Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th February 2017, 23:11   #1
BHPian

Default Jeep Wrangler V6 Petrol launched @ 56 lakhs

Quote:
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) today launched the petrol version of its popular SUV Jeep Wrangler Unlimited priced at Rs 56 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi).

This petrol version powered by a 3.6-litre V6 engine expands the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited range in India along with the 200 PS 2.8-litre (rpt) 2.8-litre TurboDiesel, which was already launched in August 2016, FCA India said in a statement.
The diesel Jeep Wrangler Unlimited was launched at a price of Rs 71.59 lakh.
Source
Highh5 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 00:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Jeep Wrangler V6 Petrol launched @ 56 lakhs

Diesel variant is 15.59L more than the petrol?

I was already shocked seeing this, but then the report said 'popular SUV'.

On a serious note, FCA should really be concentrating only on the Compass now - the make it or break it product for the Jeep brand. There is no hope for the Wrangler unless they can start local assembly.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 04:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Is this the V6 Pentastar Petrol engine?
Now that is indeed a super engine. Does duty in all the Wranglers running about in the UAE for example.
And yes, the Fiat Showroom chap on Inner Ring Road told me when I met them about 2 weeks ago, that the Petrol is likely anytime and will be 15 odd lacs cheaper than the Diesel. So his words did come true after all.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th February 2017 at 04:42.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 05:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is this the V6 Pentastar Petrol engine?
Now that is indeed a super engine. Does duty in all the Wranglers running about in the UAE for example.
And yes, the Fiat Showroom chap on Inner Ring Road told me when I met them about 2 weeks ago, that the Petrol is likely anytime and will be 15 odd lacs cheaper than the Diesel. So his words did come true after all.
I am sure it is the Pentastar. Perhaps one of the best 3.6 V6 NA engine in existence.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 06:30   #5
BHPian

I don't understand the Fiat strategy in India. Who's gonna buy these damn expensive things.

It reminds me an old joke, "the operation was successful, but the patient died".
Wildy is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 14:00   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Jeep Wrangler V6 Petrol launched @ 56 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
I don't understand the Fiat strategy in India. Who's gonna buy these damn expensive things.
At this price, it's more accessible to the rich. From being 'obscenely priced' (Wrangler Diesel), now it's merely 'overpriced'. Lets not forget that small luxury cars like the C-Class now cost 47 lakhs ex-showroom & an X1 has variants at 42 lakhs.

Yes, the Jeep is still overpriced and it's not going to be a hit, but we'll surely be seeing some more of these legends on the road.

I'm not big on petrol offroaders due to the lack of low-end torque. That said, BHPians in the posts above praise the engine, so I'll go by their word (haven't driven it myself).
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2017, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now that is indeed a super engine
Quote:
Perhaps one of the best 3.6 V6 NA engine in existence.
Yes but with an old 5 Speed Gearbox. As mentioned on a different thread

V6 Petrol + 5 Speed Gearbox + Indian Traffic

Quote:
BHPians in the posts above praise the engine, so I'll go by their word
yes, the engine is great but overall handling and the way power comes is severely let down by chassis/ rigid axles and 5 gears. My son has a 2 Door Sahara, when I last drove on a highway, the ride was more like rowing a boat, it was a windy day

From personal experience, unlike other Petrol engines, you don't have to rev it too hard say if you are stuck in the snow. And it has amazing control/ brakes on a slippery surface at low to moderate speeds.

This will be a massive failure like Diesel. They should have planned this better, many will lose money - Manufacturer ( due to overheads and all that marketing expenses ) Dealers ( who invested in showrooms ) and Customer ( if at all there are)

In my opinion, Wrangler should have been positioned as a halo product - they could have launched Sahara 2 Door Soft Top in Diesel & priced about 45-50 Lac. Even if they would not have made money, at least they could have created an inspirational Jeep Brand which would have given them a premium in lower segment products they plan to launch a little later.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th February 2017 at 14:29.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hello, I took a test drive 2 days back. All I can say is Vow on all aspects. I would have signed the buying except for the pricing! 70 lacs on road is crazy. Told the consultant, for 55 lacs will buy whenever they come down. The V6 is just fantastic. It's a serious Toy for men, though I fall in the senior citizens category now unfortunately would love to own one.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote