines now, CRV(no harms with this one), then came BRV and now WR-V, seriously Honda? One word, Ewwww

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 19:34   #23
BHPian

1.5 liter engine is essential and would be great to have. 1.5 Jazz has gotten rave reviews, and hope for the same from WR-V. But I have few doubts with regards to that, as it would significantly negate the benefit of going with 4 meters.

Also, I compared it to Jazz in a very unscientific way, by overlaying jazz on the side profile of WR-V using photoshop, and matching the wheel positions. Pardon the imperfections in the below image.

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-wrvvsjazzz.png

Slight height increase, accentuated by roof rails, raked grill and bonnet replaced by more SUVish front end. Real calibration in comparison image is not perfect, though it does appear that it won't rake as much as current Jazz.

I expect a Brezza-Baleno relationship between Jazz and WR-V. If it does come with 1.5 petrol engine, and considering Honda's pricing trends, below is my price guess, being realistic. I hope the actual prices are 20-30k below this.

E MT Petrol: 6.9 lakhs
S MT Petrol: 7.6 lakhs
SV MT Petrol: 8.0 lakhs
V MT Petrol: 8.4 lakhs
VX MT Petrol: 9 lakhs

S CVT Petrol: 8.7 lakhs
V CVT Petrol: 9.5 lakhs

E MT Diesel: 8.0 lakhs
S MT Diesel: 8.7 lakhs
SV MT Diesel: 9.1 lakhs
V MT Diesel: 9.5 lakhs
VX MT Diesel: 10.1 lakhs

Last edited by autorahul : 26th January 2017 at 19:37. Reason: Mistakes corrected
autorahul is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 19:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

Just take a look at the discussion so far - We all want more features (1.5 L engine, adjustable rear head rests, sensors on door handles, auto dimming IRVM's), yet want Honda to price the package "sensibly"! How is that even possible? Let the product be launched and then let's pass judgements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Just imagine, a SUV based out of Brio starts at 8,99,000 exshowroom Delhi and goes all the way upto 15L. This is 'based' on Jazz which itself starts from 5,89,000 here in Delhi. Even if it's a cross version, it has to be atleast a lakh above Jazz but it hardly looks as if its just a robust cross version. My Guess is Honda would try to project it as compact SUV (but >4m) and price it at par with Duster at over 8L.
Guys, relax! I was not predicting the price!

Now, what I was saying is: forget about all the blunders Honda did with those cars by over-pricing them. Price it below Brezza, and get something from the market. Just because Honda priced their other cars sky-high doesn't mean they have to keep on doing the same mistake and face another defeat.

Otherwise, launch another over-priced "H", add one more to the "flop" list, and "crawl" ahead.
Old 26th January 2017, 19:45   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

I agree. One of the reasons for City to start off with a bang was great pricing but later Honda got greedy and made a mess of a good product.

WR-V is a product in a segment which is not very popular in India anyways so I don't think this will make any difference to there fortune but can show there intent towards the Indian market.
Old 26th January 2017, 19:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I think the stories of BRV, Mobilio and Jazz would be enough for a time for self-introspection.
Namanchaudhary - I simply fail to understand this above statement. Jazz has been doing relatively well and has been clocking about 3000 units per month (sans the last 2 months) and has been a savior for Honda along with the City. How can you even compare Jazz with BRV and Mobilio !!! You need to go through the monthly and annual car sales report before posting incorrect information
vijjuvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 20:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda has a big opportunity here, and I hope the WR-V is priced, positioned & equipped to kill.

The WR-V should definitely get Honda's sweet 1.5L engine. The Jazz' 1.2L is too weak. The EcoSport got a 1.5L / 1.0 turbo-petrol, and the Vitara Brezza petrol will also be a 1.0 turbo.
+10, That's what Honda should do First to compensate the Higher Price. Plonking the same 1.2 Petrol and asking 60-100k more is a disaster waiting to happen. Honda should offer bigger engine if not the Small Turbo one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
1.5L Petrol Manual on this surely reminds me of the 1.6 Duratec Fusion! What a combo it would be on this one. I just hope the thought prevails. And the price of course! Lets see how Honda plays this Ace of Spades if it thinks its has one.
That would be great combo, but Honda will have answer like this,

This 1.5 iVTEC isn't offered with WR-V due to the Price Factor. Launching it would have made it more expensive & would put the car out of competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
If Honda cannot price it below Ecosport and give 1.5L petrol engine they should just scrap the project as it will hurt there image even more. They are launching flop after flop since last 3 year or so and other than City all there products are a big waste of time though I personally like Jazz and BR-V.
This WR-V won't do well without that 1.5 iVTEC from City. That's a given thing. They haven't launched Flop after Flop, it's due to High Price & Poor Features that Buyers are not walking into thier Showrooms.

I am a Die Hard Fan of Honda. But, the City & Brio are the only Honda's in our garage. I liked Jazz very much but High Price & not so realistic Offers made me to look elsewhere. I bought Baleno despite its light build which I don't like.

Honda needs to make sure that they either price the car well (Any of thier car for that matter) or equip it really well. This combination hasn't been attempted by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I am going to go against the tide here and say, I'm very skeptical how this is going to pan out.

Not entirely because of the product but because how Honda has handled the Indian market in the last year or so.

They've milked the Brio platform relentlessly with the Brio, Amaze and the Mobilio. And the BR-V too. And now they have WR-V, which shares the platform with Jazz, and the City too?
Derivatives are good in a market where much differentiation isn't much of a priority. But, in the Indian Market, the consumer wants each derivative to be different despite being of same platform. The problem with these Pseudo Crossovers is that they don't offer much from thier Hatchback Siblings.

To be successful, you must have a cars like Figo & Ecosport rather then Figo & Figo Cross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Honda must offer this with the 1.5L i-VTEC engine. The 1.2L engine is just below average if they are trying to sell this car as a crossover or use SUV name next to it.

It makes no sense over the Jazz and no differentiation whatsoever to command a premium.

Secondly the price has to be bang on. They will shoot themselves in the head if they fumble that up. The BR-V and Mobilio as well as mediocre jazz numbers should be a strong reminder for them.

Already I can see no projector lights, no request sensor on door and no auto dimming IRVM. This means it's short on features yet again.
You're right. This needs 1.5 & Honda should offer it as option if not as standard. Else, this one is next in line for Burying. Honda needs to understand that this is the Cross Version of Jazz & not an C-SUV. Hence they should either pack enough substance or they should price it well.

Honda hasn't addressed the low feature list, a negative that has hurt them badly for thier cars apart from City. Looks like, they would continue with same mindset. Low Equipment List & Premium Pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
I am referring to the pics where the rear seats are visible. Looking by the profile of the headrests I don't think the variants snapped here are the top-end ones.

Honda should really do something about the rear seats in the non VX variants of Jazz/WRV. IMHO a non-functional head rest is completely unsafe. Considering that the WRV will be priced higher than the Jazz, variant-to-variant, Honda should definitely sort this issue out.
Good Finding. Integrated Headrests are a sore sight in this car. Not acceptable on a car that will cost above 10 lakhs. Honda, you have not learnt your mistake, you won't learn even now or in near future.

Quote:
What are the advantages / differences of the WR-V compared to the Jazz?

Can see beautiful alloy wheels, side cladding and ground clearance - but that formula has never worked in the Indian market before.
Apart from New Front End, slightly tweaked rear, everything else is same like Jazz. But, Honda will be marketing this as a C-SUV. It will be positioned to rival the Brezza & Ecosport. And this will make them Price it high. If they position it as a Cross Version Of Jazz, it won't do well just as Other rivals have shown.

Quote:
I hope what you said would happen in reality. But knowing Honda & How they priced the Jazz & BR-V & Even Accord Hybrid for that matter, we expect WR-V to be another Premium Priced Car that would be showing signs of Failure. I can see this WR-V doing well only if they price it extremely well.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 20:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijjuvk View Post
Namanchaudhary - I simply fail to understand this above statement. Jazz has been doing relatively well and has been clocking about 3000 units per month (sans the last 2 months) and has been a savior for Honda along with the City. How can you even compare Jazz with BRV and Mobilio !!! You need to go through the monthly and annual car sales report before posting incorrect information
What I meant was, Honda, before launching Jazz must've dreamed of doing sales compared to that of i20 and Baleno but sadly that didn't happen. Jazz, although an amazing machine, in terms of sales is doing pretty average numbers. For such a well engineered product, you'd expect it to do way better and simply blame the pricing for this disaster and hence compared it to Mobilio and BRV.

Hope I didn't offend you in any way
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 20:12   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The WR-V should definitely get Honda's sweet 1.5L engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
1.5L Petrol Manual on this surely reminds me of the 1.6 Duratec Fusion! What a combo it would be on this one. I just hope the thought prevails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
If Honda cannot price it below Ecosport and give 1.5L petrol engine they should just scrap the project as it will hurt there image even more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Honda must offer this with the 1.5L i-VTEC engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If Honda puts out a 1.5L petrol manual WR-V with a sub-10L sticker price, I'd take one.
Zauba records indicate otherwise.

Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-untitled.jpg

Let's hope someone at Honda is thinking of the 1.5L i-VTEC before homologation formalities are completed. Maybe an "RS" variant?

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts. Equipping this with 1.2 would look like Honda is trying to compete with I-20 active and polo cross.
This looks more likely as the target market in the WR-V's case.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 21:04   #30
BHPian

Autocar have confirmed that the WR-V will come with the same engine options as that of the Jazz

Source - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-403659.aspx

Quote:
The WR-V will get the same engine and gearbox options as the Jazz. These include a 90hp 1.2-litre i-VTEC petrol mated to a five-speed manual or CVT gearbox and a 100hp 1.5-litre Earth Dreams i-DTEC diesel mated to a six-speed manual.
P.S - Autocar are usually right
searacer932 is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread